Question about UFC?

Posted by: Anonymous

Question about UFC? - 03/30/05 01:28 PM

Why is it that it seems that all of the UFC fighters are massive in size and strength? Isn't this image the antithesis of a martial arts master? In all of my martial arts training it is taught that technique, (especially in Judo) is supposed to win out over brute strengh. In fact, if someone is using brute strength then they are performing their martial art incorrectly.
Posted by: schanne

Re: Question about UFC? - 03/30/05 02:16 PM

There are thousands that box and train in MA, many are not in the spot light and can afford to be "some what out of shape" but think about all the pros you see in the UFC and boxers. 99% of the guys I see are cut and in perfect shape. If you want to play with those boys you better be in perfect physical condition & look the part too. Anything to gain the "edge"
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Question about UFC? - 03/30/05 03:35 PM

I can see your point, but you can be in the best physical condition, and have like 5% or less body fat, (be totally cut), and not be buff. What about Bruce Lee? He obviously was cut, but not physically massive?
Posted by: Ed Glasheen

Re: Question about UFC? - 03/30/05 03:49 PM

That is what the promoters want. Steroid monsters. Pride IMHO is better. Better selection of fighters.
Ed