am i actually alowed to use to on the street with in reason ?

Posted by: Anonymous

am i actually alowed to use to on the street with in reason ? - 03/25/05 05:55 AM

iv'e been doin judo for almost 3 months now and just a quick question to those who have mastered this art of judo in self defence can i actually use my judo skills on someone who tries to attack me ?
Posted by: JohnL

Re: am i actually alowed to use to on the street with in reason ? - 03/25/05 07:04 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by judo118:
iv'e been doin judo for almost 3 months now and just a quick question to those who have mastered this art of judo in self defence can i actually use my judo skills on someone who tries to attack me ?[/QUOTE]

No, you should just curl up in a ball and whimper for a while as the guy beats on you.

[IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/frown.gif[/IMG]

JohnL

Re: am i actually alowed to use to on the street with in reason ? - 03/25/05 08:44 AM

what do you mean by that mate ?

Re: am i actually alowed to use to on the street with in reason ? - 03/25/05 08:49 AM

i mean is it legal to do so ? i no im not gona let someone beat me up am i ?

Re: am i actually alowed to use to on the street with in reason ? - 03/25/05 10:25 AM

I bought a car 3 months ago. Do you think I should keep walking to work? Why do it if your not going to use it?? [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/confused.gif[/IMG]

Use your head man! If Someone is trying to beat you up, use the judo or anything else to keep that from happening.

Or you can take Johns advice. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG] If we never hear from you again, we'll know what you decided.

Page

Re: am i actually alowed to use to on the street with in reason ? - 03/25/05 12:04 PM

what do you mean by that mate ?[/QUOTE]

1. I'm not your mate.

2. If you didn't understand my original post you're clearly as thick as two short planks and you wouldn't understand the explanation either.

JohnL

[This message has been edited by JohnL (edited 03-25-2005).]

Re: am i actually alowed to use to on the street with in reason ? - 03/25/05 12:45 PM

thank you for your enteries ,johnl what is your problem ? are you a martial artist yourself ?

Re: am i actually alowed to use to on the street with in reason ? - 03/25/05 12:49 PM

thank you for your enteries ,johnl what is your problem ? are you a martial artist yourself ?[/QUOTE]

No I just sit at a computer and wonder why people want to do something as violent as a martial art.

JohnL

Re: am i actually alowed to use to on the street with in reason ? - 03/25/05 01:03 PM

are you a martial art instructer ? johnl?

Re: am i actually alowed to use to on the street with in reason ? - 03/25/05 01:08 PM

and ur problem is ? im a martial artist myself why cant u get along with me ?

Re: am i actually alowed to use to on the street with in reason ? - 04/19/05 02:04 PM

dude, it is perfectly legal to use judo or any other martial art on someone attacking you. You can even knock them out if nesscesary. Judo i great for self defense but i would learn a striking art like ti quan do as well. all the best

Re: am i actually alowed to use to on the street with in reason ? - 04/20/05 12:40 PM

Well im scandinavian, also i dont have a slightest clue whats JohnL:s problem. But our law says your allowed to defend yourself using least force/violence as possible, as the situation requires. Ie if someone hits you your allowed by the law to hit back, but not kick on the face anymore when hes down on the ground. Whats necessary for you to do defend your life/health its allowed. I was sometimes thaught at a kungfu class, step back a few steps, if the attacker follows its quite clear under our law.

Re: am i actually alowed to use to on the street with in reason ? - 04/20/05 02:05 PM

Have you ever heard the phrase "there is no such thing as a dumb question" ?

The person that coined that phrase was 100% WRONG!

John doesn't have a problem. He just has allergic reactions to simpletons and refuses to take his medication [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

Page

Re: am i actually alowed to use to on the street with in reason ? - 04/22/05 08:32 AM

and ur problem is ? im a martial artist myself why cant u get along with me ?[/QUOTE]

Its your attitude. Your bad spelling and grammar reflects your respect for this forum and the people on it.

For example: You seem to take about 2 seconds typing,and thinking of topics/replies,which reflects your respect.

Try and spell correctly and use good grammar and read through your post several times before posting. If you do this I insure you, not only will you get more replies but you will get better ones, AND be treated like a fellow Martial Artist.

You are a Judoka, so try to follow the principles that a true Judoka should follow,the principles laid down by Mr Kano.
Posted by: Ed Glasheen

Re: am i actually alowed to use to on the street with in reason ? - 04/22/05 03:32 PM

Ok lets get back on track. Judo 118, your question is a basic one that is repeated over and over again. So why don't you, for example, pick a technque and ask if anyone uses it selfdefense. Or better yet study Judo a little longer and you will be able to answer your own question.
Ed

Re: am i actually alowed to use to on the street with in reason ? - 04/23/05 06:19 AM

Ed,I'm new to Judo myself and the only throw I 'half-know' is Osto Gari. Ive heard it is very effective for self-defence yet it seems to be best used when Tori (the attacker) is moving backwords, isnt this a bit of a floor as most attackers will be aggressivly moving fowards.

Re: am i actually alowed to use to on the street with in reason ? - 04/23/05 06:55 PM

Osoto gari has many setups. Off balancing your opponent is key. In the street I'll grab my opponents throat ( with my right hand ) instead of their clothes. Tends to get them going backwards. If at any time you get foward pressure, you can switch to Tai-otoshi very quickly.
Ed

Re: am i actually alowed to use to on the street with in reason ? - 04/24/05 10:56 AM

I have used Osoto Gari several times in real street situations - it usually works very well. However, I like to use it real quickly without any warning-surprise you're on the ground! Anyway the last time I tried it and didn't fully commit and the guy blocked it I then went to some kind of single leg take down with an inside reap/sweep and the guy went down. He fell back and it resulted in a strained knee and ankle (for him.) Judo is a good martial art for street application, in my humble opinion.

Re: am i actually alowed to use to on the street with in reason ? - 04/24/05 12:50 PM

Hi Intrepidinv1- I just read your profile, and it says your a police officer do you use use the "grab to the neck not the clothes" tactic while on the job? Do you use Judo at all?

Just wondered.

Re: am i actually alowed to use to on the street with in reason ? - 04/24/05 06:57 PM

Mmmmm, I think I said that? Ed

Re: am i actually alowed to use to on the street with in reason ? - 04/25/05 09:26 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MiSt:
Hi Intrepidinv1- I just read your profile, and it says your a police officer do you use use the "grab to the neck not the clothes" tactic while on the job? Do you use Judo at all?

Just wondered.
[/QUOTE]

I have used judo on several occasions. I usually grab the clothes when I do Osoto Gari on the street. Sometimes I use my right arm hard against the chest similiar to some Aikido throws. I wouldn't strike to the throat unless the situation warranted it.

Re: am i actually alowed to use to on the street with in reason ? - 04/25/05 10:55 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ed Glasheen:
Mmmmm, I think I said that? Ed[/QUOTE]

Ops,sorry mis-read.