first judo class

Posted by: Anonymous

first judo class - 03/14/05 04:14 PM

jeez am i bushed, i have red rashes everywhere, my forearms are killing me, i skinned my big toes and i loved it!!!
I think i found the art for me.
Just one question is the skinning of your big toes an everyday occurence or do you get past it ( or is it just me ), man their killing me right now.

Re: first judo class - 03/14/05 08:01 PM

Judo will beat the heck out of your toes. Start taking care of them now. Not only are they in danger of being skinned, but your big toe can easily get turned under and messed up. Also I've seen way too many little toes broken as they snagged on the mat when the rest of the foot rotated.

I used to think it was a little weak to use tape on my toes, but after numerous breaks and sprains I won't step on the mat without at least some tape aroubd my big toe joint.

I hope you get to experience the skin coming off of your first finger joints too. You sound like the kind of person who might like that.

Good Luck with the Judo

--Dallas

Re: first judo class - 03/16/05 04:37 AM

I love love love Judo, but for God sakes be careful...here are only a few of the injuries I have either experienced or caused over the years (besides those already mentioned)...

- pulled muscles (more than I can count)
- broken fingers
- sheared tendons (knee - I was driving a throw hard and he was trying to block the throw - I drover harder than he blocked)
- separated shoulders (both)
- I almost but my tongue in half (he was driving hard for one arm should throw and he drove his shoulder into my lower jaw - I happened ot have my tongue between my teeth)
- choked a few poeple completely out - KNOW WHEN TO TAP!!

I have been in karate for 20+ years and judo for about fifteen and have had WAY more inuries in judo.

Wonderful art form but do take care. Its dangerous out there.

Korb

Re: first judo class - 03/16/05 03:46 PM

cheers guys. I used to do judo as a kid some 20? years ago, needless to say i dont remember much. I remember how to breakfall but thats about it.
"I hope you get to experience the skin coming off of your first finger joints too. You sound like the kind of person who might like that." man I cant wait [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG]
Good tip with the tape though, what type do you use? duct tape? [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

Re: first judo class - 03/16/05 03:53 PM

I suppose duct tape would work in a pinch. I use white cloth athletic tape. The weird part is having to shave the tops of my toes.

--Dallas