anyone has done wrestling also??

Posted by: Anonymous

anyone has done wrestling also?? - 03/07/05 06:04 PM

hey im doing wrestling right now since i cannot find arts like judo. i am wondering if some judo moves are allowed. like i saw this wrestler and when someone was behind him..he threw him onto the ground over and was attached to him before hitting the ground...is this one of judo move? if it is..anyone know any other useful judo moves that i can use in wrestling??

Re: anyone has done wrestling also?? - 03/07/05 07:26 PM

I've never done wrestling, but I know that, for example, wrestling has a move called the "jap-whizzer," which is a drop-seonage, in judo. And beyond that, I don't see why any judo move can't be used in wrestling. Again, I don't know the rules of high school/college wrestling, but I imagine the only limiting factor is the practicality of the move. E.g. swallow-reverse-flip, or whatever, is not going to fly on a wrestling mat.

Re: anyone has done wrestling also?? - 03/10/05 05:48 PM

Hello! To answer your question (since I just went into Wrestling this year):

I talked to my coach and asked him about these martial arts kinds of things and he said it was definitely okay (as long as I don't break people intentionally and know what I'm doing)! Also, wrestling will help you in a variety of ways when you go into other grappling arts...just don't get too cocky because most of the time the mechanics of the martial arts and wrestling are vastly apart!

Just remember: Wrestling technically is a "martial art" because it concern you and your body, and technically it CAN be used for defense..so go out and enjoy the sport, from one Martial Artist/Wrestler to another!

Re: anyone has done wrestling also?? - 03/29/05 09:42 PM

i am doing wrsling and judo at same time, wrestling for the school team and judo for my club.
i attempted to do a ogoshi in wrestling once and that didnt work, then i just realised it is more difficult to throw someone who keeps their central weight low, takedowns are easier. also once in the local secondary school wrestling contest, i did a jujigatame to my opponent acidentally, but judger called stop and warn me not to do that again.
i think half nelson works really well in judo when you try to flip someone over. (half nelson then move around )

Re: anyone has done wrestling also?? - 03/30/05 02:05 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by bjw007:
i am doing wrsling and judo at same time, wrestling for the school team and judo for my club.
i attempted to do a ogoshi in wrestling once and that didnt work, then i just realised it is more difficult to throw someone who keeps their central weight low, takedowns are easier. also once in the local secondary school wrestling contest, i did a jujigatame to my opponent acidentally, but judger called stop and warn me not to do that again.
i think half nelson works really well in judo when you try to flip someone over. (half nelson then move around )
[/QUOTE]

im not in judo but im in wrestling and the only move that i know of that IS a wrestling move is a suplex (no not like in WWF where they slam them on their head) its when one guy is behind another and the guy behind shifts his weight down and pulls the other guy over him and back, but it is an illegal move, but it IS legl in freestyle wrestling, but i like traditional roman graco wrestling

Re: anyone has done wrestling also?? - 04/22/05 09:30 PM

Judo was put together so they could practice full speed without hurting each other, and that's the main thing in wrestling. The only thing is that all the locks are against the rules(obviously). A lot of the things in judo that work in a fight and judo, expose you to bad positioning or a pin in wrestling. Just keep listening to your coach. Wrestling isn't the type of thing that you can cross train for a wrestling tournament. Wrestlings definatly good for other comptetions though.