Old and fat...judo newbie?

Posted by: Anonymous

Old and fat...judo newbie? - 02/08/05 11:58 AM

Okay, here's the deal. I'm 6'5", 340 lbs, but am in good shape for someone of my weight. Nevertheless, I'm trying to shed some pounds - in that spirit I'm eating better, walking every day and lifting weights. Along with that, I'd like to start training and I think judo sounds like the right style for me. I think it could help me a lot with balance, with discipline and with overall confidence.

So the question to you experts is...should someone like me start training or not?
Posted by: schanne

Re: Old and fat...judo newbie? - 02/08/05 02:42 PM

I always view people who use thier age or weight to inhibit them from thier goals as lazy. Your on the right course by eating well and excersising. 350lbs. is heavy but if you put your mind to it you can loose the lbs. in know time. Of course if you have some sort of medical problem (very few do) than check with your doctor first otherwise there no reason why you can't start your MA gourney right now. Are there any other dojo's in your area, not that there is anything wrong with Judo, but I'm curious what other styles are availble as well. Hey.........good luck!

Re: Old and fat...judo newbie? - 02/08/05 03:28 PM

Judo can be a great asset to your health plan and it's great fun.

I encourage you to go visit and/or participate in a class! Where are you located?

Re: Old and fat...judo newbie? - 02/08/05 04:13 PM

The north side of Phoenix, Arizona. I'm sure that most of the major styles are taught somewhere in driving distance. Judo appeals to me specifically however - from what I've read it's a style that wouldn't force me to hurt my partners as much in the learning of it. I found a dojo online that teaches it. I'll probably go check into it tonight. Aside from my weight, I don't have any health issues...my doc just wants me to shed some lbs.

Thanks for the replies.
Posted by: kiwi

Re: Old and fat...judo newbie? - 02/10/05 02:36 AM

I believe in Judo its better to be overweight then underweight. There is absolutely no reason why you shouldn't do Judo barring health problems.

Re: Old and fat...judo newbie? - 02/10/05 05:53 AM

Yeah!

I would suggest judo for everyone and I believe judo is a perfect choise for you.

Re: Old and fat...judo newbie? - 02/12/05 06:10 PM

Just be careful your heart is in good enough shape to handle randori. Your weight will be an asset to you sometimes, but randori practice has got to be one of the most strenuous activities ever.. Be sure not to overdo it at first!
Posted by: kiwi

Re: Old and fat...judo newbie? - 02/12/05 11:07 PM

Yea, remember there is nothing wrong with sitting down if you think you've over done it.
Posted by: kman

Re: Old and fat...judo newbie? - 03/04/05 08:56 AM

Red Giant,,when I lived in Phx some yrs ago,,Christoph Lenninger had a dojo on the north side. He's a former national champion,U.S. olympian and 2 time UFC fighter. His work outs can be brutal so that advice about taking breathers is right on. I can recall being to wiped to drive home. Sitting on a curb sipping gatorade and waiting to stop puking and shaking. (think I over did it?) K-

Re: Old and fat...judo newbie? - 03/05/05 03:26 PM

Im not old and fat( well maybe a little )but I start judo next week and am both excited and a little apprehensive, I've always hated first days anywhere.
My question is any tips on what to expect, what should i wear