Nails

Posted by: Anonymous

Nails - 01/25/05 12:00 PM

Just wondering, but I recently joined a BJJ club and had a grip on someone. He jerked away and half of my nail ripped off my finger. Not that it's a serious injury, but I was surprised because my nails were trimmed, and I hadn't had that ever happen in my 1 year of Judo. Do you guys think that the cause could be something like lack of calcium? Or does it "just happen" sometimes?
(I also realize that I should have been holding with my fingers rather than finertips)

Re: Nails - 01/25/05 07:29 PM

Ouch!

I don't know if you've heard this one or not, but coating your nails with clear nail polish/protector is supposed to provide some strenghtening. I've heard of American Football players using it to keep their nails from ripping off on someone else's jersey.

Never tried it myself.

--Dallas
Posted by: still wadowoman

Re: Nails - 01/28/05 01:47 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dallas:
Ouch!

Never tried it myself.

--Dallas
[/QUOTE]

.............. he added hastily [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG]
Sharon
Posted by: kiwi

Re: Nails - 01/29/05 04:57 AM

I think its just something that happens in Judo. I've seen it happen only once (and I've ripped enough toenails off to know how it feels). I think Judo just puts a **** load of pressure on our fingers and things like this are biound to happen. I'm always ripping the callouses off the top of my fingers, its actually happened once during a circle drill (where your run round the circle throwing every person) by the time I'd realised every single person training had their gi colar smeared with blood [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

Re: Nails - 01/29/05 11:30 AM

I find those top of the finger calluses fascinating. Only a judo gi can give you calluses on top of the first joint of your fingers.

Yeah, Sharon, real judoka don't need fingernails (just lots and lots of tape and ibuprofen).

--Dallas
Posted by: Ed Glasheen

Re: Nails - 01/29/05 04:58 PM

Never had my finger nails rip off..but I did have the back of my ear tear....twice....fun stuff...now I have to wear...ear protectors...
Ed

Re: Nails - 02/03/05 03:56 PM

Yikes! Isnt judo supposed to be a safe sport? haha
Posted by: FearlessJones

Re: Nails - 02/07/05 10:50 PM

Goliath, it happens to the best of us, and other than keeping your nails short, and possibly changing your grip(as in not digging into the gi with the tips of your fingers), I dint think there's much you can do. If you're prone to getting your nails pulled off there's always tape...