Triangle choke

Posted by: Anonymous

Triangle choke - 12/26/04 09:35 AM

Hmm this maybe hard to understand but bare with me [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG]

...does it matter in the triangle choke wich leg goes around the neck? Like does the leg on the same side as opponents arm go around the neck or the opposite leg

or does it eaven matter and if it matters wich one is better =P

Hope this made any sense!

Re: Triangle choke - 12/27/04 04:22 PM

The proper Triangle position is that the leg on the shoulder should go behind the head and figure four on the other side.

There are variations however. Matt Thornton showed me a cool way to get the choke even when your legs are wrong.
Posted by: sophia

Re: Triangle choke - 12/28/04 06:59 PM

I was always taught to have the straight leg on the side of the opponent’s shoulder and the ‘bent leg on the opposite side. The idea is that the opponent’s own shoulder helps chokes him on one side. There is a variation but I have never been able to make it work in practice.
Do you guys try to twist such that your torso and your opponent’s torso are approaching a right angle (when viewed from above)?

Re: Triangle choke - 12/28/04 10:07 PM

I was always taught to have the straight leg on the side of the opponent’s shoulder and the ‘bent leg on the opposite side. The idea is that the opponent’s own shoulder helps chokes him on one side.

This is correct.

Do you guys try to twist such that your torso and your opponent’s torso are approaching a right angle (when viewed from above)?

This is also absolutely correct. The perpendicular position makes the hold tighter and more comfortable as it takes stress off your knee. It also sets up an optional straight armlock and the ability to sweep by hooking and lifting the near leg.

This position also allows you to grab the leg to prevent the lift and slam tactic.

Re: Triangle choke - 02/28/05 01:57 PM

My triangle is the same as all you guy's: figure four. If you want it real tight pull the arm that is in the way across their face and under their chin- grab the back of the head- one hand on their wrist holding the arm in place and the other on the back of their head- squeeze and pull the head twards you.
(Yack I can feel the head ache)
Posted by: schanne

Re: Triangle choke - 03/02/05 01:27 PM

Also the choke requires your opponent right arm to be forward too. It is very similar to a standing choke but only done with your legs.

Re: Triangle choke - 03/02/05 02:01 PM

i have no particular way of doing this technique, but just for a reminder if anyone didn't already know,when exicuting the stangle if in the contest area of judo you ***must have the ukes arm between your legs aswell, if you don't you'll get disquailified for do-jime(leg crush)to the neck, although many a street fighter may want to use this to your advantage.
Posted by: schanne

Re: Triangle choke - 03/02/05 03:57 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Judoka James:
i have no particular way of doing this technique, but just for a reminder if anyone didn't already know,when exicuting the stangle if in the contest area of judo you ***must have the ukes arm between your legs aswell, if you don't you'll get disquailified for do-jime(leg crush)to the neck, although many a street fighter may want to use this to your advantage.[/QUOTE]

That is what I was refering to, the choke will not work unless the arm is extended outward.

Re: Triangle choke - 03/10/05 07:36 PM

It would also be worth noting that when doing the triangle choke, not only do you pull the head towards you, but you also raise your hips to put maximum pressure.