GRAND MASTER YELLOW BELT ( LOL )

Posted by: Anonymous

GRAND MASTER YELLOW BELT ( LOL ) - 12/25/04 05:00 PM

I have been in JUDO for two year , and i,m still a yellow belt, i have tip all the black belt out in the class as while as the other belts, and yet still ever promotion i get pass over. there or other student that have came in three months after me and already move to a brown belt . i know my throws i know my ground work. but yet still i don,t understand it. i don,t come to class thinking i,m a bad ass i,m very respectful to all, ( which is because less and less able to do )i have talk to my teacher and he alway`s said oh i,m sorry did i forget to get ur belt, it seem now that it a joke when he say it, the first ok the second time ummm, and now just last week again.there are only two black guy`s in the school and we both get pass over. i hate to think that race has anything to do with it. i mean i luv the school and the training is good and i know belt not everything but this must end. please give me ur input. this is a small town and not many school`s around the closet place that have another judo school is philly and that, a hour away.
Posted by: Ed Glasheen

Re: GRAND MASTER YELLOW BELT ( LOL ) - 12/25/04 06:46 PM

Respectfully if all you want from Judo is a belt then go out and buy one.
Personally I do not like the belt system and have debated about using it or not many times. There was really never a belt system in true japanese budo arts. The culture did not need it.
My advice, go to class to improve your Judo...do not worry about the belt. Earn your respect in competition. If you dominate competition ,no sensei would hold you back.
Earning promotion requires more than technical skill.
Ed

Re: GRAND MASTER YELLOW BELT ( LOL ) - 12/26/04 03:24 PM

I Understand what you mean about the belts, but as you read i have been in there for over two years a yellow belt, trust me if it was all about the belt i would have been left the class, it just the principal .thank you for your advice.
Posted by: MartinR

Re: GRAND MASTER YELLOW BELT ( LOL ) - 12/27/04 07:59 AM

It took me a LONG time to progress in Judo - much longer for equivalant rank than the Karate and Tae Kwon Do I took. I spent about 5 years in Judo and only made it to Green belt. (Avg ~2 classes/week during college)

In my experience Judo encourages promotions more on how well one can actually DO the techniques on someone else (ALIVE type training) rather than simply pretty technique or time in grade. I've got a black belt in a small Karate style, but my experience in Judo I believe has been MUCH more beneficial to EFFECTIVE self defense.

As for other people who may have been promoted faster than you, I cannot say for certain but I would be suprised if it was race. The people you mention may simply be practicing more or have some experience that makes Judo easier for them (perhaps wrestling or simliar).

You may consider asking your instructor what you need to do to progress faster. (Practice fitting in, throws, matwork, better shape, attend more tournaments or classes, etc...)

Good luck.

Re: GRAND MASTER YELLOW BELT ( LOL ) - 12/28/04 05:58 PM

If all your sensei says when you ask him about your progress is "Oh sorry, did I forget your belt?" then that's a problem. Sounds like he isn't taking you seriously. Even if he's trying to teach you a lesson that you just don't get yet, I'd still be suspicious of someone who is behaving in this way.

Mr. Glasheen is right on about the whole belt system thing, but I understand your concern. So should your sensei.
Posted by: FearlessJones

Re: GRAND MASTER YELLOW BELT ( LOL ) - 12/28/04 10:44 PM

SB, I dont know your age or your skill level, but this much I do know, the belt doesnt mean a thing unless you plan to teach. I participated in judo for more than 4 years before ever wearing anything more than a white belt. The bigger question is are you continuing to learn in your present class? If you're stopped learning or your sensei isnt teaching you anything new, then it may be time to look for another class. If you're still learning and the problem is just getting the next belt, my advise to you is to not mention the belt for the next two promotions cycles. If you compete and you're winning your matches, the promotion will come. If you're beating higher ranks in your class then its your sensei who looks bad for not promoting you. Either way you win.

Re: GRAND MASTER YELLOW BELT ( LOL ) - 12/29/04 02:03 PM

Thank you fearless, i know what you mean , i,m 36yrs and yes i,m i,m already teaching Tae Kwon Do as while as Hapkido, at my other school.i love cross training, but i never disrespect either school, by trying to get student to join judo, as while as taekwondo,when i,m at the school my mind is set to learn.there is a tournament in philly on april 2nd and 3rd...2005 Apr 02 18th Liberty Bell Judo Championships
USA Judo E-level Senior and D-level Junior Elite point event. Philadelphia, PA Lou Moyerman
2005 Apr 03... maybe there i can prove myself once again. i know winning don,t mean your the best, just mean you the best that day. thank you all for your input...
Ed Glasheen,MartinR,Dallas,FearlessJones
Posted by: gus

Re: GRAND MASTER YELLOW BELT ( LOL ) - 12/29/04 06:51 PM

I hace been involved in judo since nineteen sixty.i have never seen any student who (over 16 yrsold)did not progress to at least san kyu(third brown) in two years.so I think somebody is putting us on.you say you are thirty six.but it doesent sound that way(or read that way.if i am out of line i apolagise

Re: GRAND MASTER YELLOW BELT ( LOL ) - 12/30/04 08:33 PM

I DON,T UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU MEAN GUS, I ASK FOR ADVICE NOTHING MORE, AND I,M THANKFUL FOR THOSE WHO GAVE THERE INPUT, AND AS FOR AGE,, ??? I DON,T KNOW WHY THAT`S A ISSUE. BUT THINK YOU AS WHILE.
Posted by: Remandman

Re: GRAND MASTER YELLOW BELT ( LOL ) - 12/31/04 10:25 AM

Myself=Seven years of judo=Green Belt and much enjoyment learning the art. If all you want is a black belt for boasting rights, then find a nice McDojo and buy one there. Just go to class, train hard and don't worry about belt levels. Your Sensei will let you know when you are ready.

Re: GRAND MASTER YELLOW BELT ( LOL ) - 01/12/05 07:15 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Remandman:
Myself=Seven years of judo=Green Belt and much enjoyment learning the art. If all you want is a black belt for boasting rights, then find a nice McDojo and buy one there. Just go to class, train hard and don't worry about belt levels. Your Sensei will let you know when you are ready.[/QUOTE]

it seem that some of you have no ideal of what i,m trying to say, it not about belt, it not about the training it about the disrespect that i have been show, i mean i put my time in i work hard i know my throws, yes a belt is just a belt, but it the ideal of being pass over time after time,once again thinks.

Re: GRAND MASTER YELLOW BELT ( LOL ) - 01/12/05 12:52 PM

Progression in Judo is slow,

I was a brown belt for Sankyu, Nikyu and Ikkyu. It took ten years before I became a Shodan. Ten yers as a brown belt, and I saw many students (black, white and asian) all promoted before me.

It didn't matter much. I had resigned myself to being a brown belt for life. About that time, when I had really come to believe that I would NEVER reach Black Belt, I was promoted. Maybe that was what my sensei was waiting for. Maybe that is what YOUR sensei is waiting for.

By the way, the fastest student I've ever seen promoted to black belt in Judo was African-American. He made shodan in 11 months. But he was an extremely talented wrestler, who picked-up Judo very fast.

Re: GRAND MASTER YELLOW BELT ( LOL ) - 01/16/05 08:51 PM

Progression in a school of Judo that isn't based on handing out belts and wants you to learn is slow to increase rank. Good, the belt/sash system is a silly one.

Are you being left out of any teachings or instruction?
Perhaps your instructor knows of your abilities and thinks you would make a great MArtist, but wants to see if you are patient and not overconfident. Maybe he wants to push your discipline just a little to see if you are disiplined and strong enough (mentally, physically, chi wise) to deal with being kept at a lower belt level?

EDIT: Typing like a middle aged adult with all 10 fingers would make you're posts easier to understand, just saying, there a little bit hard to understand.

[This message has been edited by Andreas (edited 01-16-2005).]

Re: GRAND MASTER YELLOW BELT ( LOL ) - 01/24/05 06:01 PM

I have been taking Karate for about six years and it took me just about that long to get my black belt. I just got it last year. Recently I have started BJJ, which had really complemented my Karate style. I believe that a striking art mixed with a grappleing style is very effectinve. I understand that you do not care about the belt, but give it time. It will come with patience, and given your skill shoud come relatively quickly if you have cross training experience.

-KW

Re: GRAND MASTER YELLOW BELT ( LOL ) - 01/24/05 06:29 PM

Blade, having started Judo about 30 years ago in Japan, I have personally experienced discrimination being a white person studying with all Japanese at the Kodokan. While Japanese high school students were winning their black belts with 3 matchs, it took me 20 to get my 1st degree black belt. Having said that, the only belts were white, brown and black. The brown were rare as many did not bother to get it and just studied for the black. Personally, my advise would be to study, enjoy it and when you stop learning from your current sensei, move on.

Re: GRAND MASTER YELLOW BELT ( LOL ) - 02/03/05 05:26 PM

If your dojo only has 2 black students and they are both consistantly passed over it may be racially motivated.

Either that or you **** and dont realize how bad! haha

Re: GRAND MASTER YELLOW BELT ( LOL ) - 02/16/05 03:40 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ZenFighter:
If your dojo only has 2 black students and they are both consistantly passed over it may be racially motivated.

Either that or you **** and dont realize how bad! haha
[/QUOTE]

ZenFighter, I think this post is in really bad taste.

Seriously though, My friend who practises judo is on yellow belt now after about 18 months, and is very happy with that position, many disciplines, such as TKD grade two belts in a year sometimes, whereas in judo,progression is slow.

Just imagine if everyone had a black belt in judo after 4/5 years, the title 'Black Belt' would mean nothing, if you work towards it, and it takes a lot of time and effort, then only the true 'best' will achieve the black belt.

Re: GRAND MASTER YELLOW BELT ( LOL ) - 02/16/05 12:09 PM

belts mean noting to mee
i'm a judoka for 9 jears now and i'm a green belt.
in some dojo's I know they give belts away like its candy (i think cuz they make mony for every exam)I think that there are to manny comersial dojo's(one corrupt dojo counts as to manny as well)

Re: GRAND MASTER YELLOW BELT ( LOL ) - 03/28/05 02:47 AM

I studied Judo for 6 months in Southern California and the class was nearly 100% randori. For the most part, there were only 2 of the us in the class and the other guy was over 300lbs. The master was 9th Dan. After a while, there were more students. I practiced my Judo religously and earned an Orange Belt after around the 6th month. Other students who I felt were equal to me, were awarded Green Belts. I was soooooooooo pissed at the time, I knew that in Randori I could match them and my technique was at least equal.

Re: GRAND MASTER YELLOW BELT ( LOL ) - 04/01/05 06:19 AM

Seems like promotion is determined by the sensei of your training dojo? Is this right? Here in England, promotion is determined by beating, in a grading competition, a judoka of equal or higher grade than you. Of course you need to pass the theory exam for each grade too. Both are needed, theory and competition success.
Oh - and only wazari and ippon scores count.

Re: GRAND MASTER YELLOW BELT ( LOL ) - 04/02/05 09:27 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SOUL BLADE:
I have been in JUDO for two year , and i,m still a yellow belt, i have tip all the black belt out in the class as while as the other belts, and yet still ever promotion i get pass over. there or other student that have came in three months after me and already move to a brown belt . [/QUOTE]

I believe the issue is not about belts, but different standards amongst the students. A good Sensei should be consist in regards to promotions and all other matters. If not, it could lead to low morale and discouragement.

In my opinion, I would have a serious discussion with your Sensei. Schedule a one-on-one meeting with him to go over your concerns. Hopefully, the discussion will allow the both of you to understand and respect each other's position.

Ted

[This message has been edited by Fu Man (edited 04-02-2005).]

Re: GRAND MASTER YELLOW BELT ( LOL ) - 04/07/05 03:13 AM

Maybe he's testing to see if you would quit for not progressing, he might be testing your patience. Whatever it is, I am sure it's nothing racial, don't take it the wrong way just because you're not progressing as fast as you think should. I am sure he has his ways of teaching.

Re: GRAND MASTER YELLOW BELT ( LOL ) - 04/24/05 01:44 AM

Maybe it's because your illiterate. If you respect the school like you respect you'r posts it's no wonder.

Re: GRAND MASTER YELLOW BELT ( LOL ) - 04/26/05 10:59 AM

Taking longer time to achieve belt rankings is a good thing. Too often people are advanced to the next belt without it being warranted. I do not take Judo but I do take BJJ. Right now I only practcie no-gi so belts aren't an issue. I will begin to train with a gi soon and this is the breakdown of how long it will take to reach different levels based on attending 2-3 classes a week.

Blue belt is the first belt achieved and that will take about a year to a year and a half.

Purple belt will take about two years after achieving blue, about another two years to brown and a couple more to reach black belt.