Greco-Roman and Judo

Posted by: Anonymous

Greco-Roman and Judo - 12/12/04 05:45 PM

I have done Greco-Roman wrestling and i have seen judo. I have realized that the both kinda look the same except the locks but the throws look very alike can someone tell me if they are really this much alike

Re: Greco-Roman and Judo - 12/12/04 07:43 PM

Many of them are similar.

However, with judo you can use your legs for throws. Another big difference is that the gi allows you to control your opponent better and makes throwing much easier.

A greco background would definitely help with judo.

Re: Greco-Roman and Judo - 12/12/04 08:21 PM

Ya i know you cant use your legs in greco-roman.

Re: Greco-Roman and Judo - 12/13/04 10:26 AM

I have been through greco-roman and judo, greco is more effective around the place i live,

but,

judo around here is not so much up-to-standard,

however both styles supplement each other beautifully, allowing for a great range of techniques!!!

Man, this is how i got keen on alternative judo /might read the topic below on list/
by selecting what i liked best of
wrestling and judo
/and discarding what i dislike/,
Posted by: Lokkan-Do

Re: Greco-Roman and Judo - 12/15/04 04:45 PM

Depends on how you look at it.

Wrestling teaches no Gi throws while Judo has many restraining and some submission techniques
Posted by: russman167

Re: Greco-Roman and Judo - 12/19/04 05:30 PM

I wrestled for a while during the early to mid 80's and I did a few Greco tournaments too, they taught me a lot.

However I don't know many people who can continue to wrestle 20 years down the road. I have been training in Judo for 22 years, and I am just getting started.

If you want to do a sport that teaches throws, and you want to go to the Olympics, it's a toss up. However if you are looking for an art that can literally improve you as a person for a lifetime, then the answer has to be Judo.

Besides, though both teach Throws, only Judo has actual finishing moves, meaning that if you were to use it in a fight, unless you goal was to throw and pin, which I don't recommend in most cases, wrestling is not a very good answer.

Good Luck with your training.

May your way be Gentle.

Sincerely,

Russ (The JudoGuy)
The JudoGi Store www.judogis.com