opinions on throws, specific to body type

Posted by: Anonymous

opinions on throws, specific to body type - 11/18/04 04:17 AM

I'm fairly new to judo (started about 2 months ago) and I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on what throws work well for short, stocky body types. I'm 5'7" 160lbs, short legs. The low-bending hip throws seemed logical at first, but I can never get them to work.
Posted by: immrtldragon

Re: opinions on throws, specific to body type - 11/18/04 08:45 AM

I'm 5'7" and about 170 pounds. Yes, low bending hip throws (seionage on your left and right are great). If they are not working, you need to figure out why. Are you bending at the back instead of legs? Is your opponent off balance before you attempt the throw? Try some combination throws to set up what you are intending. One that I learned early and practiced often that I seem to have a lot of success with is: Fake a right handed O Soto Gari and as your opponent attempts to brace himself toward the left, immediately spin into a left handed seionage.

Also, try Tai Otoshi, that's another of my favorites as a short stocky Judoka. Don't neglect sweeps to get your opponent moving.
Posted by: JudoJitsuKa

Re: opinions on throws, specific to body type - 11/18/04 10:28 AM

Hey

I think you should master ouchi gari first...Cuz it goes well with any throw that is suited for your body type.

Then,add right tai otoshi with left seoinage....
(hold right lapel but throw left)Using the right lapel as ur tsukite.

Get what i mean?
Get cracking Playa!

Re: opinions on throws, specific to body type - 11/19/04 10:44 AM

I am also short and sturdy, and when I go for a combined throw legs and arms or legs and body, or lift the opponent from under /if not too heavy/ I am at my
best, trips are effective on the big, slow and not two heavy

Re: opinions on throws, specific to body type - 12/12/04 05:54 PM

i am 5'4" 170lbs (a wrestler) not much fat on me so pretty stocky. Its all in the hips.
i am to short to throw someone that is 6' 2" 150lbs but then you can shoot on them and get a bear hug but........ both tall and short have advantages to throwing but i think in my opinion that a shorter "buffer" man is a better thrower as long as he's not to short, cause his hips are lower. it is alot easy-er to throw if the are pushing into you.

[This message has been edited by Short_Stack (edited 12-12-2004).]

[This message has been edited by Short_Stack (edited 12-12-2004).]