judo organizations

Posted by: Anonymous

judo organizations - 11/03/04 09:49 AM

What are the different judo associations, federations etc...?? I have seen USJA, IJA... what is out there and how are they different? I am looking for a school and trying to figure out which organizations are "legitimate" what pro's/con's may be, stylistic differences, which are "sport", which incorporate ground work, etc.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: judo organizations - 11/04/04 12:03 PM

I'm probably not the most qualified to give you an answer but this thread seems a litle short on replies so I'll tell you my opinion.

Its been almost 10 years since I was affiliated with any official MA organization at all. I was with the USJA during the Phil Porter days if anyone recalls that interesting portion of USJA history. The reason I was a USJA member is becuase that's what organization my club was associated with. I really didn't have a choice other than find another dojo.

For the most part I believe that it's not the dojo's national organization that will determine it's particular stylistic differences, but rather the individual instructors own personal preferences and background. Many USJA clubs practice only sport Judo and still many go with self defense type training. Most lie somewhere in between.

With the USJA you will have to earn promotion points through competition or "service to Judo" before being promoted to the next rank. The USJF and USJI (really the same) have similar policies. As does the US Martial Arts Association which is the organization Phil Porter went to after he "left" the USJA. You will also have to pay a membership fee which will be about $40-50 I think, and promotion fees as well which are about $25 per rank for the first few kyu ranks then it increases to $50 the $100 for shodan. (check this out for yourself becuse I don't remember the figures, and they have probably changed).

My advice to you is to find a dojo that meets your personal needs and teaches pretty much what you want to learn. Don't worry too much about the organization as most are pretty much the same as far as the average student is concerned. If you can find the rare Judo dojo that isn't associated with a national organization I'd personally go with that one, all other things being equal, but that's a personal preference and I must note that your rank with an un-affiliated club would not be officially recognized.

Good Luck in finding the right place to train. Let us know how it goes.