taekwondo or kung fu???

Posted by: Anonymous

taekwondo or kung fu??? - 09/20/04 08:40 AM

Hello Judo fighters. I came here for advice since I can neither go to the kung fu or taekwondo forum for this question because I already know they are both going to answer whatever they themselves master in.I am a martial arts fan and I have been taking Aikido for quite a while and found it to be very effective. However, I want to take up a variety of martial arts from every country such as Korea's taekwondo or hapkido, or China's kung fu or kempo karate, or Thailand's Muay thai, etc. I narowed it down to 2 martial arts (taekwondo & kung fu) that I would like to take next but I'm having trouble deciding which I should take first. Which would you guys prefer and why?

Re: taekwondo or kung fu??? - 09/20/04 11:23 AM

You should probably first sit daown and think about what styles you like. Remember it is the person not the style that makes the fighter effective.
With that being sid you would probably want to take something that will compliment each other. I would say the best combination af arts would be Muay Thai and BJJ or judo.

Muay Thai is excellent for striking, judo is excellent for takedowns and groud work same as BJJ.

Hope this helps.
Posted by: Geoff

Re: taekwondo or kung fu??? - 09/20/04 05:14 PM

I have no idea, sorry, but I would be interested in whatever you decide and why.

Try them both and see what you prefer, Good luck

Geoff

Re: taekwondo or kung fu??? - 09/21/04 11:26 AM

Look at your body mechanics; Tae-Kwon-Do favours people with exceptional flexibility and longer legs. Also, research the type of application each art tends to use and see which one you like best. Finally, see which one of the arts you have access to, even though there maybe ten of each type of school close to your location, there maybe only one with an actually good teacher, in which case, you have no choice about which art to take.

Re: taekwondo or kung fu??? - 09/26/04 01:30 AM

it depends on what you want

Kung Fu: You are going to learn a lot of hand movements.

Tae Kwon Do: You will learn a lot of kicks.

I have taken Kung fu, Judo, & Stick Fighting to compliment my Tae Kwon Do.
so my advise would be to take both, the question is which do you want to learn frist?

Re: taekwondo or kung fu??? - 09/26/04 12:43 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by aikidowoman:
Hello Judo fighters. I came here for advice since I can neither go to the kung fu or taekwondo forum for this question because I already know they are both going to answer whatever they themselves master in.I am a martial arts fan and I have been taking Aikido for quite a while and found it to be very effective. However, I want to take up a variety of martial arts from every country such as Korea's taekwondo or hapkido, or China's kung fu or kempo karate, or Thailand's Muay thai, etc. I narowed it down to 2 martial arts (taekwondo & kung fu) that I would like to take next but I'm having trouble deciding which I should take first. Which would you guys prefer and why?[/QUOTE]

Skip the TKD and KF and go for Judo or BJJ.

If you want to learn striking, try muay Thai or Western boxing, but keep in mind that you're really gonna get knocked around--they're full-contact striking combat sports, after all.

Re: taekwondo or kung fu??? - 11/12/04 08:42 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by tkd:
it depends on what you want

Kung Fu: You are going to learn a lot of hand movements.

Tae Kwon Do: You will learn a lot of kicks.

I have taken Kung fu, Judo, & Stick Fighting to compliment my Tae Kwon Do.
so my advise would be to take both, the question is which do you want to learn frist?
[/QUOTE]

I agree with tkd and I have taken Mexican wrestling, fencing, arnis, boxing and currently working on my taekwondo. you can take both, I'd advise you to learn taekwondo first because it will improve your flexibility for kung fu. don't rush and because taekwondo has high kicks, you're sure you can be prepared for kung fu.
Posted by: xerxes

Re: taekwondo or kung fu??? - 11/22/04 09:36 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dane:
I agree with tkd and I have taken Mexican wrestling, fencing, arnis, boxing and currently working on my taekwondo. you can take both, I'd advise you to learn taekwondo first because it will improve your flexibility for kung fu. don't rush and because taekwondo has high kicks, you're sure you can be prepared for kung fu.[/QUOTE]

What do you mean by Mexican wrestling? Please describe it in comparison to other styles of wrestling.
Posted by: JohnL

Re: taekwondo or kung fu??? - 11/22/04 11:03 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by xerxes:
What do you mean by Mexican wrestling? Please describe it in comparison to other styles of wrestling.

[/QUOTE]

Wrestling, done by Mexican's !!
[IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

JohnL

Re: taekwondo or kung fu??? - 11/25/04 10:53 AM

what type of kung fu is it? depending on the style i'd say take it over tkd, but that's just me.

But what you really need is some boxing =)

Re: taekwondo or kung fu??? - 11/27/04 06:48 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by aikidowoman:
Hello Judo fighters. I came here for advice since I can neither go to the kung fu or taekwondo forum for this question because I already know they are both going to answer whatever they themselves master in.I am a martial arts fan and I have been taking Aikido for quite a while and found it to be very effective. However, I want to take up a variety of martial arts from every country such as Korea's taekwondo or hapkido, or China's kung fu or kempo karate, or Thailand's Muay thai, etc. I narowed it down to 2 martial arts (taekwondo & kung fu) that I would like to take next but I'm having trouble deciding which I should take first. Which would you guys prefer and why?[/QUOTE] My name is darrell, I also had alot of training in aikido(sankyu)3 years afterwards I didn't train for 11 years. anyway I've been back now for a year and trained in TWD BJJ judo and jujuisu. Muay thai or twd seems to fit for me & my grapping it really depends on what is around your area & how it feels to you. Good luck on your quest.

Re: taekwondo or kung fu??? - 12/02/04 01:55 PM

Hey aikidowoman,

Forgive me but I didnt take the time read everyones post.

For you I would recommend both Kung fu and Taekwondo, I am a student/instructor of TKD, HKD and Kung Fu...and by you training in either of these styles would expand your ways to far for you to see know.

Your Aikido keeps the combat mind ready, body manipulation etc... TKD will Breed if the right TKD school your foundation in basics, from stances, blocks, Forms and many many kicks, I would almost say since your Trained in Aikido to find a Shito, Ishun,Ryu Karate School to keep your Japanese style and teachings as your core arts.

My Karate master of Iaido Kabudo, told me once you should have your core arts, TKD or Karate, then also have Aikido or Hapkido wich makes you pretty well rounded.

My Grandmaster also said that a person that has only trained in TKD could never beat a person trained in TKD & HKD. The same would go for Karate would never beat a Karate and Aikidoist either or KArate Hapkido, ot TKD Aikido.

But I find training in Kung Fu puts it all together as well. Find a Kung fu School to complete your circle.

I would Highley recommend a Kuntoa, Silat, wich is a killer arts in them selves.
Kuntao is an old kung fu also known as the Punishing art, It will give you lighting fast hands simular to WingChun.
Silat will you give the perception and theories of taking a persons pyrimid , climbing bodies turning twisting and crushing type theories.

TKD,HKD,AKD, Karate, and almost any Kung Fu are a good mix for person to train in. Creating a well rounded warrior.

Study all you can, boxing, kickboxing and more...

The best well rounded Art i have found, I would have to say would be the Hawrangdo, They have every thing from hapkido, kung fu, boxing, kickboxing, TKD, forms, & basics .

Good luck