Grip Strength

Posted by: Anonymous

Grip Strength - 09/04/04 10:39 AM

My daughter is 15 years old, and has been involved in Judo for the last three years. Although she is making good progress in the judo techniques, she has been told to build up her arm / hand strength (Grip). Are there any weight training techniques available, she can adopt, to build up these strengths.

Thanks
David
Posted by: gojuwarrior1

Re: Grip Strength - 09/04/04 04:15 PM

a basic gripper would be a good start.Then as she gets use to that she can start doing finger pushups and things like that.A tennis ball works well to.

Re: Grip Strength - 09/08/04 08:17 PM

This guy does a tip of the tip of the month. If you hit the more button at the bottom of the example you can see the past months tips. There are alot of them, and if she gets bored of one of them, she can practice a differant one.
http://www.ironmind.com/ironcms/opencms/IronMind/GripTips/griptip.html

Re: Grip Strength - 09/17/04 10:53 PM

i used to tie a weight to a short length of broomstick, maybe a foot or so. roll it up, roll it down, roll it up, roll it down. you can also get grip excersizers with springs or rubberbands. you could also make your own, if you're handy. something like a ring, wood might work, and some hooks in it, rubberbands or springs to the hooks, then metal rings (old keychains would do) to the end of the springs/rubberbands to hook your fingers in. dang. now i have to go try and build one!!
later
tony

Re: Grip Strength - 02/21/05 12:57 AM

she could start doing deadlifts if you guys have access to weights

Re: Grip Strength - 02/22/05 04:02 PM

Something which i have been using is a Powerball (and no i'm not getting paid for advertisement!) and being as i do jujitsu - it's improved my grip no end.

Easy to use and very addictive!
www.play.com

PiB

Re: Grip Strength - 02/26/05 06:15 AM

I have one and its great - try ebay

Re: Grip Strength - 02/26/05 04:38 PM

Hello David. I recommend you seek out information regarding "Eagle Claw."

I imagine there will be reference to it somewhere on this webite.

Re: Grip Strength - 03/11/05 04:24 PM

I first heard about the Powerball in this thread. I checked out their web site, and decided to give it a shot.

I received it three days ago and so far I love it. I have a pretty strong grip already from judo and jujutsu, but I can already see that there is a lot of room for improvement. The thing is fun and addictive (my hand is sore).

So far I've hit 11822 rpm. Thanks for the post PiBster.

--Dallas

Re: Grip Strength - 03/21/05 12:02 AM

She definitally shouldn't be lifting deadweights at 15. Very bad for an undeveloped body. Any that manipulates her bodies natural weight is good, squeesing excercises on a ball of some kind is good.

Re: Grip Strength - 03/25/05 10:34 AM

Based on the info poseted by Pibster and the recomendation from Dallas, I just ordered a powerball for myself. I love gadgets [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG]

On a low tech note, My BJJ instructor recommends hand grips or squeeze balls that can be purchased inexpensively at any retail/sporting goods store.

I don't think you have to get fancy. Anything that is hard to squeeze will do the trick. Having a neat little gadget or gizmo might make it fun a keep you interested in it.

Page

Re: Grip Strength - 03/25/05 10:55 AM

[QUOTE]Having a neat little gadget or gizmo might make it fun a keep you interested in it.[/QUOTE]

That's the rub. I can't put the thing down. My hand has been sore for weeks.

Let us know how you like it.

--Dallas

Re: Grip Strength - 03/27/05 03:36 AM

Agree with not doing free weights at that age. I used to do fingertip pushups, hanging from a pullup bar (for stamina) and carried that darn ball around everywhere I went.

Boring boring boring part of training but critical.

Re: Grip Strength - 03/27/05 07:18 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by DavidW:
My daughter is 15 years old, and has been involved in Judo for the last three years. Although she is making good progress in the judo techniques, she has been told to build up her arm / hand strength (Grip). Are there any weight training techniques available, she can adopt, to build up these strengths.

Thanks
David
[/QUOTE]

Re: Grip Strength - 03/27/05 07:29 AM

David maybe I can help. She should use a stress ball and or a light dumbell for wristcurls to develop grip and forearm strength.IF using the ball only use the middle,ring,pinky fingers and thumb.Those are the fingers that mainly do all the grabbing in judo or hapkido for grabbing the gi,s.If you or your daughter have any more questions feel free to ask.Glad to be of help. BIG AL. [QUOTE]Originally posted by DavidW:

Thanks
David
[/QUOTE]