Judo and aikido

Posted by: Robaikido

Judo and aikido - 08/19/04 05:26 PM

I've seen the way two judoka try to throw each other, they usually grasp then throw, excuse my ignorance, but thats how it looks.

agaisnt an aikidoka, woul this type of attack be recommended, as the basic defences are taught agaisnt this attack. eg kata dori nikkyo agaisnt a grab
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Judo and aikido - 09/04/04 02:59 AM

The big difference between judo and aikido is that judo actually spars full contact while aikido uses cooperative partners and therefore doesn't get a sense of real fighting.

Re: Judo and aikido - 09/18/04 02:08 PM

It may look like aikido uses co-operative partners but in reality it is all part of learning to recieve certain techniques (like you have to in judo) the fact is that if you were to be non co-opertaive or to go against the aikido technique you would probably have broken bones or fall badly.

the way aikido works is with atemi or striking, as it was set out to, have a look at Aiki jujutsu, then you will have more of a compliant partner. as O'sensei said "unconsious body - easy to throw"

it is probably a good thing that they don't 'spar' full contact other wise there could be some nasty inccidents, broken wrists, dis-locations etc

I don't want to be un kind or disrespect any judo people out there,every judo person I have met have been nice people, all martial arts have their merrits. But...Judo is more of a sport, it isn't really 'real' fighting-real fighting is what you see out on a friday night.

judo was introduced to schools as they wanted to make Jujutsu safer for children to practice- aikido and judo come from jujutsu, however i know which one I would rather do for the street.

having said that judo has some excellent ground work.

best wishes.
Posted by: Geoff

Re: Judo and aikido - 09/19/04 08:10 AM

I train Judo, Aikido and Jujitsu, Judo is by far the nearest to actual combat, judo and some boxing or some thai boxing would probably be best for self defense purposes.

keeping out of trouble would be even better still. Don't believe the hype that surrounds arts like jujitsu and aikido they aren't that easy to do when faced with a partner who doesn't want to be locked or restrained.

Re: Judo and aikido - 09/19/04 11:57 AM

No disrespect but how does Judo make it easier?
Posted by: Geoff

Re: Judo and aikido - 09/19/04 02:59 PM

No disrespect taken, Judo doesn't make it easier, when you practice against an active partner you have more realistic expectations and you stick to tried and tested stuff that you know will work in the heat of a scrap. Judo randori gives you the chance to see what works for you, just like sparring in boxing or thaiboxing.

My jujitsu association ran a couple of tournaments mixing throwing, striking and submission locks, including chokes. The Jujitsu only guys were devestated by boxers and judo players many of whom were beginners at jujitsu (dan grades at judo) and they were beating 2nd and 3rd dans using chokes and armlocks. They simply knew what they were good at and what worked for them in a combat situation.

best wishes

Geoff

Re: Judo and aikido - 09/20/04 06:17 AM

Ok, I see what you are saying, thanks for your explanation. I think the key is in what you said-stick to the tried and tested that you know works for you, and in the way that judo trains it provides that way of testing techniques so you do know what tools or arsenal you have in the bag in the heat of the fight.

I think it was hard for me to understand initially, my Aikido training is not pure aikido, it is more Aiki jujutsu which incorperates atemi waza, kyusho jutsu, throwing- locking-chokes plus with my karate etc...

My teacher says "aiki-do is the way to live your life, Aiki jujutsu is for fighting"

Thanks again geoff-best wishes
Charlie.