Most valuable???

Posted by: Telepath

Most valuable??? - 07/14/04 11:38 AM

ok..i don't take judo but i have studied it with a judo master that i actually meet at my uncles birthday.. well i learned about 12 throws over a certain persiod of time and was satisfied with that...

ok now i would like to know which of the throws you try to always set up, which are most reliable for you.. what are your backups,,, what to you try to aviod using because you basically suck at them

i'll start.. i usually always try to set up tai otoshi or yama arashi... if they don't work then iusually go for uchi mata or ippon seoinage.....

lol the ones i basically suck at and couldent o if my life depended on it are yoko otoshi and uki waza...

also how do you set up your primary throw, and when it doesnt work do you keep trying it or suddenly switch to another throw?
Posted by: the504mikey

Re: Most valuable??? - 07/14/04 01:00 PM

Well, in general, if we're talking self defense here, I tend to avoid throws which present my back to my attacker, so that would rule out most shoulder throws and things like that. I am too concerned that I might be dragged backwards into a choke if something stops the throw.

I tend to rely more on sweeps and trips as the opportunity presents itself-- osoto gari, ouchi gari. At the dojo I train in we do a yama arashi variant that looks like osoto gari which I have come to trust. It basically is osoto gari, but your off hand moves through the attacker's shoulder, so you can work the throw from the outside. The fall is a rough one to take, and you could at your option cause the attacker to land on his head or separate his shoulder.

You should work on the sutemi waza (uki waza, et al) until you get more comfortable with them. Don't think of them so much as throws you do to someone first off, but rather as counter throws you can execute if someone is taking you down. That may make it easier to pull them off, assuming you have someone you can practice with who can take the falls without getting hurt.

[IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

[This message has been edited by the504mikey (edited 07-14-2004).]

Re: Most valuable??? - 07/14/04 01:37 PM

oh that makes alot of sense with the uki waza.... i'll try that next time i have someone to train with

Re: Most valuable??? - 07/19/04 09:34 PM

anyone else