Why does Judo require more strength?

Posted by: Lokkan-Do

Why does Judo require more strength? - 06/15/04 10:38 PM

From what I can see the ground fighting in Judo is simular to other grappling MAs. Except it doesn't do much no GI sparring.

So why does Judo require more strength?
Posted by: the504mikey

Re: Why does Judo require more strength? - 06/16/04 10:46 AM

Huh?

Stating that "judo requires more strength" doesn't make sense to me. More strength than what?

Judo will teach you to make the most of whatever strength you have, because you will learn to use your body in efficient ways and perhaps more importantly to use your strenght against your opponent's anatomical weaknesses.

Being stronger will give you more to bring to the table no matter what art you practice, but I don't find judo to be more strength dependent than any other combat art or sport.

Does this help?

[IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]
Posted by: Christiancadet

Re: Why does Judo require more strength? - 06/16/04 10:57 AM

Kano?

Re: Why does Judo require more strength? - 06/16/04 02:52 PM

Other grappling arts.

Or "Too much strength"

v.s. BJJ e.g.

Now, I am not trying to make a statement. I know nothing about Judo or the grappling arts. Though I did some wrestling. I've heard some people on this forum and elsewhere say Judo is for larger opponents or it requires alot of strength etc.

My question to those people that say this is...why?

[This message has been edited by Lokkan-Do (edited 06-16-2004).]
Posted by: kempo_jujitsu

Re: Why does Judo require more strength? - 06/16/04 05:57 PM

judo is for FIGHTING bigger opponents (generally speaking) as is jujitsu its older brother/father whatever you want to call it...not necessarily only for larger people to use on the lil guys.
i think if you are doing good judo/jujitsu little strenght should be required...as for why it seems that judo requires more strength...well because even in class your opponent is actually resisting your techniques...while trying to apply his own. in jujitsu alot of times you cant do that because there would be alot of broken bones...etc etc...you get the point...hope this helped
Posted by: the504mikey

Re: Why does Judo require more strength? - 06/16/04 05:58 PM

[QUOTE]
I've heard some people on this forum and elsewhere say Judo is for larger opponents or it requires alot of strength etc.

My question to those people that say this is...why?
[/QUOTE]

That should be your second question to them-- the first should be, "How long have you trained in judo?" The essence of judo is minimum effort, maximum result. Judo in theory is all about using your opponent's strength against him by yielding whenever he moves against you. His strenghth doesn't matter, because if he moves left you go left with him.

Judo in practice often deteriorates to a strength on strength wrestling match where people struggle against each other. That said, the people who "stick to the plan" and stay relaxed and don't resist the other person's strength usually mop the floor with the people who don't. You can really tell the ones who just try to power their way through things-- they wear out FAST. I read an interesting quote the other day: "You are one half of any resistance you encounter."

Don't get me wrong, like I said above being stronger (functional strength, not gym build) is always helpful... but judo will definitely teach you to make the most of whatever strength you have. Find an experienced judoka and work with him or her for a while-- a really good person can throw you so easily you will think you have become weightless.

[IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

[This message has been edited by the504mikey (edited 06-16-2004).]

Re: Why does Judo require more strength? - 06/17/04 12:44 PM

Thanx for the info and clarification guys.

Warm regards, Lok
Posted by: russman167

Re: Why does Judo require more strength? - 07/04/04 12:19 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Lokkan-Do:
From what I can see the ground fighting in Judo is simular to other grappling MAs. Except it doesn't do much no GI sparring.

So why does Judo require more strength?
[/QUOTE]

Assuming that you are talking about BJJ, the ground fighting is similar, but the standing work of Judo is far more extensive.

Now that said strength is certainly one possible advantage assuming that all other things are equal.

Competition training assumes that you will face a person of a similar skill level to your own. As a result an advantage such as being stronger is a big deal.

Now if your focus is purely Self-Defense, or better yet basic personal training, then don't worry about the strength issue. As with most martial arts applying techniques against the untrained is much easier since they don't know how to block.

As for me I fought in the Open division for a lot of years, and though I generally weighed just under 210 lbs, and often fought guys well over 250 lbs, I won far more matches than I lost. In short strength is helpful, but not what truly important.

I hope this helps. Good Luck.

-Russ (The Judo Guy)
The JudoGi Store www.judogis.com
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Why does Judo require more strength? - 07/06/04 02:58 PM

I have found that proper technique works no matter the weight and size. The504mikey said it "minimum strength, maximum result." There are always some alterations that must be made to perform techniques on different sized opponents, like timing and distance and such, but a throw is a throw. Momentum and leverage do not change much no matter how bug you are. I am 5-9, 145. Training partners 6-2, 190; 6-1 230; 6-3 220... Just make sure you do it right, cause they hit hard! It takes many years to truly understand judo principle.