would judo or jujitsu br right for me

Posted by: Anonymous

would judo or jujitsu br right for me - 06/01/04 08:36 AM

it came to me as i was looking in the phone book for judo centers around me and i came across jujitsu. i know there both grappling,throws,chokes ect. ect. but i really do not know whitch would be right for me...

im about 220 pounds 5 feet 10 inches medium to large build and alot stronger in my legs then my arms

Re: would judo or jujitsu br right for me - 06/01/04 08:37 AM

kinda slow to [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]
Posted by: Lokkan-Do

Re: would judo or jujitsu br right for me - 06/01/04 10:17 AM

I was just about to ask the same question.

I'm planning for when I'm done college...if time and location permitts...I wanna start training again.

I understand that Judo is good for throws, while Ju Jitsu is good for submissions.

I can't take both of them because of time constraints, so I'll have to pick one.

I will also be taking wrestling full-time.

Warm regards, Lok

[This message has been edited by Lokkan-Do (edited 06-01-2004).]
Posted by: the504mikey

Re: would judo or jujitsu br right for me - 06/01/04 11:05 AM

Well, we're really talking about three things here:

1. Judo

A sport version of jujitsu developed by Kano that allows you to "fight" the people in your class full out to develop your skills. Judo includes throwing, strangles, arm bars, and ground work.

2. Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (sometimes spelled ju jitsu)

These guys took the ground fighting portion of judo and developed it into an art all by itself. You will still do some throwing, but where judo is typically 50% throwing and 50% mat work (ground fighting) Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is more like 80% mat work. Depending on where you train, they may do more striking than the judo guys, and will have a larger catalog of submission techniques (arm bars, chokes, leg locks) at the earlier levels of training.

3. Ju Jitsu

Ju Jitsu is a more generic term, and includes a lot of different things. Generally it will concentrate on throwing, striking, joint locking, strangles, and some ground fighting. The difference is in how it is usually trained. Since there is a lot of striking involved, and joint locks end up breaking the joint if applied too strongly, two partners will get together and practice in a cooperative way. This does not build the same skills that fighting a resisting opponent does (ala judo and BJJ), but you practice techniques that are normally not allowed in the other arts.

As to what you should train, I would say visit all the schools in your area and watch a class or two, then train in whatever you like most.

Hope this helps...

[IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]
Posted by: Jui-Jitsu-Kid

Re: would judo or jujitsu br right for me - 06/14/04 06:49 AM

If i am small would i be any good at jui-jitsu?? does height matter?

Thankz

J~J~Kid~

Re: would judo or jujitsu br right for me - 06/23/04 01:53 AM

i have friends who introduced me to brazilian ju-jitsu and i am judo / jkd / combat aikido practioner.

i have to be honest that i use these in frat fights back in college. i get into fights in some of Manila's notorious areas as well.

i have used what i found useful in those arts during the fights. but nothing is as devesating as a judo throw! (i performed an o-soto gari to guy who fell on the stairs - good thing he's still alive or i'd be in jail!)

BJJ say that they're system is best because 90% of fights end up on the ground. and that's when BJJ is good. but definitely, ALL fights start standing up! that's where judo's numerous throws can be very useful!

i say start with judo first, and if you have time (and money) go for combat aikido for standing defense and BJJ for ground defense / offense!

bye!

Re: would judo or jujitsu br right for me - 06/23/04 01:55 AM

theslowone,

you sure you're still medium built?! [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

try judo first! you'll appreciate it more than most of the time you're on the back!
Posted by: VJ

Re: would judo or jujitsu br right for me - 06/23/04 10:59 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by the504mikey:
Well, we're really talking about three things here:

1. Judo

A sport version of jujitsu developed by Kano that allows you to "fight" the people in your class full out to develop your skills. Judo includes throwing, strangles, arm bars, and ground work.
[/QUOTE]

Let's get the record straight that judo is also a martial art derived from various forms of ju-jitsu. I agree with the Filipinofighter's input though. All fights start standing up and a good throw can put you in at an advantage quickly. Judo has some groundwork also which will be a good basis if you decide to pursue ju-jitsu later.
Posted by: kiwi

Re: would judo or jujitsu br right for me - 06/27/04 05:40 AM

Even if 90% of fight go to the ground, if your a judo person and he's a bjj person he is not going to take you down (unless he pulls guard). If your a judo person and he's untrained you ain't going down. So if the fight does go to the gorund its on your terms.

Your also built like a judo practitoner (stocky, 5 ft 10, 100 kilos is not average build).

Re: would judo or jujitsu br right for me - 09/04/04 03:40 AM

One important note; many schools teach BOTH judo and Japanese jujitsu at the same place. (on diff nights) So one place may cover both for you!