Judo in MMA

Posted by: Anonymous

Judo in MMA - 05/31/04 10:57 AM

Yes, judo is a sport and also a martial art. But who says that a sport cannot be effective in a fight. I train in judo and find its throwing and ground techniques extremly helpful in MMA events. Although judo is very useful, that doesn't take any credit away from striking abilities. You cant be a MMA fighter without cross training, so in my argument, both striking and grappling should be used accordingly and at the appropriate times.
Fightin in a MMA compitition soon, should I wear gi or trunks?

Donald

PS
I'll record my fights guys, hope you'll be rooting for me [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG]
Posted by: JKogas

Re: Judo in MMA - 05/31/04 11:08 AM

Which do you spend the majority of your time in, a gi or?

I really wouldn't fight in a gi, but hey, that's my game. Try both in training and have your partner(s) use it against you. See if that plays well into your game.

Personally I think judo is one of those "core" arts that should be trained for standing grappling. Good luck with your training and fights.

-John

Re: Judo in MMA - 05/31/04 11:10 AM

Hey John, your in almost every discussion. What MA's do you do?

Re: Judo in MMA - 05/31/04 11:26 AM

Well, most of the time I dont fight in a gi, unless I'm at judo classes and you have to as part of the custom.
But if I'm training with freinds or my brother, ussually I dont use a gi. But a gi can really be an advantage aswell, sleeve chokes and grabbing it during a lock. eg jujikatami ( armbar )
Posted by: JKogas

Re: Judo in MMA - 05/31/04 12:47 PM

I've been a long time JKD guy. It's pretty much practiced MMA-style. That would mean for us specifically; boxing/Thai boxing, wrestling and Brazilian jiu-jitsu.

-John
Posted by: kiwi

Re: Judo in MMA - 06/01/04 06:12 PM

I would wear Gi pnats but no Gi top. The will give you better grip when they are in your guard, when you are trying to armbar/triangle them or when you are trying to leg lock them. However they only get extra grip when trying to leg lock you, you also cannot be sleeve choked.
Posted by: JudoJitsuKa

Re: Judo in MMA - 06/14/04 03:59 AM

Well donald all the best im rooting for you.Remember to keep those hands up!

Cheers
JudoJitsuKa