Old Guy and judo

Posted by: Anonymous

Old Guy and judo - 05/23/04 03:08 PM

Just turned 50 yrs. old. Have done some martial arts in the past (15-20 yrs. ago: kung fu; tai chi; aikido). My son is doing judo, and its caught my interest. What do you think? Is it too late for me to give it a try? No goal other than to learn. My plan is to work out for the next few months in order to get in better physical condition before I begin. I've been stretching regularly for the past few years, and intend to add aerobic (goal is to do a brisk 2-3 miles run), plus some strength training. Maybe do some aikido course in order to work on ukemi. The judo sensei is very good, and sensible, and would not push it too hard. All advice welcome.

Re: Old Guy and judo - 05/24/04 07:32 AM

Hey dude You're never too old to learn. I'm 51 and also getting back into MA's after a long streach of not doing any. 20years ago it was sotokan later in '87 aikidofor 3years. last winter I went to a judo dojo and started working out there. It was a blast. I loved every bit of it.The last 5 months I was in ardmore,okla. There I found a MA school that taught TWD &JJ. So far I haven't Found any place that didn't welcomed me. donn't worry about your age,besides judo will get you in shape. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]
Posted by: VJ

Re: Old Guy and judo - 05/24/04 09:42 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by franciscus:
Just turned 50 yrs. old. Have done some martial arts in the past (15-20 yrs. ago: kung fu; tai chi; aikido). My son is doing judo, and its caught my interest. What do you think? Is it too late for me to give it a try? No goal other than to learn. My plan is to work out for the next few months in order to get in better physical condition before I begin. I've been stretching regularly for the past few years, and intend to add aerobic (goal is to do a brisk 2-3 miles run), plus some strength training. Maybe do some aikido course in order to work on ukemi. The judo sensei is very good, and sensible, and would not push it too hard. All advice welcome.[/QUOTE]

Go for it. I am 41 and trying to find a good teacher/instructor that makes me feel comfortable enough to get back into it. As long as the teacher is a good one and you both can reach an agreement that allows you to obtain your goal then that is all that matters.
Posted by: Lokkan-Do

Re: Old Guy and judo - 05/27/04 03:02 PM

I read a story, in Inside Karate, about a 51 year old lawyer who took up kickboxing and became good.

Re: Old Guy and judo - 05/30/04 01:37 PM

Unless physically or mentally challenged, nothing really prevents one from doing whatever it is s/he wants to do...

[This message has been edited by Praefecto (edited 05-30-2004).]

Re: Old Guy and judo - 05/30/04 07:55 PM

Thank you all for your encouragement. I've decided to just do it, so I'm beginning judo class next week.

Re: Old Guy and judo - 06/28/04 03:38 AM

franciscus,

my coach was 76 YO when i was training back in college. no one that time can beat him! you could not see him exert too much effort in throwing us around!

hope this serves as an encouragement!
Posted by: VJ

Re: Old Guy and judo - 06/28/04 09:42 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Filipino Fighter:
franciscus,

my coach was 76 YO when i was training back in college. no one that time can beat him! you could not see him exert too much effort in throwing us around!

hope this serves as an encouragement!
[/QUOTE]

76 years old!!?? Wow, now that is impressive because of the heavy exertion caused by judo. A lot of the folks that I trained with were older than me but ended up having to quit due to soreness from practice.

Re: Old Guy and judo - 06/28/04 09:23 PM

his throws were simple and not like the ones used by younger, aggressive players.

seems that as you age, you are forced to be smarter as you cannot rely on strength anymore.

although i haven't heard of that coach since i graduated.
Posted by: russman167

Re: Old Guy and judo - 07/04/04 01:09 AM

It looks like you have already made your decision so I have nothing to add there.

I just wanted to say good luck, and ask you to keep us informed of your process.

Good Luck.

Sincerely,

-Russ (The Judo Guy)
The JudoGi Store www.judogis.com

May your way be gentle.