question for judoka

Posted by: xerxes

question for judoka - 01/08/04 12:47 PM

I have not studied judo but I've done a little reading about it. My reading indicates that the total judo curriculum includes not only the part that is a sport but also atemi-waza and forms(of the two person variety). Do judo clubs still practise the latter two or have they given that up and only do the sport aspect? What is it like at your club? If you practise atemi-waza, how often? How often do you do forms?
Posted by: judodoc

Re: question for judoka - 01/08/04 02:32 PM

Forms are still done with a large variation in the amount of interest and time each club devotes to them. Some are quite active and you see it more commonly now as a competition at tournaments.
As far as I know no one does atemi waza as it was taught in the Kodokan curriculum except rarely some very advanced belts learn it as a kata requirement. Most of it is quite antiquated.
Posted by: immrtldragon

Re: question for judoka - 01/08/04 03:24 PM

Yea, atemi waza is extremely rare to non-existant in almost any club. Some require the kata at higher levels, but you can pretty much count on it that if you go to a Judo club to watch a class, you will not see any kata practice. Mostly uchi komi, randori, tashi-waza, and ne-waza make up your average Judo class (with warmups and instructions of course). I would like to learn the kata and atemi waza eventually just so I know what they involve.
Posted by: Tanigawa Sensei

Re: question for judoka - 01/11/04 04:37 PM

Alot of the Sensei's that I work with were trained by Abbe Sensei and Otani Sensei, as such I study all the old traditional Kata's and am now starting to study Atemi Waza. Atemi-Waza however is reserved for Dan Grades only and are not taught to Kyu Grades. What we have lost is Katsu and Shiatsu (Japanese First Aid). I also notice that the range of techniques now being taught is diminishing. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/cool.gif[/IMG]
Posted by: Karma

Re: question for judoka - 03/17/04 04:31 AM

Does anyone know the specifics of Kodakan Judo?

I ask because for all the grappling and such I do at my Jujitsu class is taken from that style of Judo
Posted by: immrtldragon

Re: question for judoka - 03/17/04 08:32 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Karma:

Does anyone know the specifics of Kodakan Judo?

I ask because for all the grappling and such I do at my Jujitsu class is taken from that style of Judo
[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure what you are looking for exactly, but go here: www.judoinfo.com
You will find anything you would ever want to know about Kodokan Judo. The site is very easy to navigate and has tons of pics/videos/articles/history info/etc.
Posted by: Karma

Re: question for judoka - 03/21/04 04:42 PM

Much obliged ImmortalDragon, thanks for the site