Yoshida in Pride

Posted by: immrtldragon

Yoshida in Pride - 08/27/03 11:55 AM

Anyone see Hidehiko Yoshida in the last Pride event?...that was some good Judo. Perhaps he should work a little on keeping his hands up though...he ate a few hard shots. He is doing well considering he trains just Judo and fights with a full Gi, as opposed to spandex shorts. The tournament he is fighting in will be in the next level in November w/ just one winner...Hidehiko Yoshida, Rampage Jackson, Wanderlei Silva, and Chuck Liddel from UFC. Any picks for a winner from those who know of the people fighting? Any thoughts on Yoshida's ability to use Judo effectively against mixed martial artists?

Re: Yoshida in Pride - 08/27/03 11:58 AM

Oh yea...for anyone who doesn't know of Yoshida, he is a Judoka who has one Olympic gold and now fights in Pride. His first fight was a controversial win over Royce Gracie: Second fight was an arm-bar to Don Frye: Third fight was a victory, but I don't recall the other fighter: Fourth victory in the last Pride. More info on Yoshida or any other fighter I mentioned @ PrideFC.com.
Posted by: MorpheusRS

Re: Yoshida in Pride - 08/29/03 10:54 AM

i think the dude ur talking bout has a great chance against mma, the enormous conditioning and great tecnique allows him to take down the oponent and finnish it down on the ground.
i think he'l have some trouble with silva tho.. vale tudo champion and a very experienced mm artist, very brutal and agressive too.. lets live and see. my money is on silva. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG] (sorry)

Re: Yoshida in Pride - 08/29/03 12:10 PM

Morpheus, I agree with you...Silva is one good fighter. Yoshida is doing great though, if he could just learn to keep those hands up he would have a better chance. If he is the one going against Silva I feel he will be overwhelmed by Silva's striking ability. I do feel that Yoshida stands a chance though, although the odds are in Silva's favor. In summary, my hope to win is Yoshida but my honest opinion also says Silva will take it.
Posted by: kiwi

Re: Yoshida in Pride - 09/01/03 05:22 AM

Yea... hes too good

and now alot of people think his matches were works.

Ive never seen him fight so I'm not gonna pass judgement. Just informing you what the majority of the MMA community thinks.

Remmeber this is about Yoshida not Judo. So don't take this as offensive towards your art.

Taekwon

Re: Yoshida in Pride - 09/01/03 01:25 PM

Kiwi, no offense taken at all. I completeley agree this is about Yoshida much more than Judo, I just like to watch him because it's awesome to see a Judoka fight in the MMA world. I did mention that his win over Gracie was controversial, and I watched that fight...I did not see Gracie tapout. His other fights I have seen however seemed as legit as possible. Unfortunately, there are now talks that he may not be fighting in the next installment of that total elimination tournament b/c he jacked up his knee pretty bad during his last fight. His doctors/trainers are advising him not to fight b/c the injury should take about 2 months to heal: leaving only 1 month to train. Either way, it should make for some good fights in November.
Posted by: charles mckey

Re: Yoshida in Pride - 09/04/03 09:35 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by immrtldragon:
I did mention that his win over Gracie was controversial, and I watched that fight...I did not see Gracie tapout.[/QUOTE]

As I understand it, Yoshida thought that Gracie was unconcious, and called the ref over to stop the fight - apparently the ref then stopped it without checking Gracie's condition properly (that's the version I heard, anyway). Most of the people I've seen discussing it think Yoshida would have won, but were disappointed that the fight was stopped before they'd have known for sure.

Re: Yoshida in Pride - 09/04/03 11:13 AM

Charles, I agree Yoshida Probably would have won...he had Gracie in awesome position, close to impossible to escape...but if anyone could have escaped it would have probably been Gracie. My opinion is also that Yoshida was just about to win, had they not stopped it yet we would know for sure...now there is just that thought. I'd like to see a rematch. Obviously I like Yoshida...probably only second to Sakuraba...but I would have liked a clear, non-disputable victory.

Re: Yoshida in Pride - 09/04/03 11:48 AM

Actually, anyone interested in seeing the fight between Yoshida and Gracie and forming their own opinions can get the fight here: http://www.judoinfo.com/video3.htm
towards the bottom of the page.

Re: Yoshida in Pride - 09/04/03 11:50 AM

Actually, anyone interested in seeing the fight between Yoshida and Gracie and forming their own opinions can get the fight here: http://www.judoinfo.com/video3.htm
towards the bottom of the page.

I was having a little problem with my back button, sorry if this posts twice.
Posted by: charles mckey

Re: Yoshida in Pride - 09/05/03 09:56 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by immrtldragon:
Charles, I agree Yoshida Probably would have won...he had Gracie in awesome position, close to impossible to escape...but if anyone could have escaped it would have probably been Gracie. [/QUOTE]

Yeah, although most of the guys saying Gracie never looked to be in command of the fight are BJJ'ers! Here's the [URL=http://"http://snurl.com/294v"]discussion[/URL] from rec.martial-arts, if anyones interested - snip out the more hysterical posts, and people pursuing old arguments, and there's some interesting comment in there.

Thanks for posting the link, btw - lots of good stuff on the rest of that site too, especially for the person considering adding a session or two of judo to their MA training... [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

[This message has been edited by charles mckey (edited 09-05-2003).]

[This message has been edited by charles mckey (edited 09-05-2003).]

Re: Yoshida in Pride - 09/05/03 12:06 PM

No problem...I love that site...lots of useful info. Also, thanks for your link...I will check that out.
Posted by: VJ

Re: Yoshida in Pride - 03/24/04 10:26 AM

Anyone see the rematch of Yoshida versus Gracie? I thought I was watching a foot race as much as Yoshida ran. Why didn't he take Gracie to the ground and give him some schooling on grappling? Except for the shot to the groin the fight was sadly disappointing. All the reviews slammed Yoshida wondering where the fighter who beat Gracie went.

Re: Yoshida in Pride - 03/24/04 12:15 PM

Gracie dominated...what else can be said? There was talk that Yoshida was ill and didn't prepare for the fight...but anything said is an excuse. I like Yoshida a lot...I've seen his Judo videos, I've seen him do well in Pride...that night, he lost. He has publicly expressed interest to fight Royce a third time and settle it under normal Pride rules, but Royce has not expressed any interest. The fight would give some closure, but there is a chance it will never happen. Royce usually wants special rules and after coming off this fight looking like the winner, he probably doesn't want to risk a loss to Yoshida. Only time will tell what happens. Also, you asked why Yoshida didn't take him to the ground and give him some schooling on grappling...probably because it is not that easy considering Royce Gracie has trained his entire life in grappling. Also, taking off the gi top had to have some effect on Yoshida's ability to control a BJJ blackbelt. I haven't really heard any reviewers slam Yoshida...he has olympic gold in Judo and didn't start any MMA training or competition until he was about 34 years old...then went the distance with the most dominant middleweight Pride has ever seen (Wanderlei Silva). I'm still impressed.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Yoshida in Pride - 05/31/04 08:42 AM

Yoshida is a great fighter even in MMA events. He bet K-1 legend Massaki Sataki and Don Frye. I knew Silva would beat him, but I was surprised it was by a decision.
Does anyone know how to get the Silva VS Yoshida fight, its not on Kazaa???
please tell me, Iv'e heard its a great fight

How do you think Yoshida would handle Sakuraba? Even though Sakuraba is past his prime, he still bet Randleman, and he bet cro cop [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG]. I would say it would be a good fight, possibly a draw or Kazushi Sakuraba by decision

Re: Yoshida in Pride - 06/01/04 10:26 AM

Actually Donald, Sak lost to CroCop. He sustained an injury (I believe a fractured cheekbone) and couldn't continue. Sak is my favorite fighter though. I think Sak would take Yoshida, but I don't think they'll ever fight. Sak announced that he will be retiring soon but first wants some revenge matches. So, likely, you will only see Sak fighting people he has previously fought and lost to (though hopefully not Silva). Apparently Sak has been training harder and has a new motivation...let's hope so. Yoshida is fighting June 20th, not sure of his opponent though. Sak is also fighting that day. I hope Yoshida can do well coming off his loss...i mean 'draw' to Royce. That is one fight I wish would have went the other way. I can't stand Royce and his constant 'rule making.'