Arm Wrapping?

Posted by: Scholar

Arm Wrapping? - 04/03/03 10:17 AM

Does Judo use "Snake" arm wrapping as setup to throws, locks, and holds? What about continuous circular hand movement as lead in in randori?
Posted by: Cato

Re: Arm Wrapping? - 04/04/03 02:36 AM

Sorry, I don't get what you mean. What do you consider "snake arm wrapping" to be?
Posted by: Scholar

Re: Arm Wrapping? - 04/10/03 10:45 PM

The arm wrapping appears to be a lead in method for "Chin Na" where your arms wraps around fom the inside or the outside like a snake circling around a branch. (such as Tai Chi and Shaolin). My goal, as a practical matter, is just to focus on leading into techniques, to use my prior Judo training because the Chin Na techniques are so numerous, I don't want to concentrate on them for now.When I did Randori It was the basic grabbing the lapel and sleeve except for the one "L" shape bent arm hook for Ogoshi/hip throw. Does advanced Judo include much in the way of "lead in" techniques in making it practical for the street when the "gentle way" is appropriate?
Posted by: Cato

Re: Arm Wrapping? - 04/17/03 06:25 AM

If it does I've never come across it. Almost all of my judo training has been done by grabbing the gi. I know "grapevining" of legs is not allowed in judo, so I assume "snake arm wrapping" is similarly discouraged.

Budo