Judo Training at Home

Posted by: JudoJohn

Judo Training at Home - 03/08/03 09:49 AM

Hi,
I just started out in judo. My class only meets twice per week and I would like to do some training at home. The only problem is my wife doesn't like to get her arms ripped out of their sockets. Does anyone have any tips or equipment that they could recommend for practicing at home? I would like something that over resistance to my attempts at kuzushi.

Thanks.
Posted by: UKfightfreak

Re: Judo Training at Home - 03/14/03 02:35 AM

I'm sure I replied with a post to this,

Oh well

I will do a short one.

The only thing I can think of to practice judo at home is wrapping your belt around something that won't move (a rail, radiator) preferably at a similar height to your chest, then using each end of the belt as though it was the lapel of your opponents jacket.

Now try and throw, you won't be able to but it will enhance your foot work and positioning.

Maybe worth a try.
Posted by: Cato

Re: Judo Training at Home - 03/14/03 02:42 AM

I'm sure you replied too, and there was also an excellent one from taebot as well, but they seem to have disappeared. Is Big Brother messing with the thread, and if so why?
Posted by: WIJudoka

Re: Judo Training at Home - 03/16/03 08:25 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JudoJohn:
Hi,
I just started out in judo. My class only meets twice per week and I would like to do some training at home. The only problem is my wife doesn't like to get her arms ripped out of their sockets. Does anyone have any tips or equipment that they could recommend for practicing at home? I would like something that over resistance to my attempts at kuzushi.

Thanks.
[/QUOTE]

I have been playing for 2 years, I asked the same of my Sensi. He gave me the following.
De Ashi Hari - put a (small)ball on the floor. Practice with foot in correct position sweeping the ball (with out it leaving the surface of the foot)

O Goshi - Put a set of shoes in front (font of shoes facing you) of you. Practice turning and bending your legs directly in front of the shoes. Start out slow (you will hear a lot of that) then pick up speed as you get into the right position. As you practice imagine fitting to Uke's body. This will not help you with the Kazushi (Off balance / pull) but I found that my body position and fit in have improved greatly.

Morote Seoi Nage - Find a spot along a wall. Facing the wall about 1 step away. Practice stepping in and turning so that your back for the most part touching (make sure that your hands are in the correct position) then bend your legs (keeping your back to the wall, not leaning on it) until your crouching, then while straightening your legs, pull / turn in the direction of your throw.

O Soto Gari - As a previous poster indicated tying your Obi (belt) to a post is a good idea. In this case make it about chest high. Grab the ends (or so your hands will end in a position similar to how you have been instructed by your Sensi) Start about 1 step away. Pull down with your initiating leg hand while you are stepping in with that leg. (Head should be down) Try to have your chest and hips contact the pole at the same time.

The obi tied to a pole is ++ I use the support pole in my basement. You can use this for all of the above drills with the exception of the De Ashi drill.

I probably should have put this first but I also bought a mat for Ukemi (falling drills) Practice all your falls side, back front and rolling falls. Getting this right is above all else!

I also should have pointed out that you should have proper instruction of the basics of the techniques. If you practice the technique wrong it will take you ten times the repetitions to unlearn and relearn the technique right.
I would also suggest that you discuss this with your Sensi so that he/she can advise you on what to watch out for in this type of practice.

Humbly yours
WIJudoka
Posted by: Geoff

Re: Judo Training at Home - 04/05/03 03:13 PM

Don't mean to state the obvious but find a training partner who also wants extra practice and meet up for an hour or so for uchikomi and nagekomi practice at home. Failing that find another club which practices on a night you are free and travel for your randori sessions, being a nomad player is a great way to gain experience of dealing with many diferent body types. Alternatively try wrestling, Sombo or Brazillian Jujitsu clubs. If these things are not possible a good circuit class will improve your cardio-vascular performance and joining a reputable Gym with a personal programme tailored to your sporting needs would be agreat way to supliment your mat work. Forget practicing breakfalls, gymnastics or trampolining would be a much better method of developing the necessary spacial awareness.

GOOD LUCK
Geoff
Posted by: Remandman

Re: Judo Training at Home - 08/20/03 10:38 PM

Conditioning...Do as many of these as you can twice a week in addition to your dojo time...They will help condition you for this demanding art.

Pushups,
Squats,
Burpies,
Situps,
Jumping Jacks,
Pullups,
Bridging,
Handstand pushups,

Lots of stretching.
Posted by: xerxes

Re: Judo Training at Home - 08/21/03 12:05 PM

Hi,

Thanks.
[/QUOTE]

Convince your wife to take up judo. Then the two of you can pull each other's arms out of each other's sockets to your heart's content. What effect this will have on your marriage, I can't say.
Posted by: Ed Glasheen

Re: Judo Training at Home - 08/24/03 11:12 AM

Swain sports int. makes a great home mat for about $200. Ed
Posted by: Judokid

Re: Judo Training at Home - 09/09/03 05:36 PM

what an awesome topic, JudoJohn!!!! I started one myself on this topic, but i didn't see yours, i was so tired!!!!!!!!
Posted by: Judokid

Re: Judo Training at Home - 09/14/03 02:59 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Remandman:
Conditioning...Do as many of these as you can twice a week in addition to your dojo time...They will help condition you for this demanding art.

Pushups,
Squats,
Burpies,
Situps,
Jumping Jacks,
Pullups,
Bridging,
Handstand pushups,

Lots of stretching.
[/QUOTE]

What's a burpie, exactly????????
Posted by: Geoff

Re: Judo Training at Home - 09/19/03 05:37 PM

A burpie is a squatthrust but standing up at the end of each movement
Posted by: immrtldragon

Re: Judo Training at Home - 12/03/03 04:27 PM

The other day I went to my club and they showed me something I haven't seen/done previously. They had thera-cords (the strong rubber bands used for rehab). The band was looped around the door handle so that there were two pieces hanging. You take a piece in each hand with either an overhand or underhand grip, or one each. From there you can practice throws such as tai otoshi, seionage, etc. If you exaggerate the arm movements of the throws and keep the bands stretched, you will get a good workout as well. The bands come in different strengths, we had one I couldn't even do for a minute. I put eye bolts in the studs of my home gym to loop the cords through. It is great practice for the pulling motion involved in a lot of throws and you can still practice the footwork of the throw. Obviously it is no substitute for a partner, but it is good practice when you don't have someone to train with.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Judo Training at Home - 05/07/04 03:50 AM

get some ankle weights and wrist weights strap them to your arms and legs and stand there maybe infront of a mirror and practice turning in and out and then turn in faster and faster. but try and imagine the player that you are turning in on
Hi,

Thanks.
[/QUOTE]