the best throw?

Posted by: maul_565

the best throw? - 01/15/02 07:42 AM

what is the best throw to defend yourself from any attack? the one throw that just stuns the atacker and makes him to think twice before attacking again? personally for me its o soto gari with a higher leg reap.
Posted by: Tibbar

Re: the best throw? - 02/05/02 01:38 PM

I would prefer two throws for a street/school attacker (these examples are for throwing right-sided):

(1) Osoto-gari. For example, if someone swings a right at your head, you can block with your left, hit him on the nose with the palm of your right hand, and then reap with osoto (you might have to grab onto his right arm using your left blocking arm). Alternatively, you can grasp his throat with your right hand for kuzushi.

(2) Harai-goshi. Use a variation that is closer to koshi-guruma (a half-headlock throw with a reap). You can get a grip by slapping at his face a little and advancing forward with your body turned slightly to the left. If throwing right, try to clamp his right wrist under your left armpit and grasp his elbow with your left hand--use for kuzushi. Shoot your right arm against/around his head and fit in...and wham!
Posted by: gus

Re: the best throw? - 06/14/02 11:03 PM

my sensei told me yrs ago the best self defence was was ashi waza.put one foot in front of the as fast as you can.no trophys or medals.just your own skin.gus
Posted by: CWP

Re: the best throw? - 09/13/02 06:53 PM

I prefer plain old Ippon Seoi Nage. Simple and versatile. It can be a really hard fall, or done as a makkikomi and followed up with groundwork.
Posted by: Scholar

Re: the best throw? - 03/27/03 06:56 PM

The best throw for me was a sacrifice where I circled behind, grabbed/hugged around the arms and twisted uke under me to the floor It is best because it worked for me in randori. I think the reverse o-goshi from uke's rear with arm around neck to throw him on his front is impressive.
Posted by: Shoot-Fighter

Re: the best throw? - 05/03/03 07:53 AM

It's not a "judo" throw but I would say that a suplex-style throw is great for the street!!

Also, a "helicopter" throw from a double underhook is another great throw, as is a "sitting" sweep.
Posted by: joesixpack

Re: the best throw? - 05/03/03 09:21 PM

The most devestating throw with the least effort is to stand side on, facing the same way as uke, clasp your hands together behind their knees, and wrench their legs up and away.

Hed hits pavement, ouch.
Posted by: kempo_jujitsu

Re: the best throw? - 06/15/03 09:02 AM

does anybody ever wonder about the legal ramifications of letting someones head hit the concrete??? he gets out of the hospital (maybe!) and you go to prison for attempted murder lol....just a thought
Posted by: immrtldragon

Re: the best throw? - 06/16/03 04:22 PM

I'd imagine if you were in iminent danger and it is not a retalitory strike (or uh throw), you would have a strong argument for self defense. If on the other you grab some guy from behind and decide to show him what Judo feels like on concrete, find a good lawyer.
Posted by: Quan Chi

Re: the best throw? - 06/19/03 03:36 PM

I think o soto gari is one of the most versatile, where I am (jitsu club) we often do a lot of gauntlet work, when you've got multiple attackers you just can't always afford to grab, swivel, drop etc.

O soto gari is almost an auto pilot throw...and works (unless there's weapons involved!)

But my favourite throw for "coolness" value is kotomo seionage. It just looks great!
Posted by: ricksonlegend

Re: the best throw? - 07/24/03 12:25 AM

To tell you the truth, there isn't a "best throw." You have to find a few throws that you feel comfortable with and work them over and over. Some throws will feel more comfortable to you than they do to other people. But the key is to find what throws work best for you and training them until they are reflexive. And the reason for picking a few throws is because you can find yourself in different situations that call for different techniques.