asathma

Posted by: Melanie15

asathma - 08/18/02 01:52 PM

I can't really spell that but anyways.

Can anyone give me some advice on what to do about it when I am training because it bother's me and I was wondering if there was a way I could breath so it wouldn't bother me as much. any and all advice is welcomed

Melanie15
Posted by: Tigress

Re: asathma - 09/22/02 07:25 AM

You haven't said whether you used an inhaler already for your asthma. If you don't, you should see a doctor for some of the prescription drugs that really help with this. Also is your asthma excercise induced (does it affect you only when you work out)? This can also be helped by special inhalers. The warm, moist air typical in sweaty gyms, dojos is aggravating your condition as well.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Melanie15:

Can anyone give me some advice on what to do about it when I am training because it bother's me and I was wondering if there was a way I could breath so it wouldn't bother me as much. any and all advice is welcomed

Melanie15 [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]
[/QUOTE]
Posted by: Melanie15

Re: asathma - 09/22/02 09:39 AM

Yes it is exersize indused yes I have an inhaler I have tryed alot of them but yet none work. I was hopeing someone might have some info to help me thanks
Melanie [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]
Posted by: gojuwarrior1

Re: asathma - 01/23/03 06:33 PM

sanchin breating (not intense though)is good for it.
Posted by: JKogas

Re: asathma - 02/02/03 12:11 PM

See a doctor and tell him what you do. Follow his adice. That's the best you can do.

-John

[This message has been edited by JKogas (edited 02-02-2003).]
Posted by: judderman

Re: asathma - 04/21/03 04:57 PM

Try not so deep breaths through your nose. This works best when at rest or light work out.

Try meditation and Yoga to help with the control of your breathing.

These helped me, but it would depend on the severity of your asthma. As John said, go see your Doctor for advice.

Budo.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: asathma - 04/21/03 05:20 PM

When I started Martial Arts, I was using my inhaler three or four times a day when I wasn't training. I sometimes also needed it halfway through a lesson.
I found that the fitter I got, the less I needed my inhaler. I use it maybe half a dozen times a year now.
I am not saying this will definitely be the case for you, but I would be willing to bet you will see some improvement within two to three years.
In the meantime, apart from the good advice already given here, two more things:
First, try not to panic if you become breathess during training (easy for me to say eh?) Breathe slowly and deeply and use your inhaler if necessary.
Second, if you haven't done so already, make sure your instructor knows about your asthma and that you may need to use your inhaler during the lesson.
Good luck
Sharon
Posted by: mickx

Re: asathma - 04/25/03 03:07 AM

I learned from a tai chi instructor that there are pressure points that you can rub that help temporarily calm asthma, and even stop it for short periods of time. One spot is right under your collar bone, just a little left from the center of your collar bone where the little swoosh dip thingie is. Just feel where that little gap is with your fingers and rub the left side of it. Also, when in motion (working out, training etc) breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth. As you breathe, be sure to keep the tip of your tounge pressed up against the roof of your mouth, as that is another pressure point. The other two points that i know of are right under your shoulderblades. After a good 30 seconds to a minute of rubbing those areas, your asthma should be almost immediately relieved. I dont really know anything about tai chi, so if anyone could help me elaborate on this, please do so. I use inhalers too. I keep an albuterol on me at all times and i use serevent at home before i leave. I also normally try to keep my breathing at a good steady pace, so i dont end up breathing too hard and fast thus getting light headed and or the asthma would kick in. I dont know. =]
Posted by: mikelw

Re: asathma - 04/25/03 11:50 PM

I used to get exercise induced asthma, but when i started doing karate, it went away as i got in good shape.
Posted by: Reiki

Re: asathma - 04/27/03 07:56 PM

I have exercise induced asthma too, it is also worse if I've had a cold or the flu.

It causes more problems when I'm doing a lot of running and really hard pad drill type workouts and is also worse if the air is dusty. I use my inhaler *before* training sessions to ensure that I don't have a problem.

Breathe in thru your nose and out thru your mouth is also good for control.

The pressure points mickx suggested look good too, they would be well worth a try. The tongue position suggested completes the hui-yin circuit for ki circulation.

Budo
Posted by: Fighting Dwarf

Re: asathma - 05/02/03 05:47 PM

I just wanted to add one thing to the good advice above. I had asthma as a teenager, it's pretty much gone away over the last few years (especially since starting training). I tend to find that the only time it's likely to bother me now is if I get winded quite hard and don't stop. Just something you should maybe look out for.

Charlie
Posted by: Glashopper

Re: asathma - 06/02/03 01:17 AM

I threw away my inhalers over three years ago and have not stepped into a doctors office since then. They made me dizzy and speedy feeling and I never felt like I got any real relief. My asthma is aggravated by sparring and skipping rope. I also am overweight, but have started a good diet and have started losing the extra pounds already. I really think by staying determined to lose the weight and building up my endurance in rope jumping, that it will make it easier to spar for a greater length of time. I found my weakness and now I am focusing on just that. I live on the 3rd floor with no elevator....yes, I get a little winded by the time I hit the top of the 3rd floor, but I wouldn't have it any other way. What doesn't kill me will only make me stronger. BTW....I really have enjoyed these forums and all the support has been awesome! Thanks!
Posted by: Fighting Dwarf

Re: asathma - 06/02/03 04:36 AM

Glashopper, are you sure that the dizzy feeling was caused by the inhaler and not though hyperventilating?

-Charlie
Posted by: Karate Dude

Re: asathma - 06/26/03 10:45 PM

Like jkogas said,She needs to see a doctor,& If you've already seen a doctor,Youneed to talk to your instructor,& ask him if you could take it slow. PS Melanie15,Would you plz let us know how you're doing? [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

[This message has been edited by Karate Dude (edited 06-26-2003).]
Posted by: No_Know

Re: asathma - 02/20/04 11:50 AM

Massaging the shoulders, chest, stomach, belly, ribs and sides on the bottom.

Only do some of class at a time (warn the instructors) stop before you triger hurt.

Do you have sharp pain, dull pain or is it pressure?

Re: asathma - 05/10/04 08:42 PM

melanie: I have had asthma most of my life and am a black belt. several things: 1) the better shape you are in the better it is 2) you need the right medications, - a "rescue" medicine, such as albuterol(proventil) and, very importantly, a general antiinflammatory- both are provided in advair- which is a disk type inhaler. If necessary you may even need as a supplemental boost, theophylline, and also singulair. you have to try to take control of the underlying inflammation problem which is not controlled just by continued use of albuterol.
Posted by: Ronin1966

Re: asathma - 05/27/04 05:04 PM

Hello Melanie15,

All the other suggestions I am sure worked well for the individuals sharing them with you. FIRST and foremost however, talk with your medical team, your school nurse, your physician, whomever...but someone with a MEDICAL degree about the problems you are facing & experiencing.

Asthma is a DANGEROUS thing, do NOT toss out YOUR inhaler(s) until you are told to do so, by a medical expert!!! Any and all of the suggestions that any of us offer might very well work. However ending up dead because you made a foolish choice and threw them out prematurely/mistakenly is easily avoided.

Take the safest route. And be very blessed cautious...

Jeff
Posted by: ken harding

Re: asathma - 06/23/04 07:18 AM

First off talk to your doctor! Everyone on here who said that is correct.

While talking to him/her ask about Power Breathe. It's a breathing device which introduces resistance and strengthens the diaphragm. All I can say it is has helped me with my asthma and I don't really need inhalers anymore though I confess to keeping one in the cupboard at home. Every 12 months I change it for a new one...used it once this year. Used to go through one every 5 or 6 weeks.

If you are interested a swift google search will take you to a link to get one. BUT CLEAR IT WITH THE DOCTOR FIRST <<<<<<

Re: asathma - 07/12/04 08:42 AM

Dont let asthma stop you! With Karate you can work throuth it! No matter how bad it is, dont give up! Just belive in yourself. [QUOTE]Originally posted by Melanie15:

Melanie15 [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]
[/QUOTE]