Grocery Shopping

Posted by: Anonymous

Grocery Shopping - 04/15/05 11:05 AM

When you guys go grocery shopping, which nutritional facts do you check out to ensure it's healthy? Besides calories, carbs and grams of fat, is there anything else? I've seen people on these forums suggest under 50g of fat(healthy fat) a day, and I've read a thread on bmr/rmr and calorie intake, just curious to know what you look for when you buy food and how it factors into your diet/routine.
Posted by: still wadowoman

Re: Grocery Shopping - 04/15/05 11:40 AM

I buy mostly fresh, as opposed to processed foods. This cuts out a lot of problems.

Most ready meals contain lots of preservatives and other rubbish.
Sharon
Posted by: MikeMartial

Re: Grocery Shopping - 04/15/05 01:29 PM

I usually look at protein content, and shy away from anything containing simple carbs (ie sugar). There's a time and place for dextrose and maltodextrose, but that's another story.

I also look for mono and poly unsaturated fats, and there's no way I'll eat anything with trans fats. Fat still has a bad rep from the 80's and 90's---when in fact, it's essential, and extremely healthy. But you need to know what type.

I'm not too concerned with overall calories, myself. But it also depends on your training goals.

Like Sharon said, buying fresh eliminates most questions. I do the "round trip" at the grocery store, where everything that is fresh (healthy) is located: fruits, veggies, fresh meat and fish, whole grain breads, etc.

I find I'm in the grocery store every 3 days or so, but it's worth it.

Re: Grocery Shopping - 04/16/05 02:41 AM

yeah..i also try to go for unprocessed foods...i also try to spend 2 days a week having just pure foods (fresh fruit, organic meat, fresh vegies and complex carbohydrates)...

stay away from monosacharrides (sugars) and try go more for disaccharides and polysaccharides..also eat mono and poly unsaturated fats (vege fats) not saturated fats (animal fats) as they add cholesterol to your arteries = heart disease after a long time..for a normal person under 30% of your daily diet should be fats

Re: Grocery Shopping - 04/17/05 11:24 PM

I watch the sodium content and the fibre, depending on what it is.