Whey Protein

Posted by: Anonymous

Whey Protein - 04/09/05 08:27 PM

Hey guys, I've been browsing these boards all day and had a quick little question about whey protein. I'm about 6'3 140 pounds and am looking to gain a little muscle and size. I've read good things about whey protein aiding in work-outs and bulking up and I'm planning on buying some in a few days. I'm also a health food/healthy eating nut, so I'm looking to buy a whey protein that is healthy. I'm not so sure if that makes complete sense, but you know how you can make hamburgers at your house and it would be semi-good for you; on the otherhand, you can buy a hamburger at a fast food place and it will be relatively unhealthy? Basically what I'm asking if there is a good brand/store (Southern Californa) for whey protein. Thanks! Hope that made some sense.

Re: Whey Protein - 04/09/05 11:09 PM

Well, none are really bad for you. There are some that are much more whey and less real protein though. Pretty much the better it is the more expensive.

Re: Whey Protein - 04/10/05 07:26 PM

I've done some research and have been using various whey protein supplements for a while, and this is the best in my opinion: Optimum Whey Protein.
http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/opt/whey.html

You can get it from there, but you have to pay shipping and handling, so if you can find it somewhere around where you live, get it there if its cheaper.

Re: Whey Protein - 04/10/05 10:17 PM

And since I'm just starting out with weight lifting, I should wait until I hit a plateau before I start using whey protein huh? Thanks for the help.

Re: Whey Protein - 04/11/05 09:33 AM

Which whey protein is better..Cookies n' cream, chocolate, or vanilla?

Re: Whey Protein - 04/13/05 12:20 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by tristeza:
And since I'm just starting out with weight lifting, I should wait until I hit a plateau before I start using whey protein huh? Thanks for the help.[/QUOTE]

WTF? No way. Once you plateu with those slow twitch fibers, since I'm assuming you're going to do the basic repetition method that most people do (bleh), protein is not going to help you build any more. Use it now to help you build. Also, it's probably going to take you years to plateu.
Posted by: Alejandro

Re: Whey Protein - 04/13/05 04:33 PM

Optimum 100% Whey all the way! Most bang for your buck.

-Al

Re: Whey Protein - 04/20/05 09:05 PM

When are you supposed to take whey protein? Before or after or both after a workout? Also, do you need to take it on off days when you're not working out? Thanks.

Re: Whey Protein - 04/21/05 03:04 PM

Good question.

This is what I was told by the woman at the health store when I first starting buying protein.

She told me, you can take it before a workout for energy, but not right before because it can fill up your stomache. The most important time for your muscles to get protein is within 30 minutes AFTER a workout. This is when the muscles are broke down and are in the process of beggining to rebuild. In that 30 minutes, the muscle tissues are torn and the protein will reach them the fastest. After 30 minutes they start to close and it's almost a wasted effort.

She also told me, if you are trying to build to take the protein the morning after a workout as well.