Does creatin work without weight lifting?

Posted by: Anonymous

Does creatin work without weight lifting? - 03/27/05 10:09 PM

some one told me it did
Posted by: MikeMartial

Re: Does creatin work without weight lifting? - 03/28/05 12:31 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by TheSkinnyGuy:
some one told me it did[/QUOTE]

Someone lied to you.

Re: Does creatin work without weight lifting? - 03/28/05 01:41 AM

Hello,
Also saw your post on the strengthening forum asking about creatine. Thought I'd give you some general info about it:

What is creatine?
Creatine Monohydrate is one of the most popular sports supplements on the market . Creatine is a compound made naturally in our bodies as an energy replenisher. It is manufactured in the liver, kidneys and pancreas and secreted into blood for transport to muscle (amongst other) tissues. Its chemical name is methylguanido-acetic acid, formed from the amino acids arginine, methionine and glycine.

Does creatine work?
Well no supplement 'works' per se; supplements merely 'supplement'; but, yes, creatine, when consumed in correct doses, will help the individual receive the desired effects. Creatine is probably the most scientifically researched sports supplement ever, providing strong evidence that it helps improve performance. However, a few individuals do report that they have not noticed any notable improvements from using creatine.

What does creatine do?
Creatine has a number of major functions as a sports supplement. All of these functions revolve around its function as an energy replenisher through it forming the creatine phosphate (CP or phosphocreatine) molecule.
* Creatine replenishes ATP
ATP is the molecule which when broken down releases energy for the muscle to contract. When used up, ATP needs to be replenished by re-acquiring phosphates. CP acts as a phosphate transporter. CP gives up its phosphate to ATP freeing creatine to form the bi-product creatine for excretion.
* Creatine increases body weight
Most users experience notable weight increases when they commence a course of creatine, up to six or seven pounds (about three kilograms), especially the first time they use it. Most of this weight gain is from the cell volumising effect which is not permanent. Drink plenty of water.

What do I mix creatine with?
Creatine is even more effective when taken with simple carbohydrates. This is due to the effect carbohydrates have on insulin release, and the insulin in turn helps muscle cell uptake of creatine. It has been suggested that a formula of roughly 35g of dextrose plus 5g of creatine monohydrate is the optimum for an effect.

And last of all... of cousre you have to workout to get any gain from it. Its just a supplement...
Sorry its a long un...
Gary.

[This message has been edited by Garyinjapan (edited 03-28-2005).]

[This message has been edited by Garyinjapan (edited 03-28-2005).]

Re: Does creatin work without weight lifting? - 03/28/05 02:31 AM

Not even steroids work without weight training!!! [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG]