tuna for protein

Posted by: Anonymous

tuna for protein - 03/20/05 05:57 AM

Is a large can of tuna an hour before my workout and another after mi workout sufficient to help repair and to help my muscles grow? I dont want to take whey or anything, but to just keep it all natural with good wholesome foods.
Posted by: MikeMartial

Re: tuna for protein - 03/20/05 08:20 AM

Check some of the articles on protein shakes here in this forum.

Plus, read this on whey protein:
http://www.bodybuildingforyou.com/protein/whey-protein-supplements.htm

There's no reason why you shouldn't want whey in your diet. As far as "natural" and "wholesome", it's already both of those.

Tuna isn't a bad choice, though. Gram for gram, it very protein dense, at about 30 grams of protein per can.

There have been some concerns about the mercury levels in tuna, but the jury is still out on that, as far as healthy adult males and the amount one can consume. Myself, I eat about 2-3 cans per week.

Re: tuna for protein - 03/21/05 06:51 AM

look around on the web about the different types of proteins and how well they are used by the body to develop muscle. i think u will be surprised....
Kel
ps tuna has kinda a low rating for being used by the body for muccle. eggs, chicken, steak are HIGH. whey is great.
everything ive read suggests that eating alittle of ALL types of protein is the best way to go. i eat pretty much eggs, chicken, some steak (too high fat is bad), tuna is great, so is pnut butter to a lesser degree.

Re: tuna for protein - 03/23/05 04:36 PM

Tuna is excellant source of protein but by no means the best as it is natural source it is very slow in digesting so in practise it is not a good source for muscle repair after training as this damage repair is best initialised within 45 minutes of training, whey protein as you mentioned you would not like to take is excellant, as whey is digested into the body almost immidiatly and price wise (in england) a tin of tuna matches that of whey protein. drink. another point to consider if the tuna is in brine and this is consumed one tin of tuna is over the RDA of salt.

Re: tuna for protein - 03/29/05 09:07 AM

Also, after working out you need carbohydrates for your muscles to absorb the protein and repair the muscles. Tuna has none. But, as a no-carb protein source, tuna is an excellent choice.

Re: tuna for protein - 03/29/05 09:57 AM

Be very careful about the amount of tuna you eat. I can't recall the gov website offhand, but it is high in mercury and is on the list of foods to keep under a certain intake. My friend runs the local fisheries division of the Fish and Wildlife and has basically told everyone he knows that the government warning sheet (wish I had it...the last one posted is about 10 years old) is too low and that he forbids his family to eat ANY tuna.

Re: tuna for protein - 03/29/05 10:36 AM

what happens if you eat too much tuna?

Re: tuna for protein - 03/29/05 01:29 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by TheSkinnyGuy:
what happens if you eat too much tuna?[/QUOTE]

U get fat i.e. u can no longer call yourself TheSkinnyGuy!

Excess protein is either used for energy, and if this is not required, it is metabolized into fat. Hope this helps!

Re: tuna for protein - 04/05/05 01:46 PM

Check this out for Mercury content in tuna: http://www.nrdc.org/health/effects/mercury/tuna.asp
Cut & Paste it into the URL - let me know if it works.
Turkey's a good protein source too.

Re: tuna for protein - 04/05/05 01:58 PM

Try making these bars - they're packed with protein, they're filling, and they taste awesome. You also work out your arms making these. I try to stay away from them because of the "unnatural" soy protein, but that's just me.

CORN SYRUP OAT BARS

INGREDIENTS:
2 cups corn syrup
1 tablespoon honey
2 cups natural peanut butter,
1 to 2 tablespoons cocoa
1 teaspoon (or more) cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups naturade vegetable protein powder (available at health food stores)
3 cups oats, quick or old fashioned, pureed into a powder in a food processor

METHOD:
Mix the first 6 ingredients in a bowl. Stir in protein powder until the mixture becomes too stiff, then use your hands to mix. Add ground oats; at this point upper body strength is required. The dough will be very stiff. After mixing, spread onto a 11.5" X 15" jelly roll pan coated with non-stick cooking spray. Refrigerate for at least one hour; cut into 30 bars, and place each into a Ziploc bag or store them somehow. They will remain fresh longer if refrigerated.