energy drinks

Posted by: Anonymous

energy drinks - 03/03/05 06:41 AM

I was wondering if energy drinks, such as Monster or Red Bull, are good for the body. I know they have high levels of vitamins, mostly the B vitamins, but it also has high levels of caffiene and things of the like. I wonder if it is detremental to the body.

Re: energy drinks - 03/05/05 04:12 AM

dont know [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/confused.gif[/IMG] but did not know they had high V.B in them i will try some [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]
Posted by: schanne

Re: energy drinks - 03/05/05 08:39 AM

You don't need that crap, just eat right.

Re: energy drinks - 03/05/05 10:59 AM

if your getting to go get red bull get it in the bottle it tastes even better

Re: energy drinks - 03/08/05 06:21 AM

I'm afraid to say that they are very bad for you. Red bull is one of my faverout drinks of all time, but it is very bad for you. Drinking too many energy drinks (As in daily) can lower your body's natural ability to produce and use sources of energy.

Don't get me wrong they are great to have before a competition if you need a little extra energy, and one every so often wont hurt you but don't start drinking them daily.

[This message has been edited by Rk-Yong Gi Do (edited 03-24-2005).]

Re: energy drinks - 03/23/05 05:14 PM

i cant say from experiance as i dont drink them but at the moment there is a fad in england with red bull i know people who have to have it for breakfast beleving they cant start the day without it on the same note many of my friends drink it when out usually several cans, and they crash on it at the end of the night (not all drink alcohol) so i can see that it does not appear to be that good in large doses hope this helps

Re: energy drinks - 03/24/05 10:15 AM

ive tried things like red bull, ephedra, etc and it always seems that when the effects run out, i am tired and many times have a headache...so it was never worth it to me.

the only time i ever used ephedra for any length of time was heavy squat days. it made me able to work harder for greater lengths and my legs showed a large improvement (but i was working hard enough that 1. i felt like throwing up, and 2. after the ephedra wore off i had to take a nap for an hour or so).

Kel
Posted by: MikeMartial

Re: energy drinks - 03/24/05 12:44 PM

They are not *good* for you, per se; usually, all they have in them is sugar, some form of caffiene or ephedra, and a bunch of useless crap like herbs and minute amounts of vitamins and amino acids.

The ergogenic effect of either caffiene or ephedra can be benefical when training; but like Kell said, use with caution.

Ephedra, and caffiene to a smaller extent, have cardiovascular effects on the beta-1 and beta-2 receptors; in the right dose, you get the desired effect of decreased fatigue and sense of extertion.

In the wrong dose, well, you figure it out. Too much of a good thing can be a very bad thing.

I used to use ephedrine tabs when I trained, but no more. If I didn't time it right, I'd "crash" before I was done training. That's a shitty feeling. It's just not worth it.

Caffiene? Hell yeah, I love a few cups of strong coffee. Energy drinks? If you like em, use em. Just keep in mind what they are--a minor "adjunct" to training.

If you put your mind to it, you can train just as hard without them---and without the negative side effects.

*On a personal note, I find caffiene helpful prior to heavy anareobic training like weight lifting, but I find more of a negative effect prior to any type of aerobic or aerobic/anerobic combo, like martial arts.

Re: energy drinks - 03/24/05 02:21 PM

POSITIVES OF ENERGY DRINKS (red bull used in this example)

1. Contains caffeine and taurine. These enhance training performance and I also believe they aid recovery (at least the taurine does)

2. Contains loads of vitamins, especially B complex.

3. High caffeine increases metabolic rate and therefore burns fat, even when ur resting. Energy drinks are therefore useful if cutting up!

NEGATIVES OF ENERGY DRINKS

1. Contain sugar, usually refined.

2. Diet versions of red bull contain aspartame, a dangerous sweetener which is coverted into formic acid in the stomach. (this is what ants produce to kill predators)

3. Too much caffeine can cause insomnia, which leads to reduced recovery time after training. Not a good thing lol!!!

Hope this helps u! I use energy drinks on occasions, but I prefer coffee as it is more natural and does not contain sweeteners or loads of sugar.

Re: energy drinks - 04/02/05 01:13 AM

There is a new energy drink out as of March 2005. It's called Killer Buzz. It's like Red Bull, different flavor and it has GHAA -Giant Hornet Amino Acid in it. The GHAA is what, according to research from a Japanese scientist, is what gives the Giant Hornet from Japan it's stamina and endurance.

I just thought I'd mention it here, since it seems appropriate. It's not sold in stores, but can be ordered online at:
http://www.sellenergydrinks.com

Dojo owners could stock and sell to students. It can be a business opportunity or just a way to get this exclusive energy drink.

Hope this info helps someone looking for an energy drink that really works.

[This message has been edited by Jazen (edited 04-02-2005).]

Re: energy drinks - 04/03/05 04:30 AM

Well I tend to buy one before I start breakin with my buddies (I'm a breakdancer). Seems to help me out, I don't get as tired when dancing for long stretches of time, and need less of a break inbetween routines or rounds. But since they taste good, they've probably got a lot of crap in em that's bad, most good tasting things are bad for you [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/frown.gif[/IMG]