body mass index for youths

Posted by: still wadowoman

body mass index for youths - 02/28/05 03:32 PM

My Elder son is almost 16 and he applied today to join the armed forces.

As part of the application process he was measured and weighed. His height is 1.78m and his weight is only 57kg. This gives him a BMI of around 18. He has been advised to gain weight before the medical and fitness tests.

He is very fit and active and eats like a horse already. His diet includes lots of pasta, potatoes and cereals, plenty of meat, fruit and vegtetables and not too much fat.

I know we have had questions on this subject many times, but any specific advice for someone so young?

Both he and I prefer not to go down the supplement route.
Sharon
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: body mass index for youths - 02/28/05 04:07 PM

I would reccomend eating 6 to 8 times a day in a small divided meal. Eat every 2-3 hours. Eat healthy, like skiness chicken breast/skinless turkey with pasta. Eat alot of fruits for snack, instead of candy have a banana,an apple and or pear.

Make sure he eat breakfast too. I would make some healthy milk shake or smoothie. Example, the one that I made and drink, 2 cup 2% fat milk, with 1 to 1 1/2 cup of you favorite ice cream, then a banana or some strawberry, cranberry, or blue berry. But you can add some protein power to it too if you want the extra calories and protein.

I would reccomend seeing a family dietous/doctor practioner to see what he/she recommend.

taichi

I just finish a class on Nutrition, 18.5 or below is underweight.

BMI 18.5 to 24.9 is normal
25-29.9 is over weight
30-obese
40 or more overly overweight

I wanted to listed that just in case you want to know.

Re: body mass index for youths - 03/01/05 12:50 AM

thanks you taichi for the information

geez,

maximus general of the Roman Phalax legion, now bow before me, just kidding [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

Re: body mass index for youths - 03/01/05 05:25 AM

Sharon,

I have done physical assessments for US military personel/recruits, and while not knowing the strict UK requirements, this may be helpful for you.

It is not uncommon for young very active men to actually gain weight/body fat in some US recruit training programs. This can be typical of the Navy and and Air Force, where the programs are shorter duration and more academic. The US Marines allow a higher body fat score than any other service because you will lose it all due to duration and severity of physical training.

Without knowing the branch of service your son intends to join or the physical demands of said service I would offer this: Your son sounds healthy and in great condition. That is the most important. If he joins a service that is not too physically demanding he may lose conditioning. All will have special programs to help those that need to either gain or lose weight.

In short, what he is doing is just fine. If he is eating healthy, and maintaining a high muscle to weight ratio, the rest will fall into place.

My best to your son. You should be proud. In these times of world conflict, when military service is not compulsory, those that choose to serve should be held in the highest regard!

Page
Posted by: still wadowoman

Re: body mass index for youths - 03/01/05 05:57 AM

Taichi

Thank you for your advice. All my children seem to take after me metabolism wise, but then we are all very active. I struggle to keep my BMI at 21.

Page,

Thank you. I am very proud of him. He has applied for the infantry with artillery as second choice. To be honest I would prefer him to choose a safer job, but if this is what he wants to do I will support him 100% As you rightly say, in these uncertain times we should all be grateful that there are people that want to do this job.
Sharon

Re: body mass index for youths - 03/01/05 03:43 PM

Hi! wadowoman! how are you? I ask my strengthing and condition coach about, how an active active/athlete BMI and Body fat to compare to yours average Joe

He told me that it depend on what training phase are you on, phase traing circle. Example I have a training program for martial arts where I will train for 4 hrs with water break in between for the next 3 months everyday, the first month is the most intense that where I train really hard, and that where my BMI and Body fat drop to it lowest, then I drop my training session to 3 hours a day with water break in between, and then at the end of the phase that where I good back to regular routine to gave my body time to reccoperated itself and that when my BMI/Body fat is back to normal, I hope.

Sorry I cannot explain it better. Alway can said is the best way to gain weight or get the nutrient or vitamin you need is from Mother Nature. Eat solid foods. I would reccomend eating healthy. Alots vegeable and fruit, whole bread.

taichi