Mega Man

Posted by: Anonymous

Mega Man - 02/08/05 12:02 PM

Hello all,

I've recently started taking GNC's mega men vitamin supplement as my daily multivitamin.

Does anybody have any ideas how it stacks up against others out there (like centrum)?

Assuming one wasn't taking a multivitamin previously, how long of daily dosages before you 'feel' a difference inside of your body?

Thanks,
Ed

Re: Mega Man - 02/08/05 01:48 PM

I've been taking it for around four months now. Seems to work fine for me. I don't really feel any different though.
Posted by: laf7773

Re: Mega Man - 02/08/05 11:21 PM

I don't think your going to feel a difference. Marketing would like you to think you will but it's unlikely. Some people may say they did start to feel better or feel different after they started taking them but people who say this generally start working out when they take the vitamins. It's the increased exercise making them feel better not the vitamins.

Taking them can keep you from feeling bad if you don't eat right or your not able to get enough nutrients from your diet while working out.

I haven't taken Mega man but i know several who have and they have had no issues to speak of. I took Ultramega green for a while and thought they worked out just fine, other than the fact they turned my urine green for a while.

Re: Mega Man - 02/09/05 07:08 AM

follow the below post and look for "link to vitamin article" about 3 down. it is a great article and will show u a lot of common misperceptions reference vitamins and how the expensive ones are not always the best. it tells u what to look for in a vitamin supplement and that the big name brands (like GNC, centruum, etc) are not always the best to purchase. it is not slanted in any direction and is put out by an independent authority not trying to peddle there products; in fact there is a chart comparing 100's of different vitamins and the companies that produce them and what important vits and minerals they have and dont have...
Kel
http://runningforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15027&highlight=vitamins

[This message has been edited by hunterkell (edited 02-09-2005).]

Re: Mega Man - 02/09/05 09:45 AM

Thanks guys. I was hoping to feel slightly more energetic on account of not having taking a regular multivitamin in the past so we'll see how it goes . . .

i looked up GNC's mega men on hunterkell's vitamin article...while it wasnt featured some other GNC's were and they appeared to be sub-par. The mega men one, met all of the reviewer's characteristics for a good vitamin, enough selenium, enough magnesium, not too much vitamin A, etc... thanks hunterkell, it was an interesting read!

Ed

Re: Mega Man - 02/09/05 10:14 AM

MREd,
your welcome,
interestingly enough, when i read the article and checked the charts, i found a walgreen vitamin supplement that had everything that was suggested as important (i think it was one of the "recommended" buys). anyway, i found it at walgreens for around 15 bucks for 365 pills....
Kel

Re: Mega Man - 02/16/05 03:02 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MrEd:
Hello all,

I've recently started taking GNC's mega men vitamin supplement as my daily multivitamin.

Does anybody have any ideas how it stacks up against others out there (like centrum)?

Assuming one wasn't taking a multivitamin previously, how long of daily dosages before you 'feel' a difference inside of your body?

Thanks,
Ed
[/QUOTE]

FWIW, GNC's Mega Men is far superior to Centrum. Centrum plays on the general public's ignorance of the particulars of the RDA (Recommended Daily Allowance) for vitamins, as established by the FDA 50-odd years ago. Centrum's claim to fame is the whole "100% of everything from A-to-Zinc" schtick, but considering that the RDA has never been updated, it can be misleading. The RDA simply shows the minimum level of vitamins required for the minimum level of health--i.e., getting jusgt enough vitamins to avoid a deficiency disease. For example, the RDA for Vitamin C is a measly 60mg, which is just enough to prevent scurvy.

Therefore, more progressive folks in the medical field have been advocating higher doses of at least certain vitamins and other nutrients. The Perscription For Nutritional Healing book, by Phyllis A. Balch, CNC, and James F. Balch, MD (which is pretty much the standard reference work found in vitamin shops and health food stores) is a good general guide to have.

Mega Men features a 50mg B-Complex, and the B vitamins are essential for the utilization of energy (they are also depleted during stress). Combining a good B-Complex with a decent diet and 6-8 hours of uninterrupted sleep should help one's energy levels.

However, if you really want a top-notch multi, go to your local GNC or other vitamin store and get Pure Essence Lab's Life Essence (The Master Multiple). This is a wholefood-based, 4-per-day multivitamin/multimineral supplement, which is high in the B vitamins, features 1000 mg of Ester-C (the superior form of vitamin C), and plenty of antioxidant nutrients, enzymes, and other nutritional goodies from various natural sources. This is the only multi with which I have really felt a major difference, physically speaking.

Re: Mega Man - 02/21/05 06:31 AM

Hi AMP,
ur blog was pretty informative. the thing i liked about the vitamin article that i posted up was that u DONT have to go out and spend premium dollars to get premium coverage. there are companies out there that offer as good coverage for less money.
Kel