Natural Bodyweight VS Heavy Weights.

Posted by: Anonymous

Natural Bodyweight VS Heavy Weights. - 01/04/05 01:33 AM

What is the best method of building a solid core and muscle at the same time?
Im 17 and stll growing, and I hear that weightlifting can have reverse effects to a growing body.

So is it better to do exercises that use your own bodyweight, such as pushups situps ect, at increased reps. Or use heavy weights?

And how long will it take to see noticable results. Im currently 65KG with practically no body fat.

Re: Natural Bodyweight VS Heavy Weights. - 01/04/05 08:19 AM

Weightlifting can potentially cause your bones to slow growth. It makes the bones stronger and thicker (which is good as you get older), which can cause young "green" bones to harden prematurely. At your age, however, I am pretty sure you are past this point.

That is mostly a concern for younger kids, who are really still growing.

Weightlifting will generally get you into stronger, more muscular condition than isometrics (body weight excercises).

Isometrics are safer than weightlifting, especially if you lift heavy weights. Use a spotter when lifting heavy.

Results vary greatly, depending on your body type. Some people will see results in a month. Personally, it took me over a year before it was really visible.

Never, EVER take steroids!!!!

Hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by MattJ (edited 01-04-2005).]

Re: Natural Bodyweight VS Heavy Weights. - 01/05/05 08:16 AM

I've never done heavy weights, but I have seen a definate improvement since starting bodyweight exercises just 2 weeks ago. Most people on this site are probably sick of seeing the name Matt Furey, but it's worth doing a search for because he recommends some great exercises that strengthen your body more specifically for martial arts whilst not taking much time out of your day.
Cheaper than the weights too!

Like I said though, I haven't done weights so I can't say from experience which is better.. but maybe body weight is the way to go about it until you are completely comfortable that weights won't have a negative effect.

Good luck!

Re: Natural Bodyweight VS Heavy Weights. - 01/06/05 04:33 AM

Yeah, i would never try steroids, apparently they shrink your penis, give you heart issues, and cause testicular cancer.

Ive decided to keep my routine to going to the gym once a week, and not overwork myself, and keep away from chances of injury. Personally in my experiances, doing lots of pushups is more better and makes me alot sorer than a day at the gym.

Re: Natural Bodyweight VS Heavy Weights. - 01/12/05 08:26 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Oliver:
What is the best method of building a solid core and muscle at the same time?
Im 17 and stll growing, and I hear that weightlifting can have reverse effects to a growing body.

So is it better to do exercises that use your own bodyweight, such as pushups situps ect, at increased reps. Or use heavy weights?

And how long will it take to see noticable results. Im currently 65KG with practically no body fat.
[/QUOTE]

Both exercises are beneficial. I started lifting weights at age 16 and have had no problems at all. In fact some studies show a child can begin strength training as early as 10 years old with no problems as long as they do it under supervision properly.

Re: Natural Bodyweight VS Heavy Weights. - 01/13/05 01:48 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Oliver:
Yeah, i would never try steroids, apparently they shrink your penis ...[/QUOTE]

Funny ... I laugh everytime I read something like this. Most side affects are:

1. Steriods have been linked to cardiovascular disease, including heart attack and stroke. These heart problems can even happen to athletes under the age of 30.

2. In both sexes, steroids can cause male-pattern baldness, cysts, acne, and oily hair and skin.

3. Steroids can make you angry and hostile for no reason. This is mainly for younger people as they are going through enough body changes. As you get older this become less a factor.

4. Anabolic steroids can cause bones to stop growing prematurely

5. Steriods can cause testicular atrophy (the balls shrink and become inactive). Penis doesn't shrink!!!

6. Steriods can cause liver tumors.

7. Steriods can cause female breast development in men (gynecomastia).

Plus there are other side affects. BUT there are also good things about steriods as this is quite common in asthma inhalers, drugs for treating illnesses and the such. Even as a weight lifter they can be beneficial but most of these people doing them in professional areas are being administered by doctors or professionals.

I've thought about them but have never done them. I'd hate to have the problems plus sometime in your life you will want to get off them and then you will loose too much. They are addicting and I'd hate to have to admit that anything I gained came from a pill or bottle. And in many jobs drug testing would detect this and would not be accepted. Too many bad things ... not enough good things.

Re: Natural Bodyweight VS Heavy Weights. - 01/29/05 05:05 AM

I have been doing weights since I was 15, now 15 and a half, and was wondering is there any chance of the stunting of my growth? I have delibertaly not bench pressed any more than 50 kg and this is the main exercise I have done.

Re: Natural Bodyweight VS Heavy Weights. - 01/30/05 01:37 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MattJ:

Weightlifting will generally get you into stronger, more muscular condition than isometrics (body weight excercises).

[This message has been edited by MattJ (edited 01-04-2005).]
[/QUOTE]

I think the word your looking for is "calisthenics" i.e. push ups, pullups, using your body weight as resistance. Isometrics actually involves using immovable objects as resistance. Anyway, calisthenics are great exercises to develop core musculature! I woud invest in a pair of push up bars, a pull up bar, and a weight vest. Doing pushups CORRECTLY (2-3 seconds on the way down, then push up and flex) as opposed to just doing them aimlessly, will allow you to see the amazing lines on your chest that you cannot achieve through bench pressing alone. The following question may arise: "isnt doing push ups, and doing bench presses, pretty much the same thing?"....."no".

Re: Natural Bodyweight VS Heavy Weights. - 01/30/05 09:42 PM

I've lifted weights on and off for years, and only recently started focusing on bodyweight exercises (ie calisthenics). In terms of maximum gains in minimum time, I significantly prefer the bodyweight exercises. I find it tightens me up rather than puffing me up and gives me more "functional" strength and fitness which can more readily be applied in the dojo.

If packing on muscle mass is your goal, you'll need to do heavier weights.

If muscular endurance is your goal, try a few weeks of bodyweight exercises.

Best of all is a mix of both. Try and see what works best for you.

I'm not a shill for the product and have no affiliation with the site, but I have the HIGHEST regard for the book on bodyweight exercises put out by Ross Enamait via his site rossboxing.com. He charges $30 for the e-book and it's generally regarded as a superior product to the Furey stuff. Check it out if you're interested in more info on bodyweight exercises.

Good luck!

Paul