a question for parents

Posted by: Anonymous

a question for parents - 12/01/04 04:50 AM

this is a question for the parents in the forum.
Im meant to be dropping weight for a series of tournaments in 2 months. I'm not o verweight or anything but I'm 15 and my parents are very likely to freak outif i mention "dieting". Whats a safe way to let my mum know of my change in diet and also what is a good "safe" diet.
at the moment im doing the "eat less, exercise more" approach,and taking vitamins and i tried the "low/ no carb" diet for a while and got very sick so i don't thats a good idea. Also, as im 15, im still growing, so i don't want to wreck my body.
any suggestions?
amy
Posted by: gojuwarrior1

Re: a question for parents - 12/01/04 05:43 AM

do exactly what you are doing now,eat less(actually try to eat 5 small ,healthy meals a day)and exercise more.If you ask me all so called "deits"are unhealthy.Here is one sample of a typical day:morning breakfast-1 bowl of oatmeal one bagal and a whey protien shake.Mid morning snack-whey protien shake.Lunch-turky on wheat bread with mustard,an apple and small bag of sun chips.Mid afternoon snack-some more whey.And then a healthy dinner.

This has worked for me,but remmember every body is diffrent.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: a question for parents - 12/02/04 08:04 PM

I agree, 5-6 small meals a day help keep your metabolism active. The key is keeping close to the natural state of the food, so not over-processed. Also, good intestinal health will aid better absorbtion of vitamins and minerals in your food, therefore healthier bowel movements. Mid morning try natural tub set yohghurt with live cultures such as lactobacillius and acidophilus. Cut up some fresh fruit if you like.
Then the usual, avoid excess fats, additives and SIMPLE carbs (white flours, sugars). The complex carbs (whole grains, legumes) are good for protein absorbtion.
Remember 8-10 glasses of water daily especially after exercise.
Tell your parents you're trying to eat healthy. If they're concerned, share with them how you feel about fad diets and not wanting to wreck your body as it is developing.
They may need reassuring that you're not taking drastic measures to lose weight. It's just because there are a lot of horror stories of teenage eating disorders.
Keep open with them and explain how your eating good food.
Good Luck

[This message has been edited by ariesdragon (edited 12-02-2004).]