getting back into shape

Posted by: Anonymous

getting back into shape - 08/17/04 09:49 AM

Hey all, was wondering if anyone knew a way to increase stamina really really fast. I have been out of the game so to speak for a while and before i go for more training I want to at least get some wind back so i don't go into a dojo and embarass myself . I know running , jumping rope, and speed bag help but i really hate to run . Don't mind lifting weight or heavy bag just hate cardio for some reason. Any ideas?
Posted by: DragonFire1134

Re: getting back into shape - 08/17/04 09:57 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by artos:
Hey all, was wondering if anyone knew a way to increase stamina really really fast. I have been out of the game so to speak for a while and before i go for more training I want to at least get some wind back so i don't go into a dojo and embarass myself . I know running , jumping rope, and speed bag help but i really hate to run . Don't mind lifting weight or heavy bag just hate cardio for some reason. Any ideas? [/QUOTE]

Have you considered cycling? Perhaps get a stationary bike?
Also skipping rope lightly until you work yourself up to going 3 minutes rounds with 1 minute rest periods, the equivalent of a heavyweight boxing match.
Posted by: 1st Round KO

Re: getting back into shape - 08/19/04 08:44 PM

you cant cheat the RUN !!!
love it or hate it...you gotta do it if youre serious about getting into shape.

biking is great, but its not the same as running.
get into it, make it fun by timing yourself and tracking your progress.
youll notice the difference it makes in your MA training once your cardio starts to imrove. im a big believer that running improves technique by giving you hip flexor muscle mass, quad growth, calf strength, abs etc...plus muscular stamina and mental stamina...

ive never met a great martial artist who wasnt also a grea runner.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: getting back into shape - 08/20/04 09:21 AM

ok , ok , point taken . Time to **** it up and just go out and get some running in . Crap man i hate to run . Oh well pain is just weakness leaving the body. Artos
Posted by: DragonFire1134

Re: getting back into shape - 08/20/04 10:13 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by artos:
ok , ok , point taken . Time to **** it up and just go out and get some running in . Crap man i hate to run . Oh well pain is just weakness leaving the body. Artos[/QUOTE]

Running is definately the king of all exercises, but remember this advice:

• It takes about a month before you will notice great improvement in your endurance.

• All the benefits of endurance are lost in about a week if you don't keep it up!

• Start off lightly, work yourself up.

• Running three days a week, 30 minutes at a time is a good, if you can manage it.

• You don't have to run daily, but its best to do cardio training at least 5 days a week.

• Alternate between running, cycling, skipping rope, swimming, any sporting activity which you enjoy (frisbee--basketball--football ect).

• Don't just hit the streets until you drop, pace yourself, keep track of your progress and heartrate, and always, I mean ALWAYS, try to improve on your progress!

And by the way, when you say pain, you don't mean that literally do you? Because if running hurts you, don't do it everyday! Your muscles will need rest. As I mentioned above cardio is best to be done everyday, just switch it up a bit!

Good luck in your training.