How to DIET and RUN?

Posted by: Anonymous

How to DIET and RUN? - 08/06/04 12:49 PM

I have been dieting to get my weight down and running to speed the weight loss and to also increase my cardio abilities for my grappling class. My classes r tu/th/sat, two hours long. By wed or thurs night, I am running out of energy, I feel tired during the day and at night.
Here's my training: Mornings I run 1 mile at 6am (pretty much every morning). On the above listed days I train. I also get about 2 free weight workouts a week. In the morning after my run, I eat one egg. for lunch, I usually eat 1 plate from the salad bar and a chicken breast, evening is usually a small amount of food. I also usually have a cup of milk with whey protein in it during the night.
I want to lose weight, increase cardio, but not be so wore out I can't train by wed or thurs.
Looking for advice from other m/a guys (or girls) who have been through this.
thanks
kell

Re: How to DIET and RUN? - 08/06/04 04:50 PM

In My Kickboxing Class We Do Alot Of Cardio. We Have Normal Classes On Mondays And Wednesdays But On Fridays We Do An Hour Of Cardio, Sure It Makes You Tired But The More You Do It The More You Get Used To The System. In My First Class Of Cardio It Really Felt Like I Was Going To Die, I Couldn't Keep Up With My Classmates. As I Went To Classes I Got Used To It And Could Keep Up With My Classmates. Your Body Builds Up More Energy After Cardio, The Next Class Of Cardio You Would Have More Energy Than The Last Class.

Sorry If You Don't Find This Helping At All.

Re: How to DIET and RUN? - 08/06/04 06:17 PM

KBR, I have been only doing this running regimen for 3 weeks. Im thinking maybe I shud add either a litl more protein in my diet (maybe an xtr egg n the morning) or maybe a piece of whole grain bread. I know its workin cuz Ive lost close to 12 pounds and my "run out of gas" factor has improved greatly.
See, another thing is Im 37 yoa, so I dont have as quick of a recovery time as a younger dude. There is a difference when ur older (not an excuse, I dont need em, lol), in recovery time. BUT, u r right that as the time goes by I am getting stronger. I was grappling with a much bigger guy then me (im 5'9, 200) and b4 he was wearing me out, and worked him into the ground the other night. BOY, that felt good, to see the improvement.
Thanks, for ur help,
kel

Re: How to DIET and RUN? - 08/10/04 12:56 AM

try taking c0q10
its a supplement and it increases blood flow so you wont get tired as fast
Posted by: UKfightfreak

Re: How to DIET and RUN? - 08/10/04 07:07 AM

It sounds like you are not eating enough, or you are doing too much exercise or both.

You shouldn't feel tired in the morning also it sounds like you are not getting enought EFA's or vitamins, you want to get loads of fruit down your neck, certain seeds, nuts etc. such as pumkin seeds are good.

Remember you should only aim to lose about 1% of your body weight per week, with the exercise you are doing and the small amount you are eating you will probably get ill soon and then you will have to take time off to recover.

SLOW DOWN!

Re: How to DIET and RUN? - 08/11/04 10:12 AM

OK, thanx for the help. I'll make sure to eat the fruit and seeds, I'll give the coq10 a try. Is there a rec. daily allowance?
I've upped my intake of calories some...., litl more protein (eggs) and some heavy brown bread (not much bread tho). Plus i've quit running on the days I train, so we'll see. I'm sure I'll see more improvement once I get the blance of food/enrgy/cardio/training correct.
Thanks for the new advice,
we spend most of our time on the mat so it wears my 37 year old ass out. lol
kell

Re: How to DIET and RUN? - 08/15/04 02:14 AM

How Is It Kell.. Did It Work?
Posted by: laf7773

Re: How to DIET and RUN? - 08/15/04 03:58 AM

hunterkell,

Your not taking in enough calories for the amount of exercise your doing. Everyone needs a minimum number of calories each day to sustain bodily functions. If your not getting these calories your body will take what it needs to survive from some place else. Your first thought would be that it will take it from fat, but it's not. With the diet you are on your not maintaining proper blood sugar levels so your body is taking what it needs from your lean muscle. You may be hurting your self more than you are helping. Try either a low carb diet with exercise or find out what your resting metabolic rate (RMR) is and what your daily caloric needs are.

A low carb diet will help you loose weight faster in the beginning and will taper off when you reach the maintenance portion of the diet. Your energy level may suffer in the beginning due to the low level of carbs, about 20 grams per day for 2-3 weeks. In the end you will be eating a more well balanced meal.

Using your RMR and daily caloric needs to loose weight can be a harder diet for some to follow since you have to give so much of the foods you love. Your daily caloric needs will always be more than your RMR. If you are trying to loose weight you will eat less than your daily needs but more than your RMR, to maintain weight you will keep your caloric intake close to your daily needs and so on. Eating 3 meals a day with a snack in between ( 5 small meals total) will help maintain your blood sugar levels so your body will use your fat stores and not take nutrients from the lean muscle.

example: Your RMR is 1739 calories and your daily caloric needs are 2435 calories. To loose weight you must be well below 2435 calories and above 1739, staying in the area of about 1900 calories. This with a good exercise program will help your loose weight properly, provided you maintain your blood sugar levels.

These numbers are only for the example. Your daily needs are more than likely closer to 2950 or so and your RMR may be about 1974. Research some fitness sites on the net or find a personal trainer for just 3-4 sessions, long enough to get a meal plan or advise on what may be best for your situation. Remember one hour of moderate martial arts training burns more calories than an hour of high impact aerobics, about 100 more give or take.

Re: How to DIET and RUN? - 08/16/04 09:35 AM

I was following some of the ideas, less exercize, more fruits, smaller, but more frequent meals. I was losing the weight, increasing my Vo2, etc. and then we had to start getting ready for Hurricane Charley. It came through Bartow, Polk county, Florida, and has really made a mess of the place. I think Charley came right up US-17 and hit my city. We've been working hard since fri night. This is the first real Hurricane I've been through. I've been without power since fri night (and it's now
Monday morning). I've discovered how HOT Florida really is in the summer. Luckily my PD has power (and internet, lol). Our telephone lines are down, and cells are jammed up, so I havent been able to call to see if my Dojo is even standing (quite a few buildings aren't). A neighboring city, Lake Wales, has had to use Orlando, Lakeland, and Tampa SWAT teams because of the looting. But, my family (and that of my wife's) made it through with no injuries or worse, so I feel blessed. I would like a SHOWER tho, lmao.
Kell
Posted by: 1st Round KO

Re: How to DIET and RUN? - 08/19/04 08:51 PM

sounds like youre overtraining if youre tired all the time.
cut down your long runs (if you do long runs)to 3-4/ week. and sub in 2 days of windsprints. i find that a hard anaerobic workout kicks up the metabolism.

im 165lb lean regularly but i fight at 150lb. im not the kind of guy who can lose weight easily bc im lean as it is but on my normal running program and diet i can lose the 15lbs in about 6-8wks.

eat lots of tuna and beans, cut out the enriched, bleached wheats, dont eat anything at least 3 hrs before bed.

Re: How to DIET and RUN? - 09/16/04 10:34 PM

hey kell,
what part of florida are you in? i'm up in pasco county. the more i saw about what charley and frances did, the more thankful i was that all i got was some wind. lot's of people were really freaking out about ivan, though. how's the regimen going? don't be like me and let it slip!
later
tony

Re: How to DIET and RUN? - 09/19/04 09:02 PM

3hrs before bed seems extrme - bfl and weightlifters say 30 mins - 1hr. Your system would mean you have to exercise at the latest, 3.5 hrs before goign to retire for the night. If that's 11:30, you have to stop before 8:00 pm.

I can run about 50km per week without overtraining. I need a ridiculous amount of rest, water and food though. You can't do any more unless you want to throw bagwork, cycling and weights away. I don't think that's a good idea. And yes, I know I should swim.

Re: How to DIET and RUN? - 09/21/04 11:24 AM

When I diet, I sometimes make a protein drink, or make different drinks with celery, fruits, oranges etc... At times, I consume milk twice a day, but I always eat alot of vegetables and eat sparely of chicken breasts and lean meats. I run six miles a day ( sometimes if I'm not tired. ) I workout for more then two hours a day.

Re: How to DIET and RUN? - 09/22/04 01:38 PM

Hi Macncheese, I am from the great city of Bartow, Fl. We were hit really hard by Charley,but, only touched by Frances. I increasd my protein intake, above everything else (and taking the multivitamins, etc). I have dropped down to 185 (from 210 or so). I am only 5'9, so I'm looking to get to 155 or so.
Mark Hill you are right; everything comes with a tradeoff (esp at 37), if I run more, need more recovery time and have to lay off other parts of my training. The good thing is that I am running so much now, 3-4 times a week, 2-3 miles at a time, I am eating a lot and still loosing weight. This amount of mileage is comfortable for me and I am seeing benefits.
Thanks to all for the information, it has really helped,
kell
Posted by: 1st Round KO

Re: How to DIET and RUN? - 09/22/04 07:47 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mark Hill:
3hrs before bed seems extrme - bfl and weightlifters say 30 mins - 1hr. Your system would mean you have to exercise at the latest, 3.5 hrs before goign to retire for the night. If that's 11:30, you have to stop before 8:00 pm.

I can run about 50km per week without overtraining. I need a ridiculous amount of rest, water and food though. You can't do any more unless you want to throw bagwork, cycling and weights away. I don't think that's a good idea. And yes, I know I should swim.
[/QUOTE]

if youre trying to lose weight then 1/2 hr to 1hr before bed is too soon to eat as you will not have fully digested the food and you will have a partially full stomach during a very low metabolic rate ie. sleep, which is counterproductive to weight loss.
body builders may think this is ok bc they want to gain or maintain weight when bulking up. im not an expert, this is just what i do and it works great for me and i have a very difficult time making weight as i am already lean. my dieting is extremely important.

Re: How to DIET and RUN? - 09/22/04 09:58 PM

hey kell,

if you feel like you are eating a lot, then you are probably doing ok now. at first, it sounded like you were on a 500 calorie diet or something. kinda curious about why you want to get down to 155, though. i'm about 5'6 and tipping 170. i feel healthy and want to trim some useless mass, but stay about the same weight. the girls at work think i look good [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG]
later
tony

Re: How to DIET and RUN? - 09/23/04 11:58 AM

Hey Big Mac (lol),
I am going to enlist in the reserves, as such I need to run a couple of miles in around 13 minutes or so, 80 pushups and 80 situps in 2 minutes. When I was running that fast (back in the full-time military days), I was around that weight, so that's what I'm looking for.....
I don't know what you're build is, but, I have a small frame (small joints, etc), and I need to be able to 10 mile walks with heavy rucksacks, so the less of my own weight I am carrying, the easier I can carry the added weight.
You are also right about me going too low on the calorie restriction. That taught me a valuable lesson.
cya,
kell

Re: How to DIET and RUN? - 09/24/04 10:36 PM

my dad was in the marine corps for twelve years. went in at about 150 (5'11") came out at 190, no kidding. within a year, he made it up to 215. ended up carrying the big gun. anyway, lugging the rucksack was easier when he was bigger (muscle is, at least, useful). and as for the timed run, he used to walk most of it just to piss every body off. well, good luck in your training. too bad i'm not closer, or i'd go run with ya.
tony