Sleep Patterns

Posted by: Anonymous

Sleep Patterns - 07/08/04 06:30 AM

Not sure if this is quite the right subforum, but if it needs to be moved, do tell.

Lately, my sleep patterns are out of wack.

Today, 5 pm to ?. Yesterday, roughly 5pm to 5pm, and the list goes in such an order. I ususally get 8 to 12 hours of sleep, but not at the right times, obviously. And many people give me the same answer: Just try to sleep at a decent hour. Which, unfortunately, doesn't work for me.

Medicine is out of the question, as I've had a bad experience with sleeping pills. Anyone have any helpful tips and tricks that might get me back to normal sleeping habits?
Posted by: UKfightfreak

Re: Sleep Patterns - 07/08/04 06:56 AM

Stop any caffine intake - coffee, tea, soft drinks, chocolate - all of it.

If you insist on having some, don't have it after 5 pm.

Do not watch TV, use a PC at least 30 mins even better an hour before bed. You can listen to music as long as its relaxing (so no rock or metal - which rules out most of my CD collection, oh well).

Do some relaxed stretching - I mean relaxed don't push anything.

Finally self hypnosis works well, once you are in bed relax lie flat letting your arms rest to your side, close your eyes and visualise walking down a gentle slope and as you walk down feel yourself getting more and more relaxed, you can be quite inventive, using steps, beaches, fields - any where you feel relaxed at some point lie down on the floor in this visualisation and think about all the muscles starting from your forehead all the way through to your toes - concentrating on each major muscle group on relaxing to avoid tension.

If you get this far and your still awake just roll into your favorite position and visulise lying on a beach with the only thing you need to do is soak up the sun and relaxed - as even if you don't sleep at least your body is getting a rest!

[This message has been edited by UKfightfreak (edited 07-08-2004).]

Re: Sleep Patterns - 07/08/04 07:16 AM

Thanks so much.

Only problem is I have no idea what my favorite sleeping position is, as I ususally pass out before I hit the bed. But I'll remeber it one of these days.

Thanks again, though. Really helpful. You'd think the first half would be rather obvious, but I have a problem with not listening to the suggestions of people I know, and listening more to the suggestions of people that I don't.

And the chocolate part? Pure, unadulterated torture.
Posted by: MikeMartial

Re: Sleep Patterns - 07/08/04 09:35 AM

Odd that this post came up---I was about to post a similar question. I've had sleeping probs for quite some time now, and they have progressively gotten worse

Last night, for the first time, I took a zopiclone, 7.5mg (Imovane). Yup, broke down and went to the doc after 4 sleepnes nights. Gotta say, I feel like a million bucks this morning, but the stigma of having to take a prescription drug makes me a bit uneasy

---tried everything under the sun to help, but the one thing UKFF mentioned was no computer up to an hour prior to bed. I'll have to add that one in, thanks!

If you have any other questions, Karranir, fell free to ask. Chances are I've been through it [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

Re: Sleep Patterns - 07/08/04 10:44 AM

Eating withing several hours of going to sleep can really screw you up too. While you are sleeping your body is wasting energy digesting food instead of whatever else it is supposed to be doing. If you don't believe me try eating a small steak about an hour before going to sleep. You will most likely find that the next morning, even after ten hours of sleep, you feel just as tired as the night before. Oddly enough, going to bed a little bit hungry seems to really help me get a good night's sleep.