A vegetarian diet is what you need...

Posted by: Anonymous

A vegetarian diet is what you need... - 07/01/04 05:15 PM

A vegetarian diet is what you need... If you want to die a slow, painfull death. My Aunt just died of shingles a few weeks ago because she was a veg head. Stay away from this diet and the quacks who push it on us. What do you think? Should vegetarianism be labeled as an eating disorder?

Re: A vegetarian diet is what you need... - 07/01/04 08:23 PM

And once again, all of the above is outright CRAP.

I'm another @#$ herbivore. Since I went vegetarian two years ago, I have not noticed one single problem or negative change in my health, training capacity etc...It is totally possible to live a full and healthy life without ever eating a bite of meat, fish, eggs or drinking dairy. Not everyone wants to go that far (vegan) but it is not impossible, or detrimental to the health. As long as you are aware of the body's fuel needs, and pay attention to how food makes you feel, it's relatively easy to replace animal nutrients in the diet with plant nutrients. The main thing you have to be cautious of is the B vitamins. B12 is absolutely essential to maintaining the nervous system and eyes. It's near impossible to get enough from plant foods- so start drinking soymilk ro taking a supplement. Most of the time, it's already included in veggie burgers, and other soy-based packaged foods. Even so, the body generally has a 3 year supply to use before any serious danger starts. To check facts, go to http://www.vegetarian-diet.info/vegetarian-dietary-guidelines.htm. Why do people think that it's a serious health risk, or impossible ot eat vegetarian while training? Certain societies in India have been totally vegan for thousands of years (getting their B vitamins, believe it or not, from the microscopic egg cases and trails of insects on their fruits and veggies). My sensei and his sensei are both vegans as well.

So, kiddies, once again:

It is TOTALLY POSSIBLE to live a completely healthy life without eating any dead animals. It is not an eating disorder. It is not a mental problem. http://www.vegetarian-diet.info/vegetarian-dietary-guidelines.htm

Educate yourselves, dammit!!
Posted by: Rimrag

Re: A vegetarian diet is what you need... - 07/01/04 09:51 PM

MY experience (have u ever heard of the Okinawan Diet?) has been ABOLITION of RED (MAMMALS') flesh from our diets but using fish and poultry for protein along with Quorn (a protein-containing mushroom) and Soy! This was Osensei's Diet. It's WORKED. Does going from a 203/103 blood pressure to 120/69 mean anything to you? How about getting rid of diabetes and cholesterolemia SIMULTANEOUSLY? The fewest people who adopted my recommended regimen have experienced the SAME blessings of health. Don't question success. Is there an M.D. on this forum?
Posted by: nekogami13 V2.0

Re: A vegetarian diet is what you need... - 07/01/04 10:26 PM

The only problem I have with vegitarians is their cult like behavior.
The constant harassment and preaching they do, attempting to force everyone to convert to their choice of diet.
If it works for you, great-leave me the hell alone! (sorry, just needed to vent)

Re: A vegetarian diet is what you need... - 07/02/04 05:33 AM

I tend not to talk about anyone else's eating habits until they make erroneous claims about mine. Not all vegetarians are "hippier than thou."
Posted by: DragonFire1134

Re: A vegetarian diet is what you need... - 07/02/04 07:12 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by neckbreaker:
Stay away from this diet and the quacks who push it on us. What do you think? Should vegetarianism be labeled as an eating disorder?[/QUOTE]

Should ignorance be considered a mental disorder?

I agree with neko. I'm a meat eater and I love fruits and vegetables. I have no problem with vegetarians, but have seen some people that are are so against killing animals, that they preach and preach the benefits of this diet.
But the comment of a vegetarian diet being unhealthy is just plain ignorant
Posted by: ken harding

Re: A vegetarian diet is what you need... - 07/02/04 07:50 AM

As you'll guess by other posts I am a meat eater.

However, I agree with others here. Being vegetarian is simply choice. You can obtain all the food elements from veggie sources.

You can do it bey not eating red meat.

Even Vegans can though I think this is a little harder it is still possible and not SO difficult.

The most annoying thing is those who push their own dietary predjudices down the throats of others and in my experience, in this PC world, tis oft the veggies that do this (not all of them just the vociferous minority types).

Make your choice and eat as you will.

[This message has been edited by ken harding (edited 07-05-2004).]

Re: A vegetarian diet is what you need... - 07/05/04 08:12 AM

Sorry to hear about your Aunt, Neckbreaker. I disagree with your comment about vegetarianism. I have been vegetarian for over 2 years now and know people who have been vegetarian for over 14 years who still enjoy good health. I think you may need to look at more information on a vegetarian diet before making assumptions that it is unhealthy. I have fewer bouts of illness, have more energy and feel more alert than when I used to eat meat, it even got rid of a kidney stone!
As a vegetarian you are less likely to suffer from bowel cancer, high cholesterol and heart disease etc. Look at the buddhist monks, they live on a vegetarian diet and seem to live a good old age with little or no illness. It is your own choice whether you want to eat meat or not, I choose to be vegetarian but don't believe in preaching to others.
Posted by: laf7773

Re: A vegetarian diet is what you need... - 07/06/04 01:34 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by DragonFire1134:
Should ignorance be considered a mental disorder?

I agree with neko. I'm a meat eater and I love fruits and vegetables. I have no problem with vegetarians, but have seen some people that are are so against killing animals, that they preach and preach the benefits of this diet.
But the comment of a vegetarian diet being unhealthy is just plain ignorant
[/QUOTE]

There is a big difference in ignorance and stupidity. Which one does neck fall into?

Re: A vegetarian diet is what you need... - 07/06/04 04:03 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chanters:
Sorry to hear about your Aunt, Neckbreaker. I disagree with your comment about vegetarianism. I have been vegetarian for over 2 years now and know people who have been vegetarian for over 14 years who still enjoy good health. I think you may need to look at more information on a vegetarian diet before making assumptions that it is unhealthy. I have fewer bouts of illness, have more energy and feel more alert than when I used to eat meat, it even got rid of a kidney stone!
As a vegetarian you are less likely to suffer from bowel cancer, high cholesterol and heart disease etc. Look at the buddhist monks, they live on a vegetarian diet and seem to live a good old age with little or no illness. It is your own choice whether you want to eat meat or not, I choose to be vegetarian but don't believe in preaching to others.
[/QUOTE]

Chanters
As I've said already there are claims and counter claims for each way. I'd agree that no one should lecture anyone else on how to eat but as we are all haveing a merry old session over it I'll take issue with you on a few things.

Long living. Mongol men have lived to rip old ages (reportedly 100+ and still riding horses and able to father children - though i view it with a litle sceptiscism). Main stay of their diet is actually meat and milk along with animal fats and so on.
It may not be quite right to say veggies equal longer life.

In spite of the above fact i have found it is not eating meat but the amount we eat. Meat every day is not something I do. Avery few days feel about right. the reason is I want to make sure my digestive tract gets a resonable time of it. The sluggish feeling for me at any rate comes from too much. Some meat is a great idea.

Re: A vegetarian diet is what you need... - 07/06/04 06:38 AM

Hi Ken!

You make a good point about the Mongol people, I was just trying to tackle the misconception made by Neckbreaker that living on a vegetarian diet leads to a "slow, painfull death" as he suggests. I was emphasizing the fact that people can live healthily on a vegetarian diet.

In addition to what you mentioned about the amount of meat some people eat (which I agree with you on), it's also the chemicals and antibiotics factory farmers pump into the animals which are bred for human consumption which Is partly why I became veggie. I also believe these chemicals may contribute to things such as cancer and other illnesses people suffer with today.

Re: A vegetarian diet is what you need... - 07/06/04 06:58 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by laf7773:
There is a big difference in ignorance and stupidity. Which one does neck fall into?

[/QUOTE]

How big a difference laf7773. Tell us.

Re: A vegetarian diet is what you need... - 07/06/04 07:02 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chanters:
It's also the chemicals and antibiotics factory farmers pump into the animals which are bred for human consumption which Is partly why I became veggie. I also believe these chemicals may contribute to things such as cancer and other illnesses people suffer with today.[/QUOTE]

There is definatly something up with the chemicals they use to nowadays. "Gentically enhanced" has become a popular term recently. They do this treatment to fruits and vegetables as well. And even add chemicals to our water that kill germs. I'm a bit skeptical over the whole damned thing really.

Re: A vegetarian diet is what you need... - 07/06/04 10:51 AM

The Okinawan study is flawed. Those folks they studied are from a small gene pool that simply doesn't have the bad genes of us westerners. That's how all these studies go, one "scientist" decides what result he wants and then he finds the right people to make up some hooey about. Next week another guy does the same with a different group. One day a scientist is going to declare that England has the lowest rate of heart disease compared to Japan and he's going to prove that it is so. What do you learn from this? Nothing! The only proof you need is in my dead aunt!!! You wanna die? Go eat an apple. And by the way, unless you are eating 100% organic fruits and vegetables you are wasting your time, it's likely that your children will be born with sixteen ears.

Re: A vegetarian diet is what you need... - 07/07/04 05:13 AM

The rise in cancers and other causes of death can't be ascribed to veggie for heavens sake.

It is a fact however that food not is different to what it was.

Consider, the average piece of steak contains only just over half the iron that it did in the 50's. Fruit and veg are treated with many chemicals. Thus all food is "contaminated".

Then again we need to eat. I try to get organic food all the time but even this has some level of chemicals in it as the stuff leaches from plant to soil.

Re: A vegetarian diet is what you need... - 07/07/04 03:24 PM

You guys are gonna hate me for this but I am actually a vegetarian. Well, most of the time anyway. I still eat an occaisional Big Mac. My aunt never died. I was just being a jerk. Anyway, I just wanted to clear that up. I believe what I said in the last post though. And honestly, if you ever wondered how many militant vegetarians there were on this board: not many.

Re: A vegetarian diet is what you need... - 07/08/04 09:27 PM

Neckbreaker:

Don't act like a hard-on. What's the point in stirring even more controversy on the forums?

Re: A vegetarian diet is what you need... - 07/09/04 10:18 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ayotl:
Neckbreaker:

Don't act like a hard-on. What's the point in stirring even more controversy on the forums?
[/QUOTE]

It's a long story but it won't happen again.

Re: A vegetarian diet is what you need... - 07/15/04 06:56 AM

Veggie diets can supply all the nutrition you need, but if you want to go so far for your ethics then you'd better be good at mental maths to count all those numbers on the packs!

Personally I prefer eating meat myself. Hell, i was given these canine teeth by my mother and i intend to use em [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG]

Re: A vegetarian diet is what you need... - 07/26/04 08:28 PM

It would seem that your aunt was getting neither brown rice nor sunlight and that the vegan diet is of no benifit to cattle!

Re: A vegetarian diet is what you need... - 08/01/04 12:52 AM

[QUOTE]quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Ayotl:
Neckbreaker:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's a long story but it won't happen again.
[/QUOTE]

I enjoyed the discussion. Stirring stuff up is often good.

[This message has been edited by voodooskillet (edited 08-01-2004).]