Advice on an injured shoulder.

Posted by: Anonymous

Advice on an injured shoulder. - 06/29/04 07:53 PM

I have a problem with my shoulder, sometimes when engaged in anything that involves a throwing motion (pitching a baseball or anything where I have to pull my arm back in that fashion) my shoulder will pop out of socket. I am going to resume training in Kuk Sool Won and want to know if I will be able to work through the pain or if I should get an operation. My Dr advised me that at this point it is still up to me.
Posted by: CanuckMA

Re: Advice on an injured shoulder. - 06/29/04 09:49 PM

'Working through the pain' is one of the most dangerous thing you can do. Sounds like a rotator cuff problem. Did you have a x-ray, MRI and/or ultra-sound done on it?

I would definitally restrict myself to activities that do not induce pain.
Posted by: the504mikey

Re: Advice on an injured shoulder. - 06/30/04 11:31 AM

You need to go see a physical therapist and get a training prgram that will build up the muscles of your rotator cuff so they can do the job that the ligaments in your shoulder are not doing. Otherwise when you start taking falls again the stress on your shoulder will likely cause impingement problems or worse. Almost every bad thing you can do to your shoulder takes about six months to rehabilitate. Save yourself some trouble and get your shoulder in good shape before you really injure it.

I just went through the impingement->pain->muscle tear->rehab cycle, and I can tell you that you would rather skip some of those steps.

Good luck!

[IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]