Trying to get healthier

Posted by: Anonymous

Trying to get healthier - 06/19/04 04:08 AM

Hi all im new to the boards. I always had an intrest in Martial Arts, but didint think think i could ever do it. Im not looking to jump right into it, just get ready for it. Im ruining my life, Terriable eating habbits, im 220 pounds, 5'9 and 15 years old. PLus i have been smoking for the past 4 years, pretty heavily. I read the post earlier about smoking, and im going to try to use that to help me. The other forums i looked at really dont help me because most of the people already are into it. What are some basic exrercises i could start out with on my long road to getting healthy? And whats a good diet i could follow?
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Trying to get healthier - 09/07/04 09:34 AM

I like you have just began training so the things I do to excercise are mostly calastatic such as Shoulder rotates, arm rotates (by every angle like over my head, arms next to my waist, and the traditional way)Leg lifts, waist twist, foreword bends, sit ups, push ups (I rarely do them but you do need them) I walk in the mourning up steep hills for 30 mnis or more and at night I walk around the local track ( not sure how long) I have a Eclipse (one of those runing/bike machines) I do 15 mins on it (if I don't go outside to walk) I tend to work out in the middle of the day to wburn off the first meals of my day. this is what I do it works for me I hope it works for you.
Posted by: schanne

Re: Trying to get healthier - 09/08/04 01:24 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by bahaga:
Hi all im new to the boards. I always had an intrest in Martial Arts, but didint think think i could ever do it. Im not looking to jump right into it, just get ready for it. Im ruining my life, Terriable eating habbits, im 220 pounds, 5'9 and 15 years old. PLus i have been smoking for the past 4 years, pretty heavily. I read the post earlier about smoking, and im going to try to use that to help me. The other forums i looked at really dont help me because most of the people already are into it. What are some basic exrercises i could start out with on my long road to getting healthy? And whats a good diet i could follow?[/QUOTE]

It's been three months, did your eating habitts change and most of all at 15 did you stop smoking. I used to smoke too for 10 years but I finally quite after my Sensei sat me down and told me how stupid I looked and that I would never really be a martial artist at heart if I kept smoking.As usual he was right. DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND QUITE WHILE YOUR YOUNG!
Posted by: laf7773

Re: Trying to get healthier - 09/09/04 12:44 AM

Stop smoking is the first step. There is no need to wait till your in shape to start training. Find a good instructor and start training. One hour of MA training will burn more calories than 1 hr of high impact aerobics. Even if you don't start training now, do something active. At your age you may not need a strict diet. Eat healthier, cut out the McDonalds and some of the other junk food you may be eating often. Your still young and your body is still changing. You should get into the habit of working out now. Just remember in order to loose weight you need to take in less calories than your daily needs and more than your resting metabolic rate. This with exercise will cause you to loose weight. You must eat properly though. Eating 5 smaller meals a day spread out about 3 hours apart will help you maintain your blood sugar levels. You need to maintain your blood sugar levels in order for your body to take nutrients from fat and not lean muscle. Basically if your eating one meal a day while working out you may be getting the calorie levels you need but your hurting yourself in the long run.