Eating a healthy diet?

Posted by: Anonymous

Eating a healthy diet? - 05/09/04 06:10 PM

Could anyone give some tips on eating better. I have just started Martial arts training (Hapkido) and are interested is foods that will help me. I have been an avid skateboarder for years so my legs are in shape, but I could use all the help I can get.

http://sbstore.sales.mpoinfo.net
Posted by: MikeMartial

Re: Eating a healthy diet? - 05/09/04 10:22 PM

Go with multiple smaller meals a day---talking 5-6 meals, versus the traditional 3 squaure meals Mom used to make. Make sure your getting enough complex carbs and protien; Try and stay away from simple sugars and processed foods.
Think: Chicken, steak, fish, any fruits or vegtables, pasta, rice. Thses should be your staples.
Don't get too sucked into the "High protien low carb deal". Essentially, it works, because it forces people to pick healther foods----lean meats and veggies. But you still need your carbs or you'll gas out if your serious about being a martial artist.
Whey protien.....if your pressed for time, and can afford it, buy it. I use it all the time, especially post workout. It's a great time-saver, and a quick source of protien. But don't think you need it, by any means.

Re: Eating a healthy diet? - 05/10/04 05:57 PM

thanks you have been a great help.
Posted by: immrtldragon

Re: Eating a healthy diet? - 05/11/04 04:52 PM

I just posted this same thing on a post in the strengthening section:

Fruits, vegetables, and whole grains contain good carbs that the body needs. Eat lots of them. Protein is important but the amount you need is debatable...either way, the source should be white meats or (even better) fish. Fats in limited portions from healthy oils (vegetable oil, peanut butter, etc).

A good snack is a sandwich with WHOLE WHEAT bread, banana slice (or apple), and natural peanut butter (not skippy, jiff, etc., they contain added sugar...your supermarket should have all natural PB for about the same price in the same aisle). Eat this as a snack or for breakfast with a glass of skim milk.

If you buy wheat bread, be sure the package says 100% WHOLE wheat.

Another good one is WHOLE wheat pasta with tomato sauce, and put a can of drained tuna in there with the sauce. It doesn't even taste like tuna when it's all together.

Anyone else got easy, quick snack ideas to share. It's always good to have variety.

Re: Eating a healthy diet? - 05/11/04 06:13 PM

thanks you guys you have help me alot
Posted by: ken harding

Re: Eating a healthy diet? - 05/14/04 04:40 AM

Awwwwwwwww no one says you can have steak and eggs any more but as I love it......I will recomment it as the perfect breakfast

[IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG]