a halthy way to lose weight?

Posted by: the lone swordsmen

a halthy way to lose weight? - 04/27/04 06:51 PM

a little info
i'm 5'8
220 pounds and looking to reach maybe 180 or 170 and i want to know if theres anything besides the ackins dite or counting carbs. i'm also inchrested into medatashone ( sorry about the speeling )
and ways to gain mucle mass/tone
Posted by: CanuckMA

Re: a halthy way to lose weight? - 04/27/04 10:39 PM

The math of weight loss is way too simple. Forget the fad diets. The human body is homnivorous. It requires nutrition from all food groups. The body needs a certain amount of energy to function. That energy is counted in calories. If you ingest more calories than you use, the excess calories are stored away for later, as fat. Just ingest less than you expand.
Posted by: UKfightfreak

Re: a halthy way to lose weight? - 04/30/04 01:23 PM

Try not to lose more than 1% of your bodyweight per week - more than this can be counter-productive in the long run (more than 1% results in loss of lean muscle tissue).
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: a halthy way to lose weight? - 05/21/04 09:21 AM

you need to take in less calories then you expend just like canuck said, you would also need to start doing "slow cardio" for about 60min a session maby 4 times a week. you can run,bike,swim,etc.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: a halthy way to lose weight? - 05/22/04 09:00 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by the lone swordsmen:
a little info
i'm 5'8
220 pounds and looking to reach maybe 180 or 170 and i want to know if theres anything besides the ackins dite or counting carbs. i'm also inchrested into medatashone ( sorry about the speeling )
and ways to gain mucle mass/tone
[/QUOTE]

dude i have a problem ganing wieght, i am 20 5'8 and i wieght a solid 147 with 13% body fat. look into bodybuilding, not saying you are going to look like the mucsle freaks but, they know the best diets and tranning even for fighting check out www.houseofpain.com and www.bodybuilding.com there is a lot of info at these to site, good luck and i hope you find what you are looking for.

Re: a halthy way to lose weight? - 05/24/04 06:52 AM

A good tip I came across recently, when eating a meal take a mouthful, put your knife and fork down chew and enjoy the food, swallow then pick up your knife and fork again and repeat.

This should give your stomach enought time to communicate with your brain, as soon as you feel full stop eating whether it looks like you have a full plate or whether there is one mouthful left.

This way you will eat what you need to eat without having to change your diet too drastically - healthy living of course is advised, but 90% of the obese people I know don't over indulge on junk food - they just eat too much normally because they have been bought up to beleive that they should finish everything on the plate even if you don't want it!
Posted by: Rimrag

Re: a halthy way to lose weight? - 05/24/04 12:20 PM

Take it from an old guy who's lost 70 lbs in 4 months. The ONLY way is to stop the murder. NO MORE FLESH OF MAMMALS including no more beef, pork, veal ETC. Anything that roams the earth on all fours is forbidden. Poultry and fish is PERMITTED. We are TOO CLOSE to cows and other mammals in evolutionary terms to be justified in eating them. From the hunter to the purchaser to the cook to the eater; ALL share in the guilt for consuming our UNevolved brethren. Mammals are not stupid. They KNOW what's going to happen at the slaughterhouse. The terror they feel, the violence they experience, the curses they rain down on consumers translate themselves into all the diseases of humanity and certainly obesity. A no mammal-flesh diet (and NO concentrated and empty calories) worked for me; it'll work for you.

Re: a halthy way to lose weight? - 05/25/04 07:48 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rimrag:
Take it from an old guy who's lost 70 lbs in 4 months. The ONLY way is to stop the murder. NO MORE FLESH OF MAMMALS including no more beef, pork, veal ETC. Anything that roams the earth on all fours is forbidden. Poultry and fish is PERMITTED. We are TOO CLOSE to cows and other mammals in evolutionary terms to be justified in eating them. From the hunter to the purchaser to the cook to the eater; ALL share in the guilt for consuming our UNevolved brethren. Mammals are not stupid. They KNOW what's going to happen at the slaughterhouse. The terror they feel, the violence they experience, the curses they rain down on consumers translate themselves into all the diseases of humanity and certainly obesity. A no mammal-flesh diet (and NO concentrated and empty calories) worked for me; it'll work for you.[/QUOTE]

I think this is a lifestyle choice - if you want to do it fine.

From a weight loss point of view, most people tend to overdo Carbs in their meals and generally eat portions that are too large.

Either that or sugary foods and snacks are sometimes to blame.

Also I know a lot of fat vegitarians and a few fat vegans. So I don't think whether you are a meat eater or not will determine weight loss.

Although as an aside red meat in large quantities is not good as it is difficult to digest - it is especially bad if it is processed. So no Hamburgers! But I don't think cutting them out is a key to weight loss.
Posted by: sunspots

Re: a halthy way to lose weight? - 05/25/04 04:09 PM

What has worked for me so far: (Doctor approved)

Eat nothing with more than 5 grams of fat per serving.

Always eat slowly and sitting down.

When (if) you eat meat, make it as lean as you can.

3-5 servings of vegetables a day.

Plenty of water

I have done well with making and eating a lot of broth-based soups. (No "cream of" whatever)
You can get a lot of veggies in it, fulfilling that aspect, the hot liquids seem to satisfy you quicker, and you can control the amount of fat, salt, etc.

As for exercise, I train 3 days/week in the dojo, and walk, or lift weights on the off days along with practicing technique.

For what it's worth...
Posted by: Animefoo

Re: a halthy way to lose weight? - 05/04/05 07:53 PM

I tried the "Abs Diet" from Men's Health. You basicaly eat about 5 times a day, so you don't feel starved. There are 12 "power foods" groups that you use. You have at least 2 power foods at each meal, and it's pretty well balanced. I lost 50lbs over 3 months, even though I'm constanly eating. You also get 1 meal a week where you can eat whatever you want. Exercise is a must though. You can get the information for free from www.menshealth.com, or you can buy the book, but you're getting the same info; just repackaged. I wouldn't really call this a diet, but more of "lifestyle". Being one that never stuck to anything, I found it very easy to stick to. Hope this helps.
Posted by: Inuyasha

Re: a halthy way to lose weight? - 05/05/05 07:51 PM

well its simple: daily intake + weight - calories/weight burn off = Your weight.

You should try cardio. Try skipping 10 mins and then run for 10 and skip for 5 min and run for 5.

That will help the fat burn......
Posted by: RedBaron29

Re: a halthy way to lose weight? - 05/16/05 04:42 PM

for me i could never change my diet forcefully, only if i want to, and that can't happen, occasionally ill skip the super size on the fries, but most of the time, i love to eat.
it has to be a lifestyle change, start running, and lifting weights. physical activity is the way to go, and man if you want that six pack of abs, it doesn't matter how many crunches you do, until you lose all the fat on top, those abs will never show even if you can do 300 citups without resting with a 50 pound weight on your chest.
Posted by: nekogami13 V2.0

Re: a halthy way to lose weight? - 05/16/05 05:39 PM

My advise-forget about your weight.
Focus instead on what your weight is composed of.
Muscle weighs more than fat.
If you begin a weightlifting/exercise program, you may initialy not lose any weight and may even gain some.

Make small changes to your diet as you go, this will keep you from feeling deprived and bingeing on junk.

Stay away from atkins and no carb diets-there are health issues associated with those.

Remember the most important factor of anyones build-genetics.
Posted by: Dereck

Re: a halthy way to lose weight? - 05/16/05 05:47 PM

From my personal experience, the first thing I did was cut back on desserts. I used to have something sweet to eat at lunch, when I got home from work, with supper and at night.

Then I would suggest eating 5 to 6 meals a day. If you break up just what you are eating now into 5 to 6 equal meals, that alone will help you reduce your weight. Just think if you also reduced what you are eating.

Next I would take up something like running or jumping rope. You don't have to go overboard unless you want to. Three times a week for 20 minutes at a time is sufficient enought.

You could also lift weights. I'm 5'8.25" and at the age of 28 I was 193 lbs when 2 years previous I was between 155-165 lbs and in good shape. With just dropping the sweets to once a day, and weight lifting, I went to 165 lbs and was stronger and in better shape then ever (4 to 6 months). Then after heavy lifting for mass and strength I got back up to around 200-210 lbs of good weight(age 34). Now at age 36 and weight lifting and Taekwondo I'm around 191-197 lbs.

I then incorporated the 5 to 6 meals a day which I've passed on to other people who have seen the benefit as well without weight lifting. Plus now doing cardio such as running and skipping rope, I can focus on burning off any extra fat ... which is my next goal to looked toned and ripped.