proper diet

Posted by: fighterguy

proper diet - 03/04/04 11:23 AM

i was just wondering if what i am eating is alright. First know that i got to fight class about 4-5 times a week each for about an hour to an hour and a half as well as go to the gym 2-3 times a week for about the same amount of time. since i moved to college about a month ago i have not been eating very much. this is an average day:

breakfast-nothing (never any time)

lunch-protein shake, apple or orange, and a multi vitamin

dinner- soup or salad pasta or some sort of meat, vegetables or fruit, lemonade, and a cookie.

i guess my question is will this sufficient enough for me to gain muscle and stay healthy and in shape. I dont know if this hepls but im 19 5,9 and about 165. But i would not mind being about 150 so i can get that six pack.
Posted by: MikeMartial

Re: proper diet - 03/07/04 12:35 PM

Sounds like you aren't coming even close to what you need; your caloric expendature versus intake is way off. Yes, your burning more calories than what you are taking in, but your body will be in "super-save" mode because you are overtraining.

Some tips:
1) Eat breakfast. This is probably the best thing you could start doing. Yes, I know it sounds like Mom's advice, but it kick-starts your metabolism for the day. Go complex carb/protien. My fav is oatmeal with vanilla protien powder.
2) Eat frequently. This serves two purposes; keep your metabolism reved up, and keep your body fed. You have an intense workout schedule, and your body *NEEDS* fuel.
3) make sure you have fuel prior to your workouts, so you don't gas out before your done. More importantly, down a protien shake RIGHT after workout out; this is when your body will utilize the nutrients to the most effect. Personally, I go with skim milk, a few scoops of high-quality whey protien (vanilla), a banana, and some peanut butter.
Posted by: joesixpack

Re: proper diet - 03/07/04 02:05 PM

Dude, eat breakfast.

mikemartial has it, but see a dietiican or nutritonist. They go to college for a reason.
Posted by: UKfightfreak

Re: proper diet - 03/08/04 06:05 AM

If you are training on that - I'm suprised you are still standing at the end of the day.

Also with a diet like that you will lose muscle mass (muscle needs more calories than fat - that's why a body builder will eat 5000 calories a day and not put an ounce of fat on).

So to cut a long story short, it's not healthy, you have no chance of gaining muscle mass and it will probably make you ill.

Listen to MikeMartial on this one.

If you have a calorie defeciet before exercise of more than around 300 calories, your body will go into starvation mode and conserve fat more efficiently - so all your effort will be for nothing.

Those 15 lbs didn't go on in a week or two, and they won't come off in a week or two!