finger not healing

Posted by: ajmolnar

finger not healing - 01/21/04 02:36 AM

i somehow managed to jam my finger almost two months ago. i wore a splint on it for about the first three weeks. my finger still has not correctly healed. One side protrudes out horribly. It hurts severly when it is moved in certain positions. Does anyone know whether or not the protrusion can be corrected and when or if the pain will stop anytime soon.
Posted by: UKfightfreak

Re: finger not healing - 01/21/04 05:55 AM

I would speak to your doctor about it - but I'm afraid due to the nature of bone structure in the hand, it often never heals properly - or at least it doesn't heal to what it once was.
Posted by: John316

Re: finger not healing - 04/29/04 03:30 AM

hey, i dislocated my finger a while back, the doctor was useless and said it was fine, maybe you've done that. took ages too fully heal.
Posted by: ken harding

Re: finger not healing - 05/04/04 08:04 AM

I broke a finger approx six months ago. They take bloody ages (it is not my first finger cruch as I dislocated a thumb in free fighting about 2 months before).

My rule of thumb is about 6 months for the dislocation of fingers/thumbs and about a year for broken ones before one gets full mobility etc back again.

I do loads of finger exercises/physio but this seems to be the fastest that my aged digits can heal.

You didn't say which finger and which joint on the finger. If it is the middle joint of the finger and it is still swollen I would gues you broke it. There is a tendon which attaches on the underside which, when the finger gets bent back spearates partially from the bone, lifting a little sliver of it off. I have some lovely Xrays of one of these.
I'd go visit A & E and gets it looked at. Bypass the docs and get yourself in a fracture clinic. Presume you don't have medical insurance or you could just do it privately