Gaining weight

Posted by: Anonymous

Gaining weight - 07/03/03 12:44 PM

Does anyone have any sensible advice on gaining weight in a safe manner.

I am 39 years old, fairly fit, very active and almost 5ft 8 tall. I really struggle to keep my weight above 9 stone (126 pounds)

Thanks in advance
Sharon
Posted by: Mykool

Re: Gaining weight - 07/03/03 07:25 PM

Hi,

I went for a job interview a couple of months ago as a bouncer (doorman) and was told by the guys that even though I was already 80kg, I should try to put on a few more kilograms to 'look big', as most people have trouble beleiving I weigh this much as it is (I'm fairly lean, so I look thin-ish). The advice they all gave me was 'eat heaps of Carbs, and lift weights'. They also advised me quite, um, STRONGLY, to avoid any steroid based weight gain substances.

So I will pass this sagely advice onto you:
Eat heaps of carbs and lift weights.

Oh yeah, make sure you still do cardio work or the weight will have a tendancy to accumulate around your tummy, like it did with me.

Good luck with it, too!

Later,
Michael
Posted by: UKfightfreak

Re: Gaining weight - 07/04/03 06:35 AM

I think an option is to weight train, other than the benefits of extra strength you should gain a little weight. A programme should consist of compound exercises such as squats, deadlifts etc.

To be honest I wouldn't worry too much unless you feel tired, fatigued etc. If so examine your diet, if you want to gain weight through food make sure its wholesome - what ever it is! Lots of milk and dairy will put a lot of safe weight on but I would recommend a lecithin supplement in the diet to combat potential cholestorol problems from, for example too many e.g. eggs

Other than that upping the carbs will help gain weight - but not too many, you will know you limit by how you feel after a meal, if you feel sleepy you have had too many carbs for your body to handle - if you feel hungry you probably haven't had enough.

Re: Gaining weight - 07/04/03 09:22 AM

Thanks for the advice.

My diet already contains lots of carbs but I think the weight training is a good idea.
I will also think about the supplement UKFF suggests.
Thanks again
Sharon
Posted by: Fighting Dwarf

Re: Gaining weight - 07/04/03 02:37 PM

Eating lots of chocolate worked for me... of course, I didn't actually WANT to gain any weight...

...um, on second thoughts, maybe that's not such a good idea...

[IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG]

-Charlie
Posted by: Ed Glasheen

Re: Gaining weight - 07/04/03 03:57 PM

Why do you want to gain weight? You sound like you are in great shape. Anyway Two kinds of weight. Fat unhealthy weight or muscle healthy weight. Bottom line lift weights, heavy, about 80% of your max. Gain muscle mass weight. I will have a great weight lifting program in July's training page of my web site. It will be ready around the middle of the month. Check it out. Ed www.lonewolfjujutsu.com

Re: Gaining weight - 07/04/03 05:22 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ed Glasheen:
Why do you want to gain weight? [/QUOTE]

Ed, I would like to give some really good answer to do with martial arts, but truthfully, it is sheer vanity. I just think it looks nicer to have a few curves.

I will check out your website.
Sharon

Re: Gaining weight - 07/05/03 07:51 AM

Cool, then lift weights. Do not woory about getting too big. You wont unless you take steriods. But building lean muscles will will give you the curves you are looking for.You will see results in about 6 weeks with a good plan.But you have to lift heavier than most people suggest. Say your max weight on a exercise is 100lbs.Then lift only 60-80 % of this. Say your first set is 60 lbs and your last set is 80 lbs.Keep your reps no more than 8. Most people think that women should do 15 reps for sculpting. But this is a common mistake. Suppliment your diet with extra protien. ie MET-RX shakes And try to eat 6 small meals a day.You can find alot of information at bodybuilding world. It is a great site! I have on my links page. Besides getting stronger you will loook great. Hopfully you will like lifting.It is a great sport. Its great for your bones too. Prevents calcium loss.Ed
Posted by: Ender

Re: Gaining weight - 07/06/03 10:46 AM

I agree with Ed.

Another excellent protein supplement is a product called "Whey" protein. It's what I use, and it is supposed to be the best on the market.

Also, eat lots of meat, there are certain amino acids present ONLY in meat, and even supplements (as far as I know) cannot provide these, so to get full ebenfits, eat lots of meat.

Re: Gaining weight - 07/06/03 05:14 PM

All the supplements are good but weight can be gained without the use of them. I gained 7 kilos of muscle in 6 weeks with no drugs or supplements - just normal food.

Re: Gaining weight - 07/16/03 10:38 AM

Most of all the protien out there has whey in it. Wadowomen I have a weight training program posted on my web site that may help you Ed. www.lonewolfjujutsu.com
Posted by: ChangLab

Re: Gaining weight - 07/17/03 10:25 AM

if it's safe to, eat lotsa steak!
if it's available try to eat organic foods
brocoli and plenty of protien
red meat is good but it does contain alot of fat building properties, so, try to balance it with chicken, pork, but try to eat meat at least 2 times a day

Re: Gaining weight - 08/07/03 04:37 PM

Thanks for all the advice
Sharon [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

Re: Gaining weight - 08/08/03 03:04 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ChangLab:
if it's safe to, eat lotsa steak!
if it's available try to eat organic foods
brocoli and plenty of protien
red meat is good but it does contain alot of fat building properties, so, try to balance it with chicken, pork, but try to eat meat at least 2 times a day
[/QUOTE]

Steak has its merits but it is drastically difficult to digest - I wouldn't personnally go for more than two portions per week.

Although I agree with trying to eat meat twice a day, or if not load up on dairy stuff (if you are ok with it) so plenty of milk, eggs and cheese.
Posted by: ishinnick

Re: Gaining weight - 08/25/03 10:09 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by wadowoman:
Does anyone have any sensible advice on gaining weight in a safe manner.

I am 39 years old, fairly fit, very active and almost 5ft 8 tall. I really struggle to keep my weight above 9 stone (126 pounds)

Thanks in advance
Sharon
[/QUOTE]

You just got married Sharon, that is a good start to gaining weight !! It works for most people anyway !

Cheers
Nick