Hurt Thumb

Posted by: Ellewoods2001

Hurt Thumb - 06/20/03 01:55 PM

Hi, I don't do martial arts, but I was interested and that is why I'm at this website. I have a question for anyone who knows anything about medical treatment... a few months ago, I hurt my thumb playing softball... it turned a dark shade of purple right above the joint, and there was some swelling. I'm not sure exactly what was wrong with it but the bone wasn't chipped or anything, and whenever I bent it there was no pain, but when I lightly gripped onto something I felt pain on the opposite side (where you take finger prints). It healed, but about a month ago I fell on it while going full speed down hill on a scooter... the bone doesn't hurt, but whenever I touch something, it feels like an explosion or something inside my thumb... it doesn't hurt very much at all, but I think it's strange and there is probably something wrong. I would very much appreciate it if anyone had any thoughts on what may be wrong.
Posted by: JohnL

Re: Hurt Thumb - 06/20/03 02:51 PM

See a doctor!
Posted by: madhag

Re: Hurt Thumb - 06/24/03 11:39 AM

yep, i'd take john's recommendation

i jammed my thumb badly in sparring. it hurted for at least 6 months afterwards. it healed when i stopped putting pressure on it altogether. i still turn the ignition with my left hand. that sucker takes a while to heal.
if you don't want to see a doc, don't use it for a few months.