diet recommendation

Posted by: benlrivera

diet recommendation - 06/17/03 11:15 AM

Hello all, I am new to this forum & new to MA. I have been training for almost a year now, but I have just started to increase my training to more than one to two days a week to four to five days a week. I seem to be alot more tired. I would love some diet recommedation that will help with my engery levels.
Posted by: UKfightfreak

Re: diet recommendation - 06/17/03 04:43 PM

What are your routines, order of routines and when do you do them?

As nutrition is only a part of the puzzle.

Re: diet recommendation - 06/17/03 05:39 PM

Thanks UKfightfreak for responding.

What are your routines?
Mon, wed, fri evening group class for a 1/2 hr
Tue & Thur afternoon group class for a 1/2 hr.
Tue evening private class for a 1/2 hr.
Posted by: jubycrazi

Re: diet recommendation - 06/17/03 06:29 PM

First let me say hello, and that I am Bens wife.
Second you should know a little bit about his eating habits: Ben is a very picky eater, so it is very hard to cook nutritional meals for him. He doesn't like vegitables, or fish. He likes pasta, but the only sauce he likes is red sauce. So as you can see Ben is nutritionly challenged, any suggestions would be appreaciated.
Thanks
Posted by: UKfightfreak

Re: diet recommendation - 06/18/03 03:58 AM

Right OK, I'm no nutritionalist but the info I give is from reliable sources (and I can reference most of them if needed) and I have chrone's disease so I have to be aware of nutrition, so:

If you won't eat veg, you will have to up the fruit - be that juice or actual fruit. If you are worried take a general vit supplement.

Make sure you have breakfast, its always good to get a balance so it might be worth having say - toast and a boiled egg (if you are worried about cholestoral - take a lecithin supplement).

Make sure you don't have too many carbs in your diet, for someone training (it's a little different if you are less active) try a 50% Carbs, 30% protien, 20% fat (I will double check these figures but that sounds right off the top of my head) Remember the fat has got to be good - no hydroginated fats (sometimes called trans fats) and no saturated fat - so try and stick to olive oils etc.

Now, not too many carbs - for two reasons, one, carbs make you fat and two, if you feel sleepy after a meal - it's probably because you have too many carbs in. Also it's better to have carbs after workouts rather than before - as during training fat will be burnt as energy, after the carbs will replenish glycogon stores.

Protein, don't overload on red meat as its hard to digest and will sit in the gut (maybe one portion a week). Chicken is good (not fried) and other meats. Protien are like building blocks, but you still need the cement and water (the carbs and fat) to rebuild.

For fats - try cooking etc. with olive oil - its great. Try and avoid margarines if poss as they contain trans fats.

Dairy - now some say don't have too much dairy which I can go with, but they are an important source of calcium and protien as well as a ruck of other nutrients.

Ok,as for being picky about food you have two options:

1. Not get anywhere with your training and carry on feeling tired and probably end up quiting because you feel so bad.

or

2. Bite the bullet and get eating - if any one normally says to me 'I don't like fish' I say what fish? They all taste so different, then how many different ways have you tried it - poached tastes different to fried - a lemon sauce is different from parsley and scampi, cod, plaice, tuna all taste very different. (good example I hated spag bol for years, then cooked it myself and realised what a few extra ingredients can do - try different recipies there is a whole world of food out there that you are missing out on!!).

As an alternative you could spend a lot of money on supplements that will provide you will nutrients (that you could get from a normal diet).

If I were you I would invest in a book or go and see a nutritionalist, I would try boods from http://www.stadion.com/

Hope this helps.

Re: diet recommendation - 06/18/03 10:07 AM

UKfightfreak,

Thanks again for all the great information. I will try some of your suggestion.
Posted by: Ed Glasheen

Re: diet recommendation - 06/22/03 12:52 PM

How old are you and what do you normaly eat?
Posted by: Ender

Re: diet recommendation - 06/22/03 02:35 PM

Ed, did you even read the above posts? The man just explained what he eats regularly (or am I ctazy).

No offense intended, Im just wondering.

Re: diet recommendation - 06/22/03 11:09 PM

Yes, did you? benrivera had the question. If he wants help I need more specific information. Like what is his sugar intake. What kinds of carbs does he eat and when. Does he know the difference between good carbs and bad carbs?Ect Ect. I have been training for along time. Maybe he is tired because he is having a reaction to a certain food.When dealing with nutrition, if you are serious, you have to be as specific as possible. Ed

Re: diet recommendation - 06/22/03 11:15 PM

Ok I missed the wife. Sounds like he eats 1 or 2 big meals a day. Correct me if I am wrong.What is his work schedule? Your training schedule isn't that heavy. Do you have low iron? Do you take vitamins. Help me to help you. Give me the details Mrs. Ben. Ed.

Re: diet recommendation - 07/02/03 04:28 PM

Ed, thanks for the replies. Here are answers to some of your questions:

1. Sounds like he eats 1 or 2 big meals a day.
Ans. That is correct. I am trying to snack on more fruits through out the day. i.e. bananas, grapes, apples, oranges, plums...

2. What is his work schedule?
Ans. I work moday - friday 7am - 4pm. (Sit behind a computer most of the day)

3. Do you have low iron? Do you take vitamins.
Ans. I don't know if I have low iron. The doctor has never said anything to me about low iron. As for vitamins, I take centrum everyday.

I have tried to do some research on diet and have not found an easy way to tell if I am getting the right balance of calories from the food groups.

Thanks again for all of your help.

Re: diet recommendation - 07/04/03 08:13 AM

I am away on business right now. When I get back I will e-mail you with some ideas. To start you are eating way too few meals. Your tiredness may be do to your lack of energy stores. Try to eat small meals tru out the day. Between 5-6. I know this is hard,but prepare your meal ahead of time and take them to work with you. Tubberware.
Stay away from soda and sugar. Sugar will spike your insuline levels and then you will crash. Soda will also make you tired. Drink lots of water.When you go on a break try to get outside and get some sunlight. Office lighting gets me tired. Right before training,1 hour to 30mins eat something. ie penut butter and jelly sandwich. This should help you maintain energy levels. I will e-mail you more complete ideas later Ed.