jammed fingers

Posted by: hopkidoted

jammed fingers - 03/29/03 07:46 PM

I jammed my thumb over a month ago and still experience pain when bending it to make a fist. Does anyone have some ideas of what I might do to help this along. I have tried accupuncture and an herbal tonic with no noticable results.

Thanks.
Posted by: UKfightfreak

Re: jammed fingers - 03/30/03 09:43 AM

It might be an idea to use a ball to squash (a really easy going one).

And also get an elastic band between your fingers and thumb so your finger is pushing backwards might be an idea.

Worth a try.
Posted by: ishinnick

Re: jammed fingers - 03/30/03 03:05 PM

I have had the same problem dragging on for months now, one thumb and two fingers (other hand) I have also tried different tonics such as dit da jow to no avail. No help to you I'm afraid, but maybe someone come come up with some ideas.
Posted by: mikelw

Re: jammed fingers - 04/01/03 11:19 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ishinnick:
I have had the same problem dragging on for months now, one thumb and two fingers (other hand) I have also tried different tonics such as dit da jow to no avail. No help to you I'm afraid, but maybe someone come come up with some ideas.[/QUOTE]

Ice it.
Posted by: JohnL

Re: jammed fingers - 04/07/03 12:22 PM

If you did it a month ago, icing it would have no effect. It requires immediate icing on sustaining the injury.

If it hasn't healed after a month I'm afraid you're in for a long wait until you can fully use this digit again.

Welcome to the club. This is an injury all martial artists must have had.

The rehab suggestions by UKfight freak were good. The only other suggestion I have is to protect it so you don't continually tweak the injury which will extend the recovery time even more.

Good luck. (Hurts like a bitch, doesn't it!)
Posted by: mikelw

Re: jammed fingers - 04/07/03 01:01 PM

I've never had a jammed finger, but my toes have really taken a beating (the big toe mostly). Ever had a front kick blocked by someone's palmheel against your toes???? OUCH! Ever dragged your toe while practicing kicks?? Yes, it all hurts really realy bad~!!!!!!! However, i've noticed that if i don't re-injure the joint, it begins to feel better after several months. Good luck all.
Posted by: Jamoni

Re: jammed fingers - 04/07/03 04:22 PM

My personal favorite was trying a wrestling shoot during hapkido. It was picture perfect: I stepped with my front foot, shot in on the guys legs, and dragged my back foot quickly into place. Barefoot. Instep down. Yanking every hair off of my foot, and leaving it an ugly hairless blister. I've since learned, when shooting without shoes, to drag the SIDE of my foot.
Posted by: hopkidoted

Re: jammed fingers - 04/09/03 10:48 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by UKfightfreak:
It might be an idea to use a ball to squash (a really easy going one).

And also get an elastic band between your fingers and thumb so your finger is pushing backwards might be an idea.

Worth a try.
[/QUOTE]

The squash ball seems to help the other fingers in am having problems with (both ring fingers) but need a little more instruction on the elastic band idea.

Thanks to all for the ideas.
Posted by: CinciTKD

Re: jammed fingers - 05/22/03 05:35 AM

I jammed my index finger and the thing swelled up and was a general pain in the arse for awhile. It took a couple months before it felt right again.

Re: jammed fingers - 05/22/03 07:11 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by CinciTKD:
I jammed my index finger and the thing swelled up and was a general pain in the arse for awhile. It took a couple months before it felt right again.[/QUOTE]

And just what was your index finger doing in your arse? [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

Apologies to all forum members. I just had to get this in (No pun) before someone else responded.

JohnL

Re: jammed fingers - 05/22/03 07:12 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JohnL:
And just what was your index finger doing in your arse? [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

Also, was it your finger or arse that felt better after 2 months? [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG]

Apologies to all forum members. I just had to get this in (No pun) before someone else responded.

JohnL

[/QUOTE]