Losing Weight

Posted by: USTCtkd

Losing Weight - 01/23/03 05:31 PM

Help! Trying to lose some stubborn pounds. I have been actively training 4X week in Taekwondo and attending Cardio Kickboxing 1 to 2 X week. Eating properly, can't lose stubborn last 10 pounds any ideas?
Posted by: TheWayToGod

Re: Losing Weight - 01/28/03 08:58 PM

I've found out that a low carb diet works great, something like Dr.Atkins diet plan is great, with a good workout routine, you can lose the weight easily. and won't harm your body like pills and other junk, give it a try and email if it works good for you, for the first two weeks you can only eat meat, cheese, and eggs, sounds boring but, it works me and serval friends use the dr.atkins plan and have no complaints at all.
Posted by: bulletproofalice

Re: Losing Weight - 02/14/03 03:07 PM

I've heard very mixed reports about the Atkins Diet. While "celebs" like Geri Halliwell think its brill, the medical, nutritional and sports communities take a very dim view of it. It really messes up your metabolism, and, in the worst cases, can induce diabetes and other permanant illnesses.

If you want to lose that little bit of extra weight, try going vegetarian or dropping your alcohol intake. Neither of these are very sociable options, but they do work, and without doing long-term damage to your health.

hope this helps

BPA
Posted by: UKfightfreak

Re: Losing Weight - 03/03/03 10:11 AM

Make sure your carb, protien, fat ratios are correct. If you are hungry within four hours of a meal your ratios of carb, protien and fat are incorrect.

If you struggle to get up in the morning, or ache after workouts you are probably overtraining which will effect your body's ability to digest fat.

Also, don't carb up before training, i.e. DO NOT eat carbs at least 30 mins before training. This will ensure that energy burnt in your workouts is from fat and not carbs.

Although I am no fan of the atkins diet examining carb intake is important, a good pointer is if you feel sleepy after a meal - you have consumed to many carbs for your body to handle (this results in excess release of insulin that turns these carbs straight into fat).

Also beware of low fat diets - a top marathon runner was on an ultra low fat diet and died of a heart attack, it was found his arteries were 98% occluded with fat.

Last thing - for a rough guide, take your body weight in llbs and times it by 15, this will equal (roughly) how many calories your body needs per day.

For example a 150 llb guy would need 2250 calories (150 X 15). If this person wanted to sustain this weight and they did a TKD session of about an 1 hour they would need to eat an extra 500 - 800 calories.

Work out your ideal weight and eat to it, so if you are 160lbs and want to lose 10 lbs eat 2250 per day plus what is needed to replenish fuel used in workouts - it will be slow loss but as it will be a lifestyle change and not a fad you will probably stick to it.

PS bulletproofalice has a really good point about dropping alcohol, a pint of strong larger is about 300 calories, that turn pretty much straight into fat. 5 pints and you are talking over half a days allowance of calories.

Re: Losing Weight - 03/07/03 06:10 AM

Just thought - Lecithin is pretty good for meatbolising those last few pounds.

Its also good for cholestorol probs.
Posted by: Mun

Re: Losing Weight - 03/31/03 12:44 PM

Go on the Internet and search for Pilates.. I think that you will find it very beneficial.

Re: Losing Weight - 05/09/03 09:38 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mun:
Go on the Internet and search for Pilates.. I think that you will find it very beneficial.[/QUOTE]

Pilates?

I have enjoyed a few sessions of Pilates and it is great for core strenght and well being, but I can't see it helping in weight loss in any great degree.
Posted by: Ender

Re: Losing Weight - 06/07/03 03:05 PM

I lost 60 pounds eating nothing but cereal and salad and walking my dog for 3 hours a night, and lost it over a period of around 3 months actual dieting time.

do NOT take my example. Though it worked for me, it is potentially VERY dangerous as I got almost zero protein or fat, not to mention not eating enough in general.

Slow and steady is the way to be.
Posted by: Zenmeister

Re: Losing Weight - 10/19/03 01:02 PM

During the past summer alone, I have accomplished 50 percent of my goal of losing 30 pounds and maintaining a decent fighting weight as my job requires it. He's the big secret: CARDIO, CARDIO and then more cardio at least 3-4 times a week for 1 to 2 hours a session. I still eat normally and even splurge on occasion with a cheeseburger to treat myself for the hard work. If I followed a stricter diet regimen I definitely would have lost the full 30 pounds or better, but why make my life bland and boring with 3 salads a day? Just seek a diet that works great for your physiology and do consult a professional to check your health before taking on any strenuous regimen.
There are No secrets to it and don't cheat yourself on your workouts, nor should you push anything till it becomes painfully intolerasble. That will only hinder your exercises.
Posted by: joesixpack

Re: Losing Weight - 10/19/03 09:22 PM

UKFF is right, IMO, but the Cambridge diet is said to be superior to Atkins and it's alternatives, as you don't miss out on anything.

The Cambridge diet is highly successful - where did I find out about it? In a linear algebara text as an example of linear programming!

ZenMeister is right about overtraining - I did it once and got so sick with bronchitis, after that, I was so weak I couldn't go for a short run, I had to build up my strength with walking.
You can't beat cardio, mixed with strngth training. Nothing will get rid of a beer gut better than running, good diet and sit ups.

Re: Losing Weight - 10/20/03 06:48 AM

For the fat burning 'Zone' most do best at around 120-130 bpm, this for most is usually a very brisk walk.

This will do best for just hitting the fat stores and inturn use less glycogon (sp?) stores.

I have got the maths somewhere - if anyone is that interested I will dig it out.

So the reason why ender did so well was probably less to do with the diet and more to do with the walking - burning away just fat!

The CV will help and of course it is an essential part of training - but for fat reduction, walking is the way!!
Posted by: Knotty D

Re: Losing Weight - 02/21/04 09:37 AM

I have heard some really nasty stuff about dr akins diet also... think it was said first week nothing but meat cheese and eggs.. how would anyone get the proper balence of nutrience like that?? I would really research it before trying it... I would suggest if you need to loss those last 10 lbs. first off look at your diet. find some type of way to cut something unimportant out...do you drink coffee, alcohol, do you drink anything besides water and the occational O.J? if so just don't drink that.. ive talked to alot of ppl that dont drink anything but what because they say its calories that are not nessisary. protein is a great thing but most protien enriched foods arent compleat protien.....read the link at the bottom i found it very inlightening.... Also remember the last little bit of weight is a bugger in general to loss so it might take some time..

Link---->http://www.trickstutorials.com/mother_main.php

now its related to breakfast but it will be of use for you too.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Losing Weight - 06/18/04 03:59 PM

I wouldn't recommend the Atkins diet at all. Not only are you not getting very many carbs, the red meat isn't really the greatest thing for your diet. I would recommend eating poultry and fish as well as your fruits and veggies. Building muscle mass is a very effective way of burning off fat because it raises your metabolism. Right now I'm struggling to drop my last 10 pounds too.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Losing Weight - 06/19/04 08:45 AM

I can understand your cries. I was once too overweight and teased, but it all changed. After starting kickboxing after being mugged I became much healthier anf fit nd men started to like me. Men will like you guys too if you lose those pounds. All it takes is a little effort. Effort, effort, effort.
Posted by: ken harding

Re: Losing Weight - 06/22/04 06:22 AM

For the fat burning 'Zone' most do best at around 120-130 bpm, this for most is usually a very brisk walk.
This will do best for just hitting the fat stores and inturn use less glycogon (sp?) stores.

I have got the maths somewhere - if anyone is that interested I will dig it out.

So the reason why ender did so well was probably less to do with the diet and more to do with the walking - burning away just fat!

The CV will help and of course it is an essential part of training - but for fat reduction, walking is the way!!

UKFF has it right for this. High heart rates mean burning the body's carb store, lower 120ish to 135 or so and thew body burns fat.
I'll try to post a link that explains it.