front thrust kick injury, thoughts appreciated

Posted by: brownie710

front thrust kick injury, thoughts appreciated - 07/30/12 08:21 AM

I'm headed to the doctor tomorrow for an exam but wondered what the folks with lots of experience in MA think my injury might be. During my orange belt exam I felt a "pop" in my right hip when front thrust kicking my right leg out. I was able to finish the exam (and was promoted) but now have a severe pain in the front of my hip when I bring my knee up to my shoulder (such as when I am sitting on the floor putting a shoe on). The pain is a bit paralyzing to the leg and I can't move my hip until it feels as if a tendon "uncatches" and then I can bend my leg again. Other than during this movement I have no pain and can run and bear weight on it without any pain. Just curious if these symptoms sound familiar and what everyone's thoughts were. Thanks
Posted by: Zach_Zinn

Re: front thrust kick injury, thoughts appreciated - 07/31/12 12:17 AM

No way to say for sure of course, but it sounds like something like:

http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/snapping-hip-syndrome-causes-symptoms-treatments

But yeah...iliopsoas tendonitis or something similar..if it doesn't go away, as always, seek the advice of a professional.

Re: front thrust kick injury, thoughts appreciated - 07/31/12 08:18 AM

Thanks, I'll post up the final diagnosis!

Re: front thrust kick injury, thoughts appreciated - 08/25/12 03:20 PM

I'll post up the diagnosis to see if it helps anyone else in the future. The pain in my hip turned out to be OS Acetabuli wiht hip impingement. Basically it is a per-existing condition where the top part of my femur, instead of being round, has an extra formation of bone on it. Through repetitive kicking the extra bone has irritated and torn the cartilage that helps hold the femur inside the hip. We are waiting six weeks to see if it heals on its own with rest. If it does that is great but the underlying cause, the extra bone, will prohibit me from returning to kicking. If it doesn't then arthro surgery is next and a 3-7 month recovery. I'm hoping it heals and I can work with my dojo about some modified training so I can continue.